Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone know if Charter Arms Corp (pre CHARCO) made a .44 Special Bulldog with a semi-bobbed hammer?

I saw one in a shop today for a very decent price. It's a stainless 1st generation model with a serrated, semi-bobbed hammer. The price was good, but I'm not interested in it if the hammer's been bubba'd.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charter Arms offered shooters a choice of spur or bobbed hammers on their second generation pistols (shrouded ejector rods), and I vaguely seem to recall that a bobbed hammer was also available on the first series guns (exposed ejector rod) but wouldn't swear to it on a stack of Shooter's Bibles.

The Charter Arms .44 Bulldog is an excellent pocket pistol-- Jack Lott at G&A always carried one in the pocket of his jacket and, as I recall, Jeff Cooper had a few kind words for the Bulldog as well.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
Charter Arms offered shooters a choice of spur or bobbed hammers on their second generation pistols (shrouded ejector rods), and I vaguely seem to recall that a bobbed hammer was also available on the first series guns (exposed ejector rod) but wouldn't swear to it on a stack of Shooter's Bibles.

The Charter Arms .44 Bulldog is an excellent pocket pistol-- Jack Lott at G&A always carried one in the pocket of his jacket and, as I recall, Jeff Cooper had a few kind words for the Bulldog as well.
I had a gen 1. Always regretted selling it in the 1980s.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Armen
Does anyone know if Charter Arms Corp (pre CHARCO) made a .44 Special Bulldog with a semi-bobbed hammer?

I saw one in a shop today for a very decent price. It's a stainless 1st generation model with a serrated, semi-bobbed hammer. The price was good, but I'm not interested in it if the hammer's been bubba'd.

Thanks in advance.

The 1st generation CA Bulldogs were not stainless, and were not CHARCO. The 1st gens (real ones) are very good pistols.

What you're seeing is a recent revision; crap shoot as to quality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is correct. ALL originals were blue steel. Stainless guns came in with Charter 2000 and then Charco. They continue with today's Charter Arms - except that you can now also get blued versions as well. There will even be a blued "original re-issue" gun for 2011.

I'm hoping to get one to review side-by-side with my original Bulldog.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That is correct. ALL originals were blue steel. Stainless guns came in with Charter 2000 and then Charco. They continue with today's Charter Arms - except that you can now also get blued versions as well. There will even be a blued "original re-issue" gun for 2011.

Will it be identical to the old ones from the 1980s, i.e., exposed ejector rod, three inch barrel? If so, I might just pick one up.

Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all for the info. I better go take a second look at that revolver. I didn't see the Ansonia, CONN address on the barrel so I assumed it was a first generation model. Ejector rod was shrouded. It was stainless but not "frosted" stainless, so I figured it wasn't a 3rd Gen. model, either.

It was in a pawn shop for $225. I was going to try to get it out of there for $200, but if it's a 2nd Gen. model I think I'll pass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I own a 1st generation Charter Arms 44 Bulldog stainless steel w/ the bobbed hammer. It has the unshrouded ejector, is marked "Bulldog .44 Spl" on the left side of the barrel. The right side is marked "Charter Arms Corp. Stratford, Conn". I've owned this gun for at least 20 years, I suppose. I bought it used, but I have the box and papers for it. The box says it is a Bulldog F.S., neoprene grips and pocket hammer, 3" barrel .44 Spl, bright stainless. It isn't actually a "bright" stainless, more of a shinier matte. The neoprene grips look like the longer Uncle Mikes you see on some Smith 642's, w/ silver Charter Arms medallions. The model number is 74433P. Hope this clears up any confusion! If I was smart enuf, I would put up pics, but so sorry! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that is truly a First Generation (not an official name) then a stainless one is news to me. But upon checking with my Blue Book, I see that a few stainless models WERE made by the original Stratford CT company as well as in brushed electroless nickel. The original Charter Arms company dissolved in 1991, so they only made stainless ones for two years.

Dang! Learn sumpin new ever damn day!

