Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 41 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 40 41
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I love my Brux and they do very well. I will say again that it really does not matter whos name is on the tube within reason. I dont care if Burns is running Brux, Pacnor, Rock, Bartlein etc, a good tube is a good tube.

Regarding weight I have found the Montana was a little to light. I had two, a .308 and a .260. I found that in field positions I was not as consistent with them as I was with heavier rifles. It was not the stock fit, it is probably the single best stock I have ever handled for matching my body. For me I found follow through is far more critical with the fly weights. I applaud Stick and others who do well with them, they just were not for me. Sticking a heavier tube on a Model 7 made a big difference for me and my Tikka T3 lites have the best balance for me. On a recent build I went to far the other way, put a 26" heavy palma contour on a rifle built for steel matches and it was a bit to much, feels slow on transitions from target to target when shooting anything other than prone. I shot a twin to my rifle with a light palma contour and the difference was very apparent.

I can understand Burns reluctance to mention parts but did I miss it where an accuracy standard was specified?

1/2 MOA is pretty easy to tell customers and it pretty easy to deliver. Our standard answer is it shoots as good as you think it should.

Most guys know how well a rifle like this should shoot.

Stopped by Barnes on my way to Vegas. They were shooting LRXs in the tunnel and had just tipped the 7s.

They agreed to run some proto 168s and this is where my interest really lies. The 145gr 7 is a little light for me but with the reduced expansion window it shuld be a great bullet for many. I am still looking forward to some testng with the 145 but the 168 might be just the ticket if you have to hunt in a lead free area or you prefer the X style terminal preformance.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks more like 6 one should skip, to me.

Why don't you just tell guys that you use any custom tube you can conveniently get your hands on for your "custom rifles" John? I mean c'mon man.

The cookie cutter thing ain't no secret to those of us who have a clue. "Load development" must reall be a PITA......laffin'

Also tell them that you prefer the McMillan A3 on your personal rifles, but your POS B&C turns you a better profit.

The mere fact that you would call a whole rack of the same [bleep]' rifles "such a mix" is hilarious to me. The price, for what you offer, is even more hilarious. Better rifles are readily built for half the price, and you know it.

Preying on the clueless must truly have it's benefits, cuz I can't see anyone with a clue dealing with you or your "custom rifles".

How much actual work do you do yourself, John? Is that what runs the prices so high? Contracting everything out?

Go whine to Rick again. If you cry like a little girl again, maybe he will ban me this time........

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Here's an idea why don't you build your rifles the way you like and John can build'em the way he likes, who made it your job to bad mouth Greybull precision, you really need to grow up......just sayin!

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 02/23/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think it inordinate,for the enlightened Customer to ask particulars on something billed as a "Custom Rifle". That as pertaining to the list of Products used in the build and machining specifics in regards to same.

Hardly an off the wall query,to ask "who's barrel","how's it throated","who did the metalwork" and "where was the metalwork done"?

The astute can quickly separate the wheat from chaff,knowing those particulars and extrapolating in kind,from elsewhere in the Industry.

Also interesting to hear the particulars of why subpar goods are purposely used,on goods billed as being "Top Rate"...............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I tried to get John to build them to my specs but he has his own Ideas,if he chooses to keep certain items under wraps thats his business, we can ask but he doesn't have to give us the details, the gents that buy his rifles are big boys and can spend there money on the rifles they choose,his rifles kill just as dead as yours and mine!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I tried to get John to build them to my specs but he has his own Ideas

That right there, says it all........

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Your right...we mind our own business and let Jonh take care of his business!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I tried to get John to build them to my specs but he has his own Ideas,if he chooses to keep certain items under wraps thats his business, we can ask but he doesn't have to give us the details, the gents that buy his rifles are big boys and can spend there money on the rifles they choose,his rifles kill just as dead as yours and mine!

They can't be as good,because much "proprietary" thought goes into assuring that.

If someone wants to cut a check blindly,that's their business...I simply would not. Beings I was dabbling wares today,I've some fair pics for extrapolation.

700 s/a lapped/squared/blueprinted. HS spout. McMillan A5. Badger 20MOA lugged rail in stripper clip slot. PRW's. 3.5-10x MK4 M3. Badger alloy M4 bottom.

I can't make it cost more than $2250,turnkey...because it don't................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Barrel paint can get pricey...

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That 3M muzzle tape ain't cheap,there pard!.................(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 squared/trued. A3 stock. Bedded. SS Krieger tube. Bolt has oversized shifter, fluted, Sako style extractor, teflon coated. Callahan .300 recoil lug. Leupy mark 2 6-18x40 duplex. EGW 20 moa rail. Burris rings. Sinclair level. PTG bottom metal. $2500......

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I think it's great that your happy with the rifle and and the price you paid, I prefer to build my rifles to my likeing and budget same as you, and in America Mr Burns has the same rights,if I offered you $6500.00 for the rifle pictured would you sell it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't sell...but trade every once in a Blue Moon.

But I'd say you'd be getting a whole [bleep] of alot more for your 6500 clams...................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I don't sell...but trade every once in a Blue Moon.

But I'd say you'd be getting a whole [bleep] of alot more for your 6500 clams...................

Just in the 3M tape alone. That is high end stuff, and I always thought knowledge of the brand to be proprietary.

R.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And we ain't even talked Custom Torque values either.................(grin)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Are you out of blue tape? I'll send you a roll of Toroto Maple Leaf 3M hockey tape. 3M! It would look good on that rifle, and you be the only guy in Alaska to have it. Drawbacks are it will make you rilfe slower and just like the Leafs goalie, it won't keep anything out.

R.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got blue somewhere...mebbe in one of the backpacks or boats?!?..............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Grin. By the time you find it, you'll have the stuff I'll send...

R.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll paint tape,if I gotta...................(grin)

Page 6 of 41 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 51 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.