Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obviously.(grin)

Your S/S MR barreled action notions,is very sound and tough to whoop,in a multitude of their offerings. Throats/twists,typically jive nicely and them is good things.

I'm a fan of punting issued 700 potmetal BDL bottoms offa cliff,for a hard Use Rifle and have loonnnggggg been hip on ADL blind mags.

The issued 1st Gen Ti handles are ADL and will shave a full pound off the LSS MR and none of them things are concessions.

Hint...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd be in 6x42 Faux Ti 280AI Mode.

Would also want(have) killer binos/spotter,as opposed to blowing out 13 miles of country a day on foot and would suggest a leetle Scouting to boot.

Just sayin'...................

I think the only think that gets more over exaggerated than "miles per day" is the round counts that some guys throw out there...

In the right terrain and less vegetation,a guy can amass some serious mileage...I'd not slight that..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn right. In New Mexico a guy can cover some ground. BTDT.

Agar, where you from in NM? I grew up there...

Ive had two Mountain LSS's. Accuracy can be very good; my 7-08 is a great shooter. I love the shape of the stock.

The BALANCE of the LSS's is wonky, though- very butt-heavy. This is correctable by hollowing the butt but it's a non-trivial job.

The rifle will drop into a Bell & Carlson Fiberglas stock- what's being called a faux Ti- and that would balance better and be light. A good upgrade path for the future... but let me add my voice to those saying get a Kimber Montana! From what's available and from you seeming to want light recoil and high velocity, a 270 WSM would be pretty sweet.

You get a lot with a Montana. The stock is top-notch, and so is the trigger.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In 7-08,it's tough not to side with 700 mag constraints and throating.

But the Montucky is a better turnkey package,over the counter.....................

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Big Stick/Jeff O,

I'm from Los Alamos, NM. Born and raised.

Thanks for sticking up for me on the mileage thing. Honestly, I would have called BS on that one myself as well....until I got a GPS. I picked up a GPS a few years back and started carting it around in my pack for both curiosity and an attempt to try to "chart" our hunts. After I saw the results, I showed them to my uncle in an attempt to promote more glassing. He then pointed to his wall and walked away. Couldn't argue with that.

What's involved in hollowing out the butt of the laminated stock? Is there a proven method to this madness, and are we in gunsmith territory, or is it DIY?

As I mentioned before, I've lugged around my SAKO 300 Win for miles at a time, and it is no lightweight. It shoots and feels awesome so I wouldn't shelve it for anything. I'm just wanting to add something to the arsenal, and have always had a hankering for a laminated stock. At the same time, I wouldn't mind trying out what 13 miles feels like with a pound or two less on my back (but not at the expense of accuracy and reliability).

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Forget the laminate man cave.

Go Faux and live................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Agar426
Big Stick/Jeff O,

I'm from Los Alamos, NM. Born and raised.

Thanks for sticking up for me on the mileage thing. Honestly, I would have called BS on that one myself as well....until I got a GPS. I picked up a GPS a few years back and started carting it around in my pack for both curiosity and an attempt to try to "chart" our hunts. After I saw the results, I showed them to my uncle in an attempt to promote more glassing. He then pointed to his wall and walked away. Couldn't argue with that.

What's involved in hollowing out the butt of the laminated stock? Is there a proven method to this madness, and are we in gunsmith territory, or is it DIY?

As I mentioned before, I've lugged around my SAKO 300 Win for miles at a time, and it is no lightweight. It shoots and feels awesome so I wouldn't shelve it for anything. I'm just wanting to add something to the arsenal, and have always had a hankering for a laminated stock. At the same time, I wouldn't mind trying out what 13 miles feels like with a pound or two less on my back (but not at the expense of accuracy and reliability).

Remington does some odd things. One of them is putting their "light" rifle in the heaviest stock material there is (laminate)! crazy

They really should offer a MR "Lite" in the B&C stock.... but that would be too easy....

I've hollowed 3 of those buttstocks (I also have a M7 LSS). It requires a good vice, a good drill motor, and an assortment of good bits including some big ones. Also some files and a rotary file you can chuck up in the drill is very useful. But, it's the big bits that do the real hogging and get you deep into the... butt (great, here it comes... lol). I was real worried I would split the stock a few times when a big bit grabbed and torqued, but plywood is pretty good about not splitting....plus I figured, I couldn't like the stock as it was so if I did ruin it, it wasn't a huge loss- "only" the used value of the stock ($125?).... anyway, I would say any fairly handy person could do it.

If I were starting from scratch and wanted a light Remington MR in it's "highest and best" form, I'd buy a stainless one, fix the trigger, sell the laminate stock, and put a $500 McStock on it. Next best would be to get the B&C stock ($200-ish new).

You'll hear all manner of stuff about Kimbers. My experience is limited to just one, a .325, but it would print groups under an inch. I like the overall package enough that I'm sticking another $600 into it for a new barrel (7 WSM) in an attempt to make an "ultimate" open country rifle. And in fact, if you want to really nail this one to the wall, there's your huckleberry! Find a cheap Montana WSM (.325's turn up for $700-800 new sometimes) then put a premium 7 WSM barrel on it for $450-600). But for WAY less hassle the 270 WSM will be almost as cool and much easier to procure.

