Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by burner
I'm not, because it's set up that the only people who can't benefit from this, are my family.

The doctors can get beaucoup bucks from the ins. companies to do the surgery, harvest and transport my organs.

The person getting the organ gets to live.

My family gives up an organ worth, realistically, $50k-??? tens of thousands, and gets a warm fuzzy feeling.

I'd consider doing it if they would at least cover my funeral expenses as part of the deal. But they don't.

This is my stand too

So it is a no for me for the reasons stated by burner

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by NeBassman
I had a malignant melanoma removed 22 years ago and can't donate blood or organs due to it.

There was a news article a couple years ago about some transplant lab that illegally used parts from someone who had cancer. They killed several recipients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20451456

The high incidence of circulating tumour cells in early melanoma should be considered in the context of the transmission of melanoma by apparent disease-free organ donors following removal of a primary melanoma up to 32 years before. This scenario suggests that melanoma cells can remain dormant at distant sites for decades (and possibly forever) in immunocompetent patients, only to reactivate after transplantation into an immunosuppressed recipient. Potential organ donors should be carefully screened for a history of melanoma, and excluded.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the way i figure it, if it was my wife in need i dont give a chit bout the money......and having been cut on for other thing i dont want the lowest bidder removing my appendix let alone putting in a new heart for my wife.....[bleep] it, its only money and yah cant take it with you.....rather spend time with my wife than having an extra $50,000 sitting in a bank account.....so if someone else figures they can use parts of me when i kick off they are welcome to them....rather give someone else a chance of more time with their loved one than worry bout who is getting paid over it....

Last edited by rattler; 02/24/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by temmi
I'm not, because it's set up that the only people who can't benefit from this, are my family.

The doctors can get beaucoup bucks from the ins. companies to do the surgery, harvest and transport my organs.

My family gives up an organ worth, realistically, $50k-??? tens of thousands, and gets a warm fuzzy feeling.

I'd consider doing it if they would at least cover my funeral expenses as part of the deal. But they don't.

This is my stand too

So it is a no for me for the reasons stated by burner

You can buy whatever you want in Hong Kong and in mainland China.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They've made it illegal for the little guy to benefit from it - the person who needs it MOST - the one whose family is dealing with their DEATH.

Sure, the guy who wants my heart, corneas, etc., needs it - but he's still alive. When this issue arises, my widow and kids will be figuring out how to live without my income, my support, and my help. They will be fighting the ins. companies to get whatever life insurance I have, and trying to come up with several thousand to either cremate or bury me.

I am glad to see I have so much support on this. I always found it strange that people don't see this side of the issue.

It's like the box on the tax return that says "Would you like to donate $ to the Presidential Re-Election Fund?" At that point, it's almost an insult. They've taken so much from me in taxes, why would I want to give any of it back? Same with the organ donation.

"Do it for free so we can profit or we'll guilt you into feeling like a bastard for wanting the best for your family at the bitter end."

Nah.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had a malignant melanoma removed 22 years ago and can't donate blood or organs due to it.

There was a news article a couple years ago about some transplant lab that illegally used parts from someone who had cancer. They killed several recipients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20451456

The high incidence of circulating tumour cells in early melanoma should be considered in the context of the transmission of melanoma by apparent disease-free organ donors following removal of a primary melanoma up to 32 years before. This scenario suggests that melanoma cells can remain dormant at distant sites for decades (and possibly forever) in immunocompetent patients, only to reactivate after transplantation into an immunosuppressed recipient. Potential organ donors should be carefully screened for a history of melanoma, and excluded.

They did that recently with a kid. IIRC, they gave an 11 year old the lungs of a 50-year smoker with lung cancer. Got a big lawsuit out of it too, I think. I believe the kid may have died.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

"Do it for free so we can profit or we'll guilt you into feeling like a bastard for wanting the best for your family at the bitter end."

I can see your point, to a degree. But I have made the effort to obtain and maintain life insurance so my family doesn't have to worry about money when I croak off. Anybody who wants my organs is welcome to them.

Almost all, if not all, transplant centers are university hospitals that function on a very tight margin. The doctors who do the surgeries are faculty members, so their incomes are capped. The anti-rejection drugs provided to the organ recipients cost a fortune, and are supported/subsidized by whatever "profits" the transplant centers get from health care insurance. Many recipients do not have private health insurance, so the taxpayer and the university hospitals have to write their costs off in many cases.

The people who work on the transplant teams do it because they believe their work makes a real difference. They aren't doing it for money.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I can see your point, to a degree. But I have made the effort to obtain and maintain life insurance so my family doesn't have to worry about money when I croak off. Anybody who wants my organs is welcome to them.

Almost all, if not all, transplant centers are university hospitals that function on a very tight margin. The doctors who do the surgeries are faculty members, so their incomes are capped. The anti-rejection drugs provided to the organ recipients cost a fortune, and are supported/subsidized by whatever "profits" the transplant centers get from health care insurance. Many recipients do not have private health insurance, so the taxpayer and the university hospitals have to write their costs off in many cases.

The people who work on the transplant teams do it because they believe their work makes a real difference. They aren't doing it for money.

