Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by herschel34
Anybody care to elaborate more on the rests? Makes/models?

From what I can tell, elevation and windage adjustments are very helpful, and I assume heavier (eg. cast iron, etc.) would be steadier.

I have my eye on this one
Natchezss Smartreloader Granite

Here is a nice rest at a decent price...........

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=RWH-N-JB100

Still need to purchase a top rest for it though.

This is the one I have, it comes with a top rest............

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=RWH-N-H10

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 02/20/11.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey this setup even works for wrong handed rifles grin:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think it would be interesting to shoot the same rifle off a combination of different set ups and see if there was much of a difference in group sizes.

The bench rest crowd seems to run off the leather/sand..but these are heavy, flat bottom rigs that basically slide back and bounce very little in free recoil. A 6PPC in a 14LB gun moves very little!

So, soft baggers, do you get itty bitty groups with your light and sporter weight guns? That big Caldwell with the 4 sections looks good to me and supports a lot of the forend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a variety of sand filled front bags for years, and while they worked ok, they were a pain to lug to the range.

A while ago, I bought a Caldwell Rock front shooting rest.

[Linked Image]

For zeroing and load development, it works well, although it could be a little heavier.

Quality wise, I have no complaints, and while perhaps its too basic for shooting competition, it work works fine for me..

For the rear support, I use a Caldwell rabbits ear bag. Not the quality of some of the leather bags shown earlier in the thread, it still works fine for me and I consider it good value for money..

Last edited by Pete E; 02/21/11.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Benchmaster.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Small bag on an adjustable front rest with bags in the rear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MCT3
Lately, I've been using a caldwell bag which works just as well for me.
[Linked Image]

I roll the same way as this...but it's from Stoney Point:

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Stoney-Point-Marksmans-Bench-Rest-Shooting-Bag/5258602/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=9C177AAB-B4C3-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I tend toward versatility.

None of these will totally eliminate my heart beat from the scope picture, but I am not shooting in competition.

Any of the three will show me where the gun is shooting, and get me inside minute of ground squirrel to a couple hundred yards.

I fail to remember the brand name on the front rest. I picked it up from Sportsman's Whse one day for about $40.00. The rear bag is from Allen and was purchased at Walmart, then filled with sand blasting media.

[Linked Image]

I had rotator cuff surgery to repair a separated tendon 18 months ago. A buddy asked me to work up a load for his 340 Wea last summer. I learned to appreciate the Lead Sled.

[Linked Image]

But for most of my load workups, and scope chores I just shoot over the bags which live on the bench full time. These were sewn by my lovely wife from nylon canvas and filled with sand blasting media. I have about ten bucks into the whole pile. They have endured over ten years exposure to the elements with no ill effects, except they are admittedly ugly.

[Linked Image]

Or in this configuration.

[Linked Image]

Which is good enough for me to shoot groups like this at 132 yds.

[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The people who use the metal stands above and who shoot off wooden top benches, has anybody considered removing the spiked feet and bolting the stand to the bench top?

It would'nt take a minute or two to bolt it down each shooting session, so that wouldn't be too much hassle..

Any reasons not to do it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Front tripod rest with a rear bag is standard for BR work, and what I use for everything when I get serious about accuracy.
Cat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This works well for competition. For testing hunting rigs, I replace the Hoehn windage top with a non-windage Sinclair 3" top and attach a Sinclair 3" fore end adapter to the huntin' stocks.

[Linked Image]

Same rest, different gun, same dirt clod pressin' the trigger. The elevation you can get from a good rest is obvious, here. This is at Painted Post, N.Y. where the 200 yd. targets are 'way uphill.

[Linked Image]

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is the coaxial rest top that I manufacture and sell. 700 are out there at this time. Pays for my shooting habits.
[Linked Image]

www.shadetreeea.com
The rifle belongs to Michael Kavanaugh. I would say he is the premier custom glass stock painter. Kav is now an officer in the Navy and will be going back to Afganistan again soon. He is a very fine young man.
Butch

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pete E
The people who use the metal stands above and who shoot off wooden top benches, has anybody considered removing the spiked feet and bolting the stand to the bench top?

It would'nt take a minute or two to bolt it down each shooting session, so that wouldn't be too much hassle..

Any reasons not to do it?

Thats a good idea Pet E, but I also use my shooting bench in my garage for a work table too grin. I did however drill some holes in the top of the table to make the rest more secure and it doesn't slide around at all.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
This is the coaxial rest top that I manufacture and sell. 700 are out there at this time. Pays for my shooting habits.
[Linked Image]

www.shadetreeea.com
The rifle belongs to Michael Kavanaugh. I would say he is the premier custom glass stock painter. Kav is now an officer in the Navy and will be going back to Afganistan again soon. He is a very fine young man.
Butch

That's a thing of beauty butch grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My walnut stocked 375 jumped off of the front rest and hit the sharp edge of the 'fancy' rest. I don't use it any more.

[Linked Image]

Back to the old soft bags.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by noKnees
Rest with a bag up front and rear bag for me too.

Same here

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In my experience, lightweight rests and hard packed bags cause problems with hunting rifles. The rest moves, and the hard bag causes the rifle to bounce. These setups originated in the benchrest game, which is different in that it involves heavy rifles with light recoil, and stocks designed to ride the bags.

About bolting the rest down, I did that when I had a light rest, and it worked, but it was inconvenient.

Another thing that will cause problems shooting a hunting rifle from a rest is checkering, because it tends to grab the bag. A piece of plastic like a baggie solves that problem.

As any benchrest shooter will confirm, to get optimal accuracy shooting from a rest, the rifle has to move consistently under recoil, and the rest and bag have to stay put.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.