Print Thread
Hop To
D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Anybody round heah ever done this. If so, are there any advantages to using this technique? Thanks

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not me, but I'll definitely be watching this thread as I've been curious about it myself.

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, and maybe. It works but it isn't magic. It has plenty of drawbacks and it takes well made equipment generally. If you are a serious benchrest target shooter, then maybe it is worth the trouble.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have and use a Schuetzen rifle with a breech seater. It works very well maybe the perfect way to start a bullet into the rifle, but takes a proper mold, breechseating tool, load and shoot the same piece of brass over and over. If you are thinking of using one for BPCR shooting I don't think that it would help, just too many tools to use and not enough time. At a schuetzen match you have much more time to shoot, reload the same cartridge insert bullet in the tool and seat in the barrel, load the shell after the bullet check your wind flags and shoot. Pretty neat tool though and a fun way to shoot. Some mighty fine scores are shot that way.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rhbrink
I have and use a Schuetzen rifle with a breech seater. It works very well maybe the perfect way to start a bullet into the rifle, but takes a proper mold, breechseating tool, load and shoot the same piece of brass over and over. If you are thinking of using one for BPCR shooting I don't think that it would help, just too many tools to use and not enough time. At a schuetzen match you have much more time to shoot, reload the same cartridge insert bullet in the tool and seat in the barrel, load the shell after the bullet check your wind flags and shoot. Pretty neat tool though and a fun way to shoot. Some mighty fine scores are shot that way.

Have you tested/compared the difference between using the same brass or using a different brass for each shot?

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
IC B2

D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Bro rhbrink, I think that after firing a couple of rounds multiple cases would be fire formed good enough for accurate shooting. Am I wrong?

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The purpose and process of the concept and use of breech seating is very well documentented in any number of books about schuetzen shooting. A very small amount of research will answer any and all questions.
Yes it works
Yes it requires special equipment
Yes the concept of one case is that it is perfectly fire formed, (in addtion you have to insert the case exactly the same way into the chamber each time)
It isn't the only element of accuracy so you have to do all the other work with primers, bullets, gun itself, and powders and amount of powder.

You can ask your questions to 15 people and you will get 15 different answers. Only the answers you develope yourself will be correct for you.

It doesn't lend it self to BPCR shooting because, as mentioned above, breech seating is a slow and very methodically process. YOu won't have time.

I participated in Schuetzen shooting for a number of years in the 1980's and actually I moved away from BSeating and went to muzzle loading thru a false muzzle.

Hope some of this helps but really you need to do the investigation to discover the answers you want.

Ask your questions over on the ASSRA forum.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
mtnfisher, no never felt the need to.

DOO DAH, yep lots of ways to shoot accurately.

LRF, very good advice!

D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I understand what has to be done. Now all I have to do is get off my arse and do it. Thanks, fellars.

S
S
Wouldn't marking the brass rim and a mark on the receiver keep the alignment proper the same as a bullet seater?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sulfer, it would apear that the breech seating tool assures perfect concentricity for the bore riding nose. Every time. That sort of consistency is what makes the accuracy levels as good as they are.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a 38-55 in a Hepburn that is a breech seater and will only work that way, no cartridge loaded bullets as the camber was cut in this fasion. The loading tool {adjusted properly} pushes the bullet into the bore and the case filled with BP topped of with a card wad when loaded seats right up to the base of the bullet.

Fun and accurate rifle to shoot. Luckey that I got all the tools and moulds with it.

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wouldn't marking the brass rim and a mark on the receiver keep the alignment proper the same as a bullet seater?

If you are talking about the powder cartridge, pretty much that is how it is done.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
S
S
Thanks, fellows for your opinions. I don't have a breech setter but I did mark my brass.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Several forums address the correct procedure for breech seating...but you won't find much here!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Well, I haven't had time to perfect breech seating technique with a competition coming up in 3 weeks. So, Guess I'll have to go with my old recipe. The best I've done is 3rd a few years back but this could be the year. If Sulphur shows up I could be in trouble again. The wife gave me a Eastwood spaghetti western hat for Christmas so I'll look good in any case. Guess now all I have to do is pick up a few cigars and a gallon of good sourmash. Life is good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 160user, 33 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,866
Posts18,497,404
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.