Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RufusG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wondering about the special fluorescent or luminescent or whatever paint that is available, or something I haven't even heard of, or whiteout, whatever. I've got a couple of my "backup" autos laying around I try experiments on, and trying to improve the sights is next on the list. I've got an old Smith Highway Patrolman that someone painted the front ramp yellow of all things and it really helps acquiring the sight. I'm thinking primarily about improving the sight acquisition for daylight use. So, what have you used that works?

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A buddy bought a kit that had 10 or so differant colored paints,some supposed to glow others not. They worked OK but glow in the dark they don't.

I'd used Liquid Paper in various colors for years, it works just as well, lasts quite a while and it's cheap.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fingernail polish.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get the paint bowhunters use to paint sight pins. It glows in the dark.
(don't lick the brush)(an obscure WW II story, that killed a number of women who painted watch dials)

Typewriter correction fluid (white out) also works well but lacks durability.

Brownells also sells kits to install various color inserts (like some S&Ws have)

and these work well too (factory supplied on my S&W 329)

http://www.hivizsights.com/SW1002-Handgun-SW-Revolver-Front-Sight--P19.aspx

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like the flourescent green sight paint, a LOT. I've used whie, red and orange (non flourescent) and switched to the green a few years ago and haven't looked back

Here's a pic of it on a Beretta 92 with adjustable sights

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SteveS; 02/24/11.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T LEE
Fingernail polish.

Yep, or model paint. Cheap, durable, lots of colors available in many, many stores. Your wife or kid might have some in an appropriate color in the house right now.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 02/24/11.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fingernail polish.

Yup. Been using nail polish for the past 30 years or more, on "black" sights. Even better nowadays, with some of the whacko "make yer eyes water" colors they have on the market.

Currently have one bright orange that's damn near FO and one kinda weird chartreuse green one that works fine. Have gone to using that one on front sight blades, because I can see it better than the oranges. Just a wee dab works fine.

Also use 'em for thread sealant on a variety of sportin' goods, like nylon sling screws and the like.

Next best thing: Acetone generally dissolves it, if ya wanta start over again.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, BLACK paint on any and all rear sight dots.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When you get older some contrast really helps to see the sights. I've narrowed my fronts sights to .100" for over 40 years, then I paint it white, let it dry & then go over the white with flourescent orange. Without the white underneath the orange can look "black" in bad lighting conditions like when you are hunting early or late.
In good light black on black works great but black on black on a dark deer or elk hide isn't a very good combination, not to mention bears!
I use white finger nail polish & buy the orange from a craft shop, you'll get a bottle big enough to paint thousands of sights for less than $5.
Take a gun with black sights & one that you've painted & walk into some shady timber & see for yourself, its pretty easy to figure out!

Dick

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ditto. On a field gun, you must be able to see the sights in bad light. I like fl. orange on my front sights if they aren't white dots or have the S&W res inserts.
Easily seen sights and the best in triggers makes for the best shooting in nthe field. E

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Testers dayglo model paint

Liquid paper for shootin black bulls eyes
After years of smokin M1's I now use a black sharpie

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Anyone had any luck with sight paint?

Nope, not really. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Well, no matter what you use I recommend that you only paint the very top portion of the front sight blade that shows in the back sight. Not the whole front sight blade.

O

Too old to suffer fools
RufusG Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I appreciate all the input. I'm going to try a couple different things. Any other advice I'm happy to listen.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Outcast is correct, I only paint mine half way down, then I check to see what my zero is using the bottom of the paint, for me its usually around 150-200 yds.

Dick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 32 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.