Los Alamos, man, you are right there in it! Spent a huge part of my youth up in the Pecos wilderness... the Mora... split about 50/50 with the Gila down south. Sigh. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Big Stick,

Most companies outsource their fiberglass stocks, i.e. B&C, McM, etc. I would guess Remington did that, too. Who made that 1st Gen Ti 700 stock?

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
B&C as oft mentioned...............

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go with the M700 LSS 257 Weatherby. The Remington thin barrels shoot just fine.
Here is one on many groups I have shot from my M700 LSS 338 RUM with a factory 26" barrel.
[Linked Image]
JD338

IC B3

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grab the 270 LSS, sell the stock for $100+ and pick up a Ti take-off or hop on here

( http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-190/700-alaskan-ti-wildermess/Detail )

and for $200+ you have a pillar bedded ADL stock and a just sub 6lb. 270 win. to lug around.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JD338
Go with the M700 LSS 257 Weatherby. The Remington thin barrels shoot just fine.
Here is one on many groups I have shot from my M700 LSS 338 RUM with a factory 26" barrel.
[Linked Image]
JD338

Sir,

Light barrels "don't shoot"!..............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Would also want(have) killer binos/spotter,as opposed to blowing out 13 miles of country a day on foot and would suggest a leetle Scouting to boot.

I think the only think that gets more over exaggerated than "miles per day" is the round counts that some guys throw out there...

As already mentioned, in that desolate country, guys that still stay on a track for days are really something to see in action..I seen an old guy do it in unit 2C in NM, no gps, but we covered lots of miles, muleys in that country travel.And guys like that will consistently pull big bucks from area's that looks like it couldn't support a chigger.They also, seemingly off instinct or lay of the land, know when to slow down and glass so they dont blow 2 days worth of tracking, I learned a lot on that trip.

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by rosco1

As already mentioned, in that desolate country, guys that still stay on a track for days are really something to see in action..I seen an old guy do it in unit 2C in NM, no gps, but we covered lots of miles, muleys in that country travel.And guys like that will consistently pull big bucks from area's that looks like it couldn't support a chigger.They also, seemingly off instinct or lay of the land, know when to slow down and glass so they dont blow 2 days worth of tracking, I learned a lot on that trip.

I hear you. My uncle is amazing. He made fun of me for getting the GPS. I actually got it for mapping out unfamiliar areas, but was toying with it in our usual stomping grounds. Anyhow, the cool thing about tracking with my uncle is he's got an amazing ability to stay focused and it keeps me focused, you always feel like the buck is going to be around the next bend. He knows when the buck is looking to bed vs. when he's checking his back trail (even though the difference in sign is subtle), etc, etc. Anybody can track a buck after a rain or snow. But to do it when there's been neither for days, and other tracks mingling in...As much as I've tried to pick it up, I will never be able to hang with my uncle. I'm often convinced he's chasing a ghost, when moments later the buck will jump up in front of us. Another cool thing about tracking is that you're not limited to first and last light. The hunt goes on throughout the day, and you don't have to worry about what the moon is doing or anything like that. We actually make a pretty good team, because I hear better than he does, so I can hear them jump from their beds and that can buy us a moment or two. When tracking, you've only got moments....one of the downsides.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Agar426
Educate me on this combo...and the "faux ti" comment from earlier. I am not familiar with this set up....

The faux ti comment that you'll often see reference to on here is to take a Mountain Barrel profiled action and putting it in a 1st generation Remington Ti stock (150-200.00 range) or a McMillian Edge for 500 ish.

Some people will than send the bolt off to be fluted/lightened.

Remington also did offer this in a factory combo special runs made for both Gander Mtn and Cabelas. The Gander gun was stainless, the Cabelas one is blued. These two set-ups are about a 1/4 lb from the 1st generation Titanium action rifles.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Laminated stocks can run pretty heavy. They make good target stocks, but for hunting and carrying, I think the high end fiberglass offerings are the way to go. At least IMHO.

Some like the fixed power Leupold 6x42 and I think good points are made. If the difference I see between the older Vari X III and the new VX-3 variables are any indication, The newer FX series 6x42 may be a good jump ahead of the earlier versions. I haven't seen one to compare. Any reports on the FX vs the M8 or the one that followed it would be appreciated.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tdn
Grab the 270 LSS, sell the stock for $100+ and pick up a Ti take-off or hop on here

( http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-190/700-alaskan-ti-wildermess/Detail )

and for $200+ you have a pillar bedded ADL stock and a just sub 6lb. 270 win. to lug around.

Good advice, along with Talley Lightweights and a 2.5-8X36 or 6X42 Leupold. IMHO

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Purchased the Remington 700 MR 30-06. Sold the laminated stock and dropped the action into a new take-off Ti stock. Purchased all the parts for an ADL setup. The rifle out of the box weighted 6.62 pounds. Mounted in the Ti ADL configuration with scope and DNZ base it now weighs 6 pounds 10 ounces. Total cost might be around $1,100.00 invested with scope which is a Leupold 3-9 compact.
[Linked Image]

2 shot group with factory Federal 180gr ammo.
[Linked Image]

The 257 or the 270 would do just fine in a Ti stock.

Ken

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (06hunter59, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 9,712 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,359
Posts18,546,831
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.