Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
brif Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this or not; but here goes. I live in wisconsin and have been traveling to south dakota, north dakota, and wyoming to shoot prairie dogs for the last 13yrs.

When you travel with pals how do you split costs? Of these 13 trips I have taken we have used my vehicle 9 times, the other guys vehicle 4 times, and the 3rd guy never. We have in the past split the fuel costs evenly, but with the wear and tear costs on the vehicles it ends up costing me more. If we would take turns using each others vehicles it wouldn't bother me as much.

I am also concerned about if our firearms were to get stolen; that my pals would expect me or my insurance company to pick up the tab. After talking to my agent I found out they will not. I could see one of the guys sueing me if that was to happen (he would also over inflate the value of his stuff as well).

I usually buy a new vehicle every 2-3yrs. I have had new half tons from dodge, chevy and nissan; I have to listen to complaints due to fuel economy every fill up. I have also had to purchase tonneau covers or toppers to protect our gear (I use this stuff on these trips only), again more cost.

In short, I'm asking what should I do? I can't afford to drive out there alone, I can't afford to replace their stuff if the worst was to happen, and I really can't keep absorbing the extra costs with taking my vehicle all the time. This has been eating at me for quite a while and I need some advice. Thanks guys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would try talking to the guys you hunt with and tell them the stuff you just put on here.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was always the guy with the 4X4 PU, the travel trailer, and the boat.

Now I'm the guy with the 4X4 flower planter, derelict trailer where the starlings nest, and the Leaking Lena. crazy

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I've driven my truck 9 times. Next time I'm riding. You guys can figure out who's driving next year."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As best you can, figure your total cost each trip. Then with explanations have them pay their share up front, plus sign a waver for the guns.
My guess is your going to have to live with the whining if these fellas go.

Better yet, find new hunting buddies.

Anyone I thought would sue me would not ride in my rig.

Or try your best to forget what extra it is costing you and enjoy a trip you couldn't do otherwise.
Good luck whatever you decide.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
When J. D. Jones faced this problem, they rented a vehicle (in his case a spacious Lincoln Town Car and all costs were divided equally and driving was divided with whomever wanted to drive. I always thought this a remarkable solution, but then I think Jones is a pretty smart guy.

I also agree that if I thought someone would sue me over a known and shared risk, they wouldn't be making the trip with me. I mean WTF.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Definitely find new "pals".

Then, don't worry so much about the invisible costs. It's your investment in having a trip you enjoy with folks you enjoy (see above, though).

I just googled up AAA's calculated cost of driving. In 2009 it was about 70 cents per mile for an SUV, only 15 of that being gas.
So perhaps the owner can be left out of the fuel cost sharing.

If you can't afford the costs, perhaps you shouldn't go every year.

When our gang drives together, in one to three vehicles, we all share fuel costs.
Sometimes some of us fly in and rent a car. In that case, the flyer pays his own way and none of the other fuel.

My buddy bought a wall tent for use on our trips. It's an item he'll never use alone, it being so large. Several of us have tossed him a hundred dollar bill each trip, for reimbursement, wear and tear, and eventual replacement.
But he bought it on his own hook. And we've donated as gestures of appreciation.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It seems pretty clear from your description that your pals aren't really such great pals. Be frank with them about the situation and make it clear you can't continue to bear the lion's share of the cost, liability and wear and tear on your vehicle. If they're unwilling to share the burden more equitably, it's time to either recruit new hunting pals, cut down your trips, rent a vehicle or fly.

The one thing that bothers me most about your post is the fact that you could see one of the guys suing you. If you really believe that, you already know all you need to know.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I have gone out west dog shooting who ever drives pays nothing for gas and when we get home we make sure he is reimbursed for an oil change.

That only seems fair to me, and we have never had an issue with the guys that I used to go with.

Unfortunately we lost our spot to shoot dogs and haven't been back since 2008 frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to agree with the others on who your friends are. Or aren't. There's four to five in my group. We go out several times a year. For the last 10 or so years. Not once have we talked aboutg money. We all chip in what we can afford. On longer trips, we just kinda naturally take turns buying meals, paying for gas, food, etc. One other guy and I went in together on a used trailer. I've never even thought about asking the others for some money even though everyone uses it. We don't all go every time anyway. It all comes down to how good of friends you all are. I think it would suck not going anymore, but I don't think I could go hunting with guys that I entered into a business like agreement with.

You're either pals or not I guess.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If another guy uses his vehicle, he does not pay gas, tolls or other road expenses.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep] Yankees are a different breed. Guns get stolen out of your car and one guy would sue you? I guess I'm cut from a different cloth and won't suffer [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[bleep] Yankees are a different breed. Guns get stolen out of your car and one guy would sue you? I guess I'm cut from a different cloth and won't suffer [bleep].

C'mon, man. For every Yankee scumbag there's one to match from XYZ. Geography's got bugger all to do with sad excuses for humanoids. Surely you don't believe all of what you read, do you? Rhetorical question.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
We always put a couple hundred bucks each into a pot and take fuel and vehicle expenses out of the pot. When the pot runs dry, we all ante up again. But suing a 'pal' over a stolen rifle????? Y'all got some weird friends. Thinking I'd change that one out real quick.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to make cross country hunting trip drives annually with a group of friends. Did it for many years. Our rule was vechicle owner paid nothing for fuel. The guy that would sue woulda never made a 2nd trip. 163bc

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still don't change the facts that Yankees is odd. Betwixt the guy 2 stands down taking the deer that the first Yankee shot to suing a hunting partner. Biggest cluster [bleep] hunters I've seen have all been Yankees.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still don't change the facts that Yankees is odd. Betwixt the guy 2 stands down taking the deer that the first Yankee shot to suing a hunting partner. Biggest cluster [bleep] hunters I've seen have all been Yankees.

The only hard-core poachers I've ever known were both from Louisiana. Gospel truth. Bayou Lafouche and some parish or another they hailed from. What conclusions should I draw from that, then? Slippery slope, man, right? Wait a sec... Ha, ha. He said 'slope'... wink

7:00 already? Damn, I need to think about getting into my coffin.

wink

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you want something killed, get someone from Louisiana. If you want to hear someone bitch, get a yankee.

Guess if the majority of my hunting was in a state with 8 million other orange pumpkins for a 9 days with the hopes of seeing 1 buck every 7.3 years I'd likely be a [bleep] of a hunter. Thankfully I ain't.

Typical my puzzy hurts, wear my emotions on my sleeve, victim response from another typical Yankee cunny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want something killed, get someone from Louisiana. If you want to hear someone bitch, get a yankee.

Guess if the majority of my hunting was in a state with 8 million other orange pumpkins for a 9 days with the hopes of seeing 1 buck every 7.3 years I'd likely be a [bleep] of a hunter. Thankfully I ain't.

Typical my puzzy hurts, wear my emotions on my sleeve, victim response from another typical Yankee cunny.

Hmm. I'm guessing you have the potential to be a mean drunk. wink

OK, Scott. You win. All Yankees are a lot of whining, spineless worms that don't know nuttin' 'bout 'nuttin. Generalizations are just that, but if you feel like you've got it all figured out, well sheeit, more power to you, boss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey brif,

I too have driven much more than anyone else in my group. I'm also the guy that picks everyone up at the airport and delivers them. I also do 95% of the hunt planning as well.

Here is how I do it: the guy that drives pays for no gas. If 4 of you go, the gas gets split 3 ways.

I sat my crew down and had that talk with them ~ 4-5 years ago and they all understood.

If they can't get a handle on that, then its time for new "friends"..........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (44mc, 35, 345dl, 338rcm, 300Sav, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,575
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.