Print Thread
Hop To
J
joebuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Alright guys I have run across a Colt Trooper MK III .357 with the electroless nickel finish, 6" barrel, original box and paperwork. The guy that has it is the original owner, bought in or around 1979. He said it was a MK II but after doing a very quick search it appears that is has to be a MK III. I have not put my eyes or hands on this gun yet. How is the overall quality of this gun? I know it is not on the same level as a Python. Anything in particular I should be looking for when I see the pistol? What is the value of this gun if it is in very good shape (as described by the owner)?

Thanks for any and all help/advice.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a 6" Mk III from the same vintage but blued.

It was very accurate, very strong and had a great trigger, overall the quality was excellent. You will not be disappointed with it.

Mine was unfortunately stolen in a burglary. While not having the panache of the Python, I would frankly rate it the better "using" gun of the two.

Couldn't tell you the value, best check gunbroker to see what folks are asking for similar models.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
joebuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks Jim. I am pretty sure I can buy this pistol for $400. Do you guys think that is a fair deal?

Also, found out that the gun was originally blued. The gunshop that the current owner bought the gun from in 1979 had it sent back to the Colt Custom Shop for another customer and they put the electroless nickel finish on it. When the gun shop received the gun back from Colt the guy did not like it so he did not buy it. The owner of the gun shop called the guy I am dealing with and he went down and bought the gun. So now ya'll know what I know.

Thanks for any help you can lend .....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That�s a smoking deal, grab it. The original Trooper had the same lock work as a Python, but the Mk III has a much more simplified lockwork that is a bit more robust, but not quite as nice. Still, I�ve always been able to get great actions working on the Mk III and its one of my favorite .357�s. Triggers and lockwork are much more like a S&W in feel and in action, which is why I�ve always had a soft spot for the Mk III.

Many think the Mk III was created to compete with the S&W 19, but it was actually intended to compete directly with the S&W 28 Highway Patrolman, and if you ask me, it kicks the Highway Patrolman�s butt as a law enforcement revolver. The Mk III is a brute strong .357 much stronger than a S&W 19 and every bit as strong as a 686. Accuracy is very good.

The only problem with the Mk III is that it has a unique frame and grip options are very limited. My last one had Pachmayr Presentation grips which were okay, but I really wanted something better.

Satin nickel is just electroless nickel applied over a corse bead blasted surface presenting a matte finish. Electroless nickel is one of the most rust resistant things in existence, but it can be made ugly by the use of some solvents like Hoppe�s #9, and especially ammonia based copper solvents. If you have an electroless nickel gun I strongly recommend investigating what the best cleaning solvents are. I don�t have extensive experience with electroless nickel, but I have had good luck with CLP in the past. Use the right solvent for cleaning and your gun will look great and resist the elements better than most any other finish.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (7mm_Loco, 43Shooter, 260Remguy, 1badf350, 19 invisible), 17,243 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,142
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.