Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've seen piss poor workmanship from all the manufacturers and Remington is no exception.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Savage quality...

Bolt head side 1:

[Linked Image]

Side 2:

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I for the life of me cannot figure out why there are so many guys on this board bashing something every single chance they get.I don't own a Savage, but as a product manager can certainly appreciate some of the efforts they have made in the last ten years. The Savage Accu trigger is one of the reasons many other rifle companies have recently improved the trigger's they are offering.....so why is that a bad thing.The way Savage headspaces their rifles is now being used by a number of other companies...I guess that was a bad idea too.Frankly I wish some of you folks would just keep all the negative BS to yourself. It's boring, and frankly in many cases plain stupid.We are so blessed today to have so many great choices when it comes to products, its fine to like one over another,but to have to bash stuff is waste of time. It just seems to be happening more and more and I don't get it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey, I own a Savage, I think it gives me the right to give an honest opinion.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dogcatcher....not directed at anyone person...just a general observation.I hope I did not offend you.I'm just tired of the influx of negativity that seems to be creeping further and further on this board.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
Wow, all the hate here. I happen to think they make some very functional rifles. Shoot great, nice triggers, easy to swap barrels, and the newer ones operate very smoothly.

Carry on...

actually i agree, first hunting rifle was a Savage and have had 3 others, still have one, all have been accurate as hell.......but they feel like a 2x4 compared to a Remington 700 or Seven or my Kimber Montana when carried in the hand.....havent decided if im gonna turn the last Savage i have into a heavy barrel varminter where ergos arent as important while hiking or sell it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Well, after reading all the "bad" things about the Savage custom shop rifles, I guess that my left-hand 257 Roberts is the exception. It shoots fine, looks fine, and didn't cost as much as a new Remington- which is not offered in 257 Roberts in the left hand. It might not be the prettiest, or as smooth as my Tikka 595, but the whitetail buck didn't seem to drop any slower than if he had been shot with the Tikka, Browning, or Marlin. If you don't like them, then don't buy one! I just wish Savage would get a set of reamers for 6.5x55 Swede so I could get one in stainless left hand.

And I have not talked to anyone in customer service at any company that is as helpful and nice as Effie Sullivan! If you want something just a bit different, then give her a call.

As for me, I will keep my Savage, and am looking forward to getting another one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as i said, thought enough of them that ive bought 4 of them.....the more different rifles i tried out though the more i came to realize i preferred the ergos of other rifles, my preference runs to Sevens and 84M's.....might not bug others but wound up bugging me which is why ive sold off all but the 223....may sell off the 223 yet.....if they made them nice and slim like a Savage 99 i prolly would have kept the ones i had.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goodshot
I for the life of me cannot figure out why there are so many guys on this board bashing something every single chance they get.I don't own a Savage, but as a product manager can certainly appreciate some of the efforts they have made in the last ten years. The Savage Accu trigger is one of the reasons many other rifle companies have recently improved the trigger's they are offering.....so why is that a bad thing.The way Savage headspaces their rifles is now being used by a number of other companies...I guess that was a bad idea too.Frankly I wish some of you folks would just keep all the negative BS to yourself. It's boring, and frankly in many cases plain stupid.We are so blessed today to have so many great choices when it comes to products, its fine to like one over another,but to have to bash stuff is waste of time. It just seems to be happening more and more and I don't get it.

Goodshot,

I agree Trolling is becoming more and more common here. It often seems that comments are being made just to cause trouble even if that poster truly belives the comments they make. Im not talking about this thread spicifily but just in general. As Ive said before I think most people here are looking for good information positive or negative but when someone just replys "They are junk, I hate them, they suck". It just dosen't help, it only creates conflict.

Dogcather,

Yes you do have a "dog" in this fight and you have every right to state your opinion. Adding photos to make your point makes it all the better, and I wish we would see more of that type of thing. Didnt you say that you have had that Savage for some time and done quite a bit of work to it? I take it you never felt the need to replace the bolt. Maybe it does not affect the functionality of the rifle. I also see your sentimental attachment to that Savage and Im sure others have a similar bond to firearms that are less than "sublime".

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Not sure how you are going to get something better for close to this money.

Buy a Model 700 for quite a bit less money.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone had Savage custom shop put a rifle together for them? What caliber, what's is your impression of it?

I had Savage's Custom Shop chamber a Model 14 American Classic in the .250 Savage before it was offered as a standard chambering.

