Hoping for some information in regards to a Benjamin Sheridan 397PA pellet gun. From the serial # I believe it was made in 1996, it does have the rear safety not on the trigger guard. The trigger guard is steel as well as the rear safety which is pushed forward to fire, or towards the rear for safety on. The bolt will not go all the back to cock position when the safety is on. The safety has to be pushed forward to fire position in order to pull bolt back to cock and load pellet. I am assuming this older top safety locks the bolt from firing and therefor must be