Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

A local gun dealer told me that the best gun financial investment was not Belgium Brownings, pre-64 Winchesters, first generation Colt SAA, or anything like those.

He said it was Plain-Jane J-frame S&W 38 Special revolvers.

He said that if you invested your money in J-frame S&W 38 Specials, you can sell them any day (more liquid than oil), don't have to wait for political or other events to create excitement, and don't have to be studious or knowledgeable about specific models or fakes.

Just buy plain NIB J-frame S&W pocket revolvers and hold them until you want to generate cash for a profit.

Thoughts ?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Umm, I might suggest a Holland & Holland Royal Double or a Purdey for starters, if one has the means.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sounds as if he had some revolvers he wanted to sell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is your level of return on investment? 5%,10%...50%
Pre-owned firearm will do that but at a slower rate than thought.
I buy,Pre-64's either Winchesters,Colts,S&W and sporter Mausers.
Put one kid thru collage with a S&W collection....

I've stayed away from military-type,antiques and customs,fun to own and play with, but a narrow market for resale or trade.

The English gun market requires a lot of attention to details,which can be a good return or a bust.I have one Jeffery shotgun I can double my money on now,but have lost on a rifle a few years ago....

Last edited by rifle; 02/23/11.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would think in this economic climate, any gun is worth buying for future sale. I would caution against off calibers and stick with the tried and true. In a SWTF situation, people are not going to want weird chamberings or hard to find ammo.

The bottom line is buy cheap easily feed guns and then you will see a maximum return on your "investment". years ago I bought a brand new SKS for $49. I bet I could get $350-400 for it now without much trouble.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Timing is always important. If your holding a gun to sell when you need the money, you won't get full value. Buyers can sense when you need to sell.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The thing I have a hard time with "gun collecting" is having all that money tied up sitting on a shelf for years on end guessing at what the future market is going to be when I try to sell it.

The only "gun collecting" I do is buying a gun now and again that I really like with my hobby money. Unless I get a bargain that I'm going to turn around and resell I never buy anything under the illusion that it's going to actually make money. I doubt most guns other than high grade collectors pieces even keep up with inflation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy what you like, take reasonable care of it and just hang on to it. Unless it's a junker it seems that any gun will appreciate in value.

Who'da thunk a Nylon 66 would be going for $350, or 788's for upwards of $500?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like anything it isn't just the type you buy. Grade and condition comes into play. Those that invested in Classic American Doubleguns have done really well as have those that invested in the English Doubles. I wouldn't be investing in something I knew nothing about weather that be guns, stocks, bonds, Baseball cards, or ect.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I would have had the means and foreknowledge to buy 200 SKS's when they were under $100. I sold one at the height of the frenzy a year or two ago for $675 (some ammo, 2 stocks, bayonet, etc). That is a profit margin I can live with!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't buy guns as investments. Truthfully, there aren't that many guns that are very good investments at all, if by "investment" you mean an asset that brings a good monetary return later... at least compared to other traditional "investments."

However, I definitely use the "investment" angle to justify the gun purchases I've made to my wife.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. I would be inclined to go with some European double rifles or high end shotguns. On the home front, maybe some Shiloh Sharps.

Looking at the rack in the stores, anything with a wood stock is probably going to be tomorrow's classic

Last edited by 1minute; 02/23/11.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Ranger on this one....
If I had had ten grand cash I would have ordered a stack of Russky SKS's when they first hit. I ordered a stack of ten for my local buddies, kept two (the most pimped-out) for myself. The effective interest rate would be over 8 percent, I think, perhaps more if they were cherries, as these were.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by RifleDude
I don't buy guns as investments. Truthfully, there aren't that many guns that are very good investments at all, if by "investment" you mean an asset that brings a good monetary return later... at least compared to other traditional "investments."

However, I definitely use the "investment" angle to justify the gun purchases I've made to my wife.

I agree with you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My SKS is a Norinco one that I got thru Davidsons. It has seen many thousands of rounds and still shoots 2" groups at 100yds. For $49 new, they were indeed a great investment.

I guess the point is, a gun doesn't have to be fancy or limited in numbers to be a good investment. It's the market that dictates the worth of something, and there are plenty of ugly guns that will bring a good return if there is a demand for them.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've long regretted my inattention when a friend of mine advised buying all the Russian SKS's I could afford, when they were going full up for $69. My thought at the time; "Who wants that crap".

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Well, all I can say is M700 Classics haven't gone up as much as a lot of owners thought.......... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootem
I've long regretted my inattention when a friend of mine advised buying all the Russian SKS's I could afford, when they were going full up for $69. My thought at the time; "Who wants that crap".

Yep same here.

Originally Posted by Hammer1

A local gun dealer told me that the best gun financial investment was not Belgium Brownings, pre-64 Winchesters, first generation Colt SAA, or anything like those.

He said it was Plain-Jane J-frame S&W 38 Special revolvers.

He said that if you invested your money in J-frame S&W 38 Specials, you can sell them any day (more liquid than oil), don't have to wait for political or other events to create excitement, and don't have to be studious or knowledgeable about specific models or fakes.

Just buy plain NIB J-frame S&W pocket revolvers and hold them until you want to generate cash for a profit.

Thoughts ?

Sound advice if you had bought them 5 to 10 years ago.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I pretty much agree with MontanaCreekHunter.

"Investing" in firearms is like investing in anything. You've got to know the market, then buy low and sell high.

Then there is the difference between the low-end market and the high-end. Really good guns in the $5000+ range will always sell, whether older custom hunting rifles (not synthetic stocked) or double-barreled shotguns.

Below that, oddball chamberings or special wood, or whatever, are the attractions. I have an 1894 Winchester in .25-35 made in 1898, with a 26" octagon barrel and special-order sights. It's in used but not abused condition, and I've been offered twice what I paid for it it 5 years ago.

Another is a pre-WWII German side-by-side double rifle in 9.3x74R. The company went out of business during the war, but I have also been offered twice what I paid for the rifle.

Maybe things will change with both rifles, and I'll take a bath, but I doubt it.

I do buy standard used factory rifles, if I get a good enough deal, but it's a lot harder to turn over a Remington 700 BDL .30-06 than a Remington 700 Classic .35 Whelen.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The best gun financial investment I can think of is a gun safe.

The only time I've tried to tell someone a gun is a good investment is when I try to make excuses to my wife that I need yet another one.

I think it may be fun as a hobby to buy and sell, but I don't think I would bet my retirement on it. Although, they probably have done better than all those mutual funds over the past several years. grin

Hmmmmmmm. Now you got me thinkin. Maybe, I should be buyin more guns and tell those Wall Street guys to go to that hot place with burning flames!!!! wink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 22 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.