Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I recently found a good load for a .222 of mine with 40 grain bullets and IMR 4895 powder.

Problem is, I ran out of supplies. So I picked up 5 cans of powder from the same lot #, 2000 primers, etc.

All these components are different lot #'s from my previous component stash.

My question is to you guys....

I was shooting 23 grains of IMR 4895, CCI 400 primer, 40 grain blitzking.

Bullet lots are good, I have lots. I changed primer lot #'s and powder lot #'s.

How do I go about finding the sweet spot again? What increments of powder do I work with around 23 grains?

I don't really want to waste 5 shot groups going by .1 grain increments up and down from 23 grains, but if I must do that, I will

Let me know what you guys think!

I have nightmares about switching lot #'s...

Can't cheat the mountain, Pilgrim...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quit dreamin' and simply shoot...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been known to just find the same velocity as the old stuff.....

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Just looking for some input.

I didn't chrono this load so I don't have velocity numbers to chase here.

N
N
have you tried just loading it up like you did before? if so, did the groups get bigger? how much bigger?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just shoot..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by NeuseRvrRat
have you tried just loading it up like you did before? if so, did the groups get bigger? how much bigger?

Just got the components this afternoon. Didn't try it yet.

I guess first thing first would be to try it, of course.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just measure your sweet spot velocity before you switch to the new lot. Check after you change to see if it has changed. If not, then you are good. If it does change then tweak the powder load to restore sweet spot velocity.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
RealTree:

The Speer #9 manual lists 23.5 gr. of IMR 4895 as a starter (minimum) in the .222 w/ a 40 gr. bullet.

Your load at 23 grains of powder is actually below the recommended starting load(max load listed is 25.5 of IMR 4895 with a 40 gr. Speer Spire point bullet)in the Speer #9.

Newer manuals than the Speer may be different.

Appears you have a lot of room [up] to experiment with powder quantity per the #9....

Last edited by BuckeyeSpecial; 02/23/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feelin' my pain,ain'tcha?

Was groovin' on the "sweetspot" schit though................(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Buckeye is pretty close to the truth on that load.
Twere me, I'd start over. Make yourself a ladder batch, starting at 22.6 and going up .2 per shot. Get a calm day, a note pad, and mark your shot sequence.
If your rifle likes 23 grains now, load up five of those. Don't shoot them at least until after you've shot and looked at the 23 from the ladder pile.
Shoot those into another bullseye as your reference group. Might be good, might stink.
What I do with ladder series is shoot them once each two minutes, marking each bullet strike on a note pad (given I'm shooting well enough to hit the same spot). Usually, the shots will walk to a certain spot and group there, and then, as the pressure gets at the maximum, either walk away or stay there.
That "group" is where you will want to focus, it will give you a range of charges where you can concentrate.
The "ideal" for me is where I have a big "charge window" of, say, .4 grains, meaning I could theoretically be that sloppy with charging and not have an issue.
Sometimes, however, the "magic" load is an exact one.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kiss,find pressure,rock on.

It's a 5-poke affair................

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
23 grains is compressed... a drop tube would be needed to fit much more in, atleast with Lapua brass.

I did a ladder test on this powder bullet and ended up at 23 grains. With my old components, anything from 22.9-23.1 worked good and shot the same.

I experienced pressure signs at 24 grains. Anything past 23.5 grains, I needed to use the drop tube.

Figured I'd ask what most do when switching lots. That's all.

I appreciate all the info. I'll just tinker it if the new components don't shoot the same.

Below are the results I consistently get with this load (note: load on right says 22 grains, it is 23, I wrote it wrong)

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
222 load data is in general very conservative on max pressures values, and for you to see pressure signs at 24 gr/IMR4895 (a slow powder for the 222) is quite unusual.

To your original question, as stated by others, when the recipe is on the mild side, switching lots allows quicker testing to establish whether changes are needed, as the concern for being too hot is minimal. And I also agree it's great when an accuracy window is not so narrow as to be a pain in measuring and/or throwing powder charges!
Enjoy your 222, and buy a chronograph when ya get the chance smile

NRA/TSRA Life
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect headspace,more than a leetle...given the particulars.

Likely in conjunction with a schit receiver...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TRT,
Those aren't too shabby atall. And I'm happy to see you watched your pressure rather than copied book.

Another approach might be, if you subscribe to VHM, Rocky Raab has the so-called 95 Percent method for switching lots.

But you need a crony for his technique, which notes velocity as an indicator.

By the way, I'm looking at your ladder. Were you REALLY loading at 2.763? The longest I have ever loaded a 223, much less a 222, was something like 2.415. Unless that number is a comparator reading, I sniff a ratt.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why do I smell front lucking lugs?...................

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
That OAL was using a bullet comparator measuring case head base to o-give. Stony Point/Hornady Comparator FYI...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What is the rifle?................

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
If you look at the picture, it even says Bullet Comp.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Rifle is a model 700 BDL, older rifle, made in '72. That too is written on the target.

It did well with other powders without pressure signs. It really likes H4198 eith 50 grain pills, and I was able to get above published data with that.

Headspace and such is fine, I was just looking for info on switching lot #'s without a velocity reading.

I have the loads all ready to test, just need a nice calm day to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.