Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend and I are booked for DG hunts in Zim in August 2011. As this will be his first trip to Africa he's been keeping tabs on the political situation there through the US press. He sent me this NYT article which seems pretty ominous Mugabe to Consolidate Power in 2011.

I trust my PH and have contacted him for an assessment of the situation - awaiting a response. I know some here have reliable sources and experience in Zim. What is your take on the conditions? Are we headed for a replay of the last elections? Would you hunt in Zim in Summer 2011?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This same topic was brought up, over on AR. Most feel that safety for hunters will stay the same. Hope so, cause my son and I will be in Zim., early August, hunting with Martin Pieters boys.

maddog

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would hunt in Zimbabwe in 2011. In fact, i am sending a couple guys over. I feel that by and large the people of Zimbabwe are wonderful. The same rule of thumb applies as over here: stay out of situations that could cause problems. As long as you aren't hanging around the major cities for any significant amount of time everything should be just fine. In fact, i believe the situation is gradually improving from just a couple years ago.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have been hunting and sending clients to Zimbabwe since 1996 without having any issues. Most recently I spent the whole month of September 2010 in Zimbabwe hunting with clients. We hunted ten days at Matetsi and then travelled to Bulawayo to pick up the next group. From there we travelled to Mokore Safaris in the Save Valley. We basically travelled the entire length of the country. We ran into several roadblocks along the way. These were not threatening, just police checking for proper vehicle registrations etc a nuisance at most. The conversion to the US dollar a little over a year ago has worked wonders. Fuel, which was a problem to buy previously, was readily available and the grocery stores were once again fully stocked. The only exposure you will have to the cities are when you are arriving and departing your safari. I plan on taking my seventeen year old daughter and her best friend to Zimbabwe with me next summer.
I hope this gives you a little piece of mind.
Zimbabwe is one of my favorite hunting destinations in Africa and the people are some the most hospitable you will find anywhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
100% spot on. Zim is totally safe. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a fantastic hunting opportunity lined up for leopard in both 2006 and 2008. Both times, I got cold feet and backed out due to fears and concerns. Seems I would have had an uneventful trip (aside from the hunting of course) either year.

Made the commitment (no backing out) for 2011 and 2012. Looking forward to my trips to Zimbabwe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same $hit, different year. Just go and have fun. I'm heading back for another crack at Mr. Spots in '12.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
100% spot on. Zim is totally safe. jorge

Who's going to believe you? You think crashing aircraft into boats is safe. Sheesh! grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, it's a "controlled" crash! smile

PS: did you see my latest target on my DR thread here on the Africa Forum? Oh, and the Sabbati-bashing is getting really ugly over on AR smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First, NEVER believe ANYTHING you read in the NY Pravda.

Second, you'll be fine, the safari/tourism industry is about the only source of foreign exchange Mugabestan has left. He's not about to let anything endanger that.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Heard from my PH today. His take is that if there were risk with election time violence, it would be pretty much confined to those politically active and involved in rallies and similar activities.

I tend to think he's right, so August should find is in Zim, after elephant for me and Cape buffalo and PG for my hunting partner.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You had better not go...very dangerous. Let me go in your place.;)
Dollarization has made a difference. I had no issues while in Matetsi spring of 2010.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Too late, all arrangements booked, so I'll take my chances. grin

Probably no riskier than it's been the last 10 years, based on what I've found out. Honestly felt less safe in Maputo than in Bulawayo when I was there 2 years ago. Life's about risk anyhow.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would go in a heartbeat (and would feel safe taking my infant son and wife)

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am headed over in the middle of September for a few weeks. I am more nervous about my guns not showing up then problems in Zim. It should be a fun time.

Greg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More stable then Belgian Congo, less stable then Rhodesia.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
More stable then Belgian Congo, less stable then Rhodesia.

???

Thought Zim WAS southern Rhodesia.....or did you mean Zambia[northern rhodesia]

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think he meant it's less stable than when it was Rhodesia??

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by RAC

ooh la la, and while you are trusting that link the rest of Africa has to contend with the truth.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.