Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm wanting to get my son a Remington SPS Camo Compact in 7mm-08, but can't seem to find one. Even my FFL can't get one. The Remington website says it's new, so I'm guessing it isn't available yet.

Any idea on when new models are available?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agar426 - the rifle you really want (and have been waiting for) becomes available the day AFTER you grow tired of waiting and buy something else instead. Regards, Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why the camo model? You have to wear orange when you hunt with a rifle anyway. Kind of defeats the purpose of camo. The SS and blued models in ADL format are out in abundance in 7mm-08. Great little rifles. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My son just turned 9, and I simply feel it is something that he will dig. The camo is not at all for concealment...my son digs it and it's available as a compact. As for the orange, here in NM, we aren't required to wear orange to hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd paint it orange.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd paint it orange.................

TFF...you don't hunt with, or around anyone with a orange rifle do ya Stick?!...Grin

MK
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Orange is stealthy...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agar426,

How about consider restocking a rifle, or selecting another "camo" rig?

Very good of you to get your son into the outdoors. Nothing will make it more appealing for him, then to have his own "COOL" rifle.

B8

MK
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Much to be said,for letting them paint their own stuff..................

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Big8
Agar426,

How about consider restocking a rifle, or selecting another "camo" rig?

Very good of you to get your son into the outdoors. Nothing will make it more appealing for him, then to have his own "COOL" rifle.

B8

That's the gist right there....we've been looking around for quite some time, and that's the model he chose. I'm not dead set on it, but I'm in no rush...he doesn't need the gun tomorrow and my FFL has a good price on it (once it's available) so if I can manage it, I'd like to get the one he picked. I figure anything that gets him excited about being outdoors, and quite frankly a 9 year old gets thrilled pretty easily.

Back to the question at hand though....not "which gun should I buy my son" but does anybody know when Remington releases their new models? I can't call them from work, and they are closed when I get home.

Truthfully, thanks everyone for all the responses. I always seem to get interested in rifles that are hard to come by.

Last edited by Agar426; 02/22/11.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't buy him a Milk Jug.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree Stick..better to buy the little guy something of good quality from the get go then to get him something "okay" at best that will be worth null after hard use.

Agar, I would think you will see the new products sometime this summer, late spring (maybe..grin)

Why not get him a cheap 700 sps, and put it in a swirley McMillan for him? You could let him pick the colors out, and get the LOP exact for him..not to mention it would last him a lifetime..literally. And re-sale will be light years above a hollow Remington stock.

Plus, his friends will surely be jealous.

B8

MK
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Agar426
I always seem to get interested in rifles that are hard to come by.

Try having a hankering for a .300 H&H.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agar426,

I think you will see them in the spring time. Alot of good advice here but if you want to get the boy what he wants and will get/keep him motivated about hunting and the outdoors, go for it!

MGunns

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree Stick..better to buy the little guy something of good quality from the get go then to get him something "okay" at best that will be worth null after hard use.

Agar, I would think you will see the new products sometime this summer, late spring (maybe..grin)

Why not get him a cheap 700 sps, and put it in a swirley McMillan for him? You could let him pick the colors out, and get the LOP exact for him..not to mention it would last him a lifetime..literally. And re-sale will be light years above a hollow Remington stock.

B8

One of the Wife's friends came over with a troubled rifle that she inherited and was talking about a rifle for her daughter,which is one of Sister's best friends.

Handed her(the Mom) a Montucky 223I and she said "where do I get one?!"...but faster than that.(grin) That if only because I had alotta other stuff laying around,that I was playing with today.

Good schit sells itself..................

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks everyone for your help! I truly do appreciate all the great advice.

Believe it or not, I started shopping for his first gun when he was born. I settled on a Model Seven LS. The problem arose when I took my sweet time to buy it, and lo and behold it went out of production. I completely understand the quality of the factory Rem stock. That's part of what I like actually. The action is 700 all the way. I can always re-stock down the road after it's had some miles on it. In the meantime, the "cool" factor will keep him wanting to use it. That means more time in the field, more time at the range, more time learning how to maintain it, etc.

Last edited by Agar426; 02/22/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stocks matter now,because milk jugs is heavy.

Hint................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last time I waited for a newly catalogued rifle from Remington, it became available in June/July.

Sometimes they catalogue a rifle and never produce it(according to the distributor).

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck Agar, im sure he will love whatever tool he ends up with.

Remember, good glass is (as) important as the firing platform...

B8

MK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick

B8

One of the Wife's friends came over with a troubled rifle that she inherited and was talking about a rifle for her daughter,which is one of Sister's best friends.

Handed her(the Mom) a Montucky 223I and she said "where do I get one?!"...but faster than that.(grin) That if only because I had alotta other stuff laying around,that I was playing with today.

Good schit sells itself..................

Stick, does Sister carry a Montucky quite often? If so...Did you "adjust" the LOP for her? How does she handle it?

I think one of those little Montanas in .223 would be more then fun for my lady..and well, a hell of an excuse for me to buy one..Grin..

B8

MK
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,024
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.