Worth repeating.

edited to add; There's also a group of 'money grubbing docs' out there named "Doctors without Borders".

Last edited by Old_Toot; 02/24/11.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I understand that, but many people cannot afford life insurance, and this is a way that they could help their families.

I am not saying that the people doing the transplanting, etc., are doing it to get rich, but they are getting paid, and the only person not doing so, and in fact PROHIBITED by law from doing so, is the person who has the organ.

It's the opposite of how every other system in our country works, and it still seems to me that it's more of a guilt trip by the donor crowd than anything else.

Their (government and medical industry) theory that selling organs would start a black market is ridiculous, as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There was no charge for the organs you received. Jus sayin.

I respect your thoughts and position on the matter.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
There was no charge for the organs you received. Jus sayin.

I respect your thoughts and position on the matter.

I respect yours as well, and mine are constantly open to change. I have considered it a lot and may change my mind in the future. Participating in these kinds of threads helps me make informed decisions and get new perspectives.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The bold part is my reason.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yours is the only reason, Ironbender,,,the only reason. What more can one do for their fellow man than to share what they, themselves had the privilege of being given and having enjoyed same up to the last tick of the clock?

Puck the money part of the equation as others more enlightened and experienced than me can deal with that and only hope it is done in a humane and judicious manner. That's all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as i have told my wife the few times we have discussed each others wishes for when we die.....im going to be dead, i really dont give a [bleep].....cut out whats useful to someone, and then toss my arse in a coulee for the critters to gnaw on, i aint gonna notice the difference.....if she can find someone willing to pay $25,000 for my body cause they want one to hang in their tree as a halloween prop sell my dead arse......cremate me, sell me, dig a hole and toss me in it sans the coffin, throw me out on the prairie....ill be dead and will not give a chit.....

only real instructions i gave her outside the organ donar thing is do what ever is cheapest for her and go on and do what ever makes her happy.......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife donated bone marrow -- and saved a 56 year old grand-father's life.

Would this act have more or less meaning to her, or me, if someone had been waving a wad of cash in front of her like a used car salesman? Boy, we could have gone to Hawaii off some poor sucker's bad luck! Yeah, some guy is dying, can't support his family, and when he's down, squeeze him for as much as you can. Real Christlike, that.

It's hard for me to understand that someone can be so petty that they will take their organs and leave...... unless they get their pound of flesh.

YOU WILL BE DEAD. As far as leaving it in your estate: I raise my kids with the right values and life's skills, and send them to college. I carry half a million in life insurance ($26 per month -- less than I spend on targets). My wife and kids will do just fine when I'm gone, and a whole lot better than they would be after they'd have sold my carcass to the highest bidder.

I am a donor. When I'm gone, come and get it, before throwing it out to the coyotes.... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Seems a few of us may be worth a hell of a lot more dead than alive, Dutch!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dutch
My wife donated bone marrow -- and saved a 56 year old grand-father's life.

Would this act have more or less meaning to her, or me, if someone had been waving a wad of cash in front of her like a used car salesman? Boy, we could have gone to Hawaii off some poor sucker's bad luck! Yeah, some guy is dying, can't support his family, and when he's down, squeeze him for as much as you can. Real Christlike, that.

It's hard for me to understand that someone can be so petty that they will take their organs and leave...... unless they get their pound of flesh.

YOU WILL BE DEAD. As far as leaving it in your estate: I raise my kids with the right values and life's skills, and send them to college. I carry half a million in life insurance ($26 per month -- less than I spend on targets). My wife and kids will do just fine when I'm gone, and a whole lot better than they would be after they'd have sold my carcass to the highest bidder.

I am a donor. When I'm gone, come and get it, before throwing it out to the coyotes.... JMO, Dutch.

She donated bone marrow while still alive.

I don't have so much of a problem with donating while still alive. Blood, plasma, etc.

I don't, because as a kid I had asthma and was always getting blood tests because of the meds I was on. Terrified of needles.

I'm just saying, I think the National Organ Transplant Act making organ selling illegal, is wrong, and as a result, I won't participate in that rodeo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't, because as a kid I had asthma and was always getting blood tests because of the meds I was on. Terrified of needles.

So, you're a little bit scared of nurses, and you're not willing to get over that in order to save someone's mother or father?

You and I see the world very differently..... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dutch

So, you're a little bit scared of nurses, and you're not willing to get over that in order to save someone's mother or father?

Not going to fight with you. You can have your moral high ground, I will take mine - I care about what happens to my family after I die, and I give not a whit about putting someone else first if my own family has to come second.
You and I see the world very differently..... JMO, Dutch.

Also opposed to it because of the waste after 9/11. I went and donated and saw it get thrown away by the Red Cross, even though they were still calling for more donations. Remember that fiasco?

Last edited by burner; 02/24/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who's fighting?

The reason the Red Cross called for donations after 9/11 was because we all expected this it to be the first attack, not the only attack. Blood was needed in preparation of the attacks that never came.

Blood gets thrown out all the time. What's the problem? We've all got plenty to spare? It's no different than insurance. You have it, hoping it never gets used.

But, take your organs and go home. It's your right. Just don't expect many kudo's. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 50 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,506
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.