C
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Will it be identical to the old ones from the 1980s, i.e., exposed ejector rod, three inch barrel? If so, I might just pick one up.

Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I just sold off one of my .357's and have been looking at the Bulldog to replace it. As far as I know, their new classic model will be pretty similar to the original. I just wish they'd get a picture up on their website: http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Bulldog_Classic.html

"Let us climb a mountain, hanging on by low scragged limbs." - Roger Zelanzany
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If that is truly a First Generation (not an official name) then a stainless one is news to me. But upon checking with my Blue Book, I see that a few stainless models WERE made by the original Stratford CT company as well as in brushed electroless nickel. The original Charter Arms company dissolved in 1991, so they only made stainless ones for two years.

Dang! Learn sumpin new ever damn day!

The "Charco" references blows that possibility out of the water.

Still, that's good to know going forward re: Stratford guns.

However, "1st gen" Bulldogs would be stamped "Bridgeport", as I'm more than sure you know.

Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm now wondering if its finish was brushed electroless nickel.

Regarding generations, this is what I've just read from another forum, not sure if it's accurate:

FIRST GENERATION:
S/N 0 - ~3000 = no address; 1964-1966
S/N ~3000 - ~31,500 = Bridgeport, CN; 1967-1969
S/N ~31,500 - 1,090,000 = Stratford, CN; 1970-1991

SECOND GENERATION (CHARCO):
S/N ~1,100,00 - ??? = Ansonia, CN; ~1991-1999

Not sure where Charter2000 falls into all this, or the serial number ranges of the new, 3rd Gen. guns.

I'm going back to the shop this Tuesday to take a closer look. I'm learning a lot from everyone's input here, so thanks again. Since seeing the revolver yesterday it's been a crash course in Charter Arms for me.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Current model has one version with bobbed hammer as I remember it.

Look down the barrel with some extra light and see how smooth it is.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Current model has one version with bobbed hammer as I remember it.

Look down the barrel with some extra light and see how smooth it is.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Crookedknife
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I just sold off one of my .357's and have been looking at the Bulldog to replace it. As far as I know, their new classic model will be pretty similar to the original. I just wish they'd get a picture up on their website: http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Bulldog_Classic.html
Yep, seems just about the same. From the site: "The Bulldog Classic features walnut checkered grips, a 3" tapered barrel, fixed sites and exposed extractor."

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

I hope you are planning on posting your review here when it's done. I'm very curious about the product.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Armen
I'm now wondering if its finish was brushed electroless nickel.

Regarding generations, this is what I've just read from another forum, not sure if it's accurate:

FIRST GENERATION:
S/N 0 - ~3000 = no address; 1964-1966
S/N ~3000 - ~31,500 = Bridgeport, CN; 1967-1969
S/N ~31,500 - 1,090,000 = Stratford, CN; 1970-1991

SECOND GENERATION (CHARCO):
S/N ~1,100,00 - ??? = Ansonia, CN; ~1991-1999

Not sure where Charter2000 falls into all this, or the serial number ranges of the new, 3rd Gen. guns.

I'm going back to the shop this Tuesday to take a closer look. I'm learning a lot from everyone's input here, so thanks again. Since seeing the revolver yesterday it's been a crash course in Charter Arms for me.

Those SNs aren't right.

Bridgeport guns ran up to at least 285,000.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, is my Stratford gun a first generation or not? I thought any Bulldog with the unshrouded ejector was first generation, but what do I know. I'm certainly no authority on Bulldogs, I just keep it around as a novelty. A lot of people, when they see it, immediately want to buy it! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mudstud
So, is my Stratford gun a first generation or not? I thought any Bulldog with the unshrouded ejector was first generation, but what do I know. I'm certainly no authority on Bulldogs, I just keep it around as a novelty. A lot of people, when they see it, immediately want to buy it! grin
Prior to the new Classic model, any Bulldog with an exposed ejector rod is, I'm pretty sure, first gen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine is a 2�" bull barrel made in Stratford.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,518
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.