Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Big Schtick, I think you are a bald faced lying sack with an agenda.

I have a Winchester Mod 70 in 300 Wby that has a 25 year old McMillan and I have a Harrington & Richardson Ultra Wildcat in 17 Rem with a twenty year old MPI on it and I have a 788 in 22-250 with a twenty five year old MPI on it and I have a 788 in 243 Win with a three year old MPI on it and all of these stocks are equally excellent.

The paint is all scratched off all of them and it doesn't really matter. These stocks have all outlasted multiple barrels and are actually all equally rigid in the.

I have been by MPI a few times and really could care less that they do business out of an old building. Why would I? I do expect a response to that question.

To be brutally honest I doubt you have much experience at all in the field. You really impress me as more of a loudmouth obnoxious drunk than an avid sportsman. I wish I could say that you are unique, buy your type is actually quite common.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JD,

You are late on this thread. I hate MPI as I was taken hard and lost $500. MPI still has my stock and my money.

Sure Big Stick is outspoken and his written style is sometimes hard to follow and can get obnoxious at times, BUT his information is usually very informative and accurate. If you read enough of his posts you'd know that.

Read his turret tutorial sometime. Or how to fix feeding issues with a rifle.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I sent my first rifle to Portland to be stocked back about 1988 or so and that gun is a 788 w/Canjar trigger and 26" Lilja barrel and it looks like crap, but shoots and shoots and shoots and when it quits it needs a new barrel. I shoot it off bipod, rests, tight sling and rested off my knees. The gun has shot .3 inch groups w/Sierra 1365 & 1390 bullets (ten shots). It has a factory contour barrel.

Ditto my 243, except it has factory barrel and a Timney. Not as accurate, but a solid 5/8" ten shot shooter. I have only been shooting it for three years, but it is already all scraped up and is not babied in any way. The work was done by the man who posted a rebuttal above. I suspect with a serious attempt at load development that this rifle has a little more accuracy potential, but it shoots good enough to kill rockchucks at 500 yards and that is about all that I care about accuracy wise.

My Ultra Wildcat is 17 Rem and doesn't show the wear, because it doesn't get the rough and tumble that a predator rifle does. Buy it isn't babied at all and it shoots around a half inch group and this gun weighs a little over five lbs. it was stocked in Oregon about 1992 or so.

MPI actually bedded my model 70 that is in a McMillan stock, after I mentioned to them that the gun was obviously not bedded correctly. It is a 300 Wby push feed gun and it has shot about 3/4 inch three shot groups ever since he day it was bedded and that was about 15 years ago. Prior to that it shot about inch and three quarters groups.

You want to know that they said when I expressed frustration with how it shot after I put it in the McMillan stock? They said "McMillan makes a very high quality stock, send it down to our shop and let us take a look at the bedding. I bet we can find some minor problem with it, I'm certain it is just some little thing we can fix."

That is why when I stumbled across this thread I was somewhat taken aback by what I was reading. If you want my opinion on a stock that is way over rated, let's talk about HS Precision, or any stock with an aluminum bedding block in it for that matter. These damnable things are a disaster, you have to sight them in whenever the temp varies by fifteen degrees from where it was last sited in or you won't know where they are hitting. They are fine for a prairie dog or chuck gun, or if you don't expect to use a gun in 50 degree western WA one weekend and 15 degree central or eastern WA the next Hunting predators.

I live in Tacoma and Pacific Research used to make stocks on Vashon about five miles from my front door. That was one hell of a good stock IMO and I still have a couple.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Oh and the reason I recognize that the man posting above is who stocked my 243, is that I sent the gun to Arapaho and I see that he is from Arapaho.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I did take your advice, in a fashion, and randomly read what BSer has posted.

There are a couple of reasons that I carry my custom made ear plugs wherever I go, the first is that someone may offer me the chance to shoot something and the other is that every so often I like to stop and order a cool beer.

If I did not have my ear plugs readily available in the pocket of my trousers I would be subjected to listening to the local version of BSer or would have the option of walking off and leaving a beer I paid good money for.

I have little tolerance for loudmouth obnoxious drunks and can assure you that I have wasted as much time reading anything this insufferable buffoon has posted or ever will post as I intend to. If he does have anything of value to add, separating the wheat from the chaff is far more trouble than it is worth.

IC B2

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 9 invisible), 4,129 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.