[Linked Image]

It was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. No load development or barrel break in. Just load and shoot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm no Savage lover. I bleed green and have been a Remington man all my life. But facts is facts, but to hate a rifle because a couple of internet pards doesn't approve is a little "weak" as a man.

The last three Savage's are all newer models and they all functioned and shot well.

Savage Police Carbine Model 10 in .223 1-9" twist.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Savage/Stevens 200 in .223 Rem.

It averaged 1" with Sierra 85 JHBT and 105 Speer Roundnose both hitting the same point of impact at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

I'm having a Remington 700 built around a 6x47 Rem.

Douglas barrel, McMillan Edge stock, Cerakoted, Talley rings and the best scope I can afford. If it shoots any where near as good as the Savages I will be well pleased.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by inland44
Dogcather,
Didnt you say that you have had that Savage for some time and done quite a bit of work to it? I take it you never felt the need to replace the bolt. Maybe it does not affect the functionality of the rifle. I also see your sentimental attachment to that Savage and Im sure others have a similar bond to firearms that are less than "sublime".

Had this gun since I was 15. Came in a package deal with a crappy 4x Bushnell scope. Lots of work to the gun over the years, refinished stock, reblued, pillar bedded, 2 barrels. The rough bolt head is hidden when locked, so at least you can't see it.

Killed a couple 200"+ mulies with it, a pile of elk, and even yotes when I ran Accelerators through it. Too many memories to discard it, even though it handles like a club. Got a new stock coming, and some other upgrades planned to make it more appealing... cool

This "affordable" $260 Savage has cost me a grand at this point, haha

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goodshot

1) I for the life of me cannot figure out why there are so many guys on this board bashing something every single chance they get.

2) Frankly I wish some of you folks would just keep all the negative BS to yourself. It's boring, and frankly in many cases plain stupid. It just seems to be happening more and more and I don't get it.

1) Some just love to talk big. They think it makes 'em look real knowledgeable to strongly bash whatever they don't use. One particular basher thinks it makes him 8" taller.

2) More of it here than any other board I've seen. But they'll never stop, they have a need to do it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bass Pro Shop dumped a ton of those Model 14s for $398.00. The fit and finish was just awful. At that price I almost bought one though.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1) Some folks actually shoot and can/will/do make determinations upon them findings.

2) Them that whine the most,do the least and get upset about #1....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Hey, I own a Savage, I think it gives me the right to give an honest opinion.

How old is your Savage?

This one is different from all my others- looks like it was made in a shop with good QC by guys who care!

I shot it again today. Working up some more loads and the first rounds after UBC treatment. Fired two foulers just to be safe (after a thorough cleaning) Both bullets cut the same hole. I later overlaid the two shots on the first 3-shot group and they were in this group! So far, every CCS has been in the group except the first round I fired to cure the UBC- it was 4" low.

Every group has been sub MOA. Trigger breaks clean and feeds well.

Not interested in bashing someone who doesn't have one, just wanted honest opinions of those who have had Savage put a rifle together for them. Basically, it is a budget custom rifle. Sure, you have to use Savage parts, but they have a fair amount to choose from. The bolt on this one doesn't have any of the casting flaws like the one in the photo. Only casting flaws i can find are mold lines on the bolt knob- Remingtons have those too!

Last edited by dennisinaz; 02/24/11.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Not sure how you are going to get something better for close to this money.

Buy a Model 700 for quite a bit less money.

I called the Remington Custom shop- it would cost more than double what the Savage cost to get a Left hand, 7WSM with a 26" barrel and a bedding block type stock! And then you are stuck with that stupid ground off rear bridge that Remington seems to think looks better or something! All the good custom 700 Clones are available in the straight cylinder style- just like the Savage Accutrigger actions!

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least you've have something.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not sure what, if anything, is better about the Remington. I have both Remingtons and Savages. My Savage 22-250 is the most accurate rifle I own. It is but ugly, has a flimsy stock, a lousy trigger (pre-accutrigger days) but it flat shoots lights out. I pretty much only use it for prairie dogs anymore and should re-stock it with a heavier, wider stock but it shoots 1/4" groups with one load and 3/8" with several others. I have never had a Remington that did anywhere near that.

It's pretty obvious you have a closed mind on the whole thing so there is no point debating it with you. Savage has made a lot of inroads to become mainstream and not getting a lot of credit from the homers...

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing better then a custom savage in a 7"em em" short magnum is a custom shop tasco on top, a box of big greens, and a box cutter to field dress with..just sayin'

Thats how I'd run it..

B8

MK
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 260Remguy, 7mm_Loco, 24 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,243
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.