-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't see it on the Leupold Custom page under the fixed section.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As I recall, the original 3x was listed at 2.7x.

I have an old 3x and compared it to the new one. The older one has a noticeably wider FOV, in fact it's even wider than the present 2.5x Leupold--again, because the eye relief on the 3x is shorter. The eye relief on the 2.5x is close to 5 inches!

Personally, I think field of view is one of the most overrated statistics in a scope. There is a lot of BS thrown about concerning "a scope full of hair" at close range, but I have used 6x at close range a lot, and it is really diffcult to fill up the field of a modern 6x with hair.

As a matter of fact last week I shot a running wild boar of about 225 pounds at 10 yards (30 feet) with a 2.5-10x Zeiss set on 6x, and there wasn't any problem finding his shoulder in the scope. The bullet went through both shoulder blades and the spine, right where I aimed.

John,

Thanks.

Back in "old scope days" of my youth 30' FOV was regarded as good, and less was not good.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
toltegriz,

Mostly I just wanted to reiterate how close it was!

I did the unintentional head-shot thing with a nice whitetail buck many years ago. He was running broadside at maybe 125 yards, and when I shot he tumbled over a couple of time. The bullet landed right under his antlers. Not much damage on the way in, but it shattered the skull on the way out. Which I why all the photos I have of me and the buck show my holding the left antler, just so it it would stay upright....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

I was "field testing" a new Sauer 303 autoloader in .30-06, one of the rare autos that shoots accurately and has a really nice trigger.

The ammo was Hornady factory with the 165 Interbond. I shot four pigs on the trip, and recovered one bullet, from a 200-pound sow that was quartering away. The bullet was under the hide of the far shoulder and expanded very widely, retaining 86% of its weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I hope folks did not take my post to mean that I did not like the new 3x. I looked at it (mounted on a rifle) at the SCI show and one will be going on my 375 before I leave for Mozambique in Aug. Sorry I missed the power by.03X.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks John.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be getting a Leupold 3X myself now. I always wanted one anyway.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have not received mine yet. It should be called a 3.4 or 3.5 power scope. And yes, a wider field of view, like 40 ft. for me is preferable. Never the less I'll try one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an M8-3x in good condition I would trade for a 4x or 6x Loopy.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I have an M8-3x in good condition I would trade for a 4x or 6x Loopy.

Post that up on the Classifieds with some pics of your scope..

You'd get some takers.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It was introduced at SCI in Reno.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than "cool factor", what would the new 3x fixed offer over a VXII 1x4 or a VXIII 1.5x5?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Other than "cool factor", what would the new 3x fixed offer over a VXII 1x4 or a VXIII 1.5x5?

Less likely to break after a few hundred rounds.....ask me how I know.... frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fewer moving parts to malfunction, lighter weight, fewer lenses i.e. brighter(if glass/coating are equal), and you could dang near buy two fixed power scopes for the price of one vari of similar quality level. JMO.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akjeff

Fewer moving parts to malfunction, lighter weight, fewer lenses i.e. brighter(if glass/coating are equal), and you could dang near buy two fixed power scopes for the price of one vari of similar quality level. JMO.

Jeff

Pricing is a good point. I buy mine used, so wasn't considering the cost of new. I'm trying to get a price on the 3x here in Canada now.

OTOH ... the 1.5x5 has a very good reputation for reliability on DGRs and med/big bores. I like those 3x, but can't
justify buying one over what I already own. One definite advantage for the variable is a lower low end which comes in handy here in the thickest thickets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by akjeff

Jeff

Pricing is a good point. I buy mine used, so wasn't considering the cost of new. I'm trying to get a price on the 3x here in Canada now.

OTOH ... the 1.5x5 has a very good reputation for reliability on DGRs and med/big bores.

Not with me......I've trashed it and the vaunted 1.75-6.....a pal likewise.I'll take a 3X thanks...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Not with me......I've trashed it and the vaunted 1.75-6.....a pal likewise.I'll take a 3X thanks...

What the snarf are you mounting those poor scopes on?!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Might as well join in this again.

Unfortunately the two new 3x I received had to go back. When I first looked at them I said hmmm, but decided to wait until daylight to come to a conclusion. Seems as if Leupold and I had our thoughts crossed on the size of the dots I wanted. They sent the little ones and I wanted the larger.

Leupold was good about it and said they would make me up two new ones, so all is good.

Akjeff made a good point about the glass. While it is good and for what I want the scope for, it will work. However, the fact is that it obviously is not VXIII glass. On the various powers the VXIII 1.5-5s I use have the campfire wow factor-especially around the 3x setting-the new fxII 3x-20 where flat in comparison. The same when compared to two 2.5-8x36s I use.

Again I think they will be perfect for their intended use and perhaps others may not see the same difference as I.

Last edited by battue; 02/27/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Akjeff made a good point about the glass. While it is good and for what I want the scope for, it will work. However, the fact is that it obviously is not VXIII glass. On the various powers the VXIII 1.5-5s I use have the campfire wow factor-especially around the 3x setting-the new fxII 3x-20 where flat in comparison. The same when compared to two 2.5-8x36s I use.

One of the few things Leupold does, that annoys the hell out of me, is they basically use last years glass on the fixed powers, and save the latest and greatest for the vari-x lines. As you said, they will work fine as is. Still, why not just put the same top of the line glass in your fixed powers. I'm going to order one, but haven't decided on what reticle.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Any details regarding that travesty?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,687
Posts18,494,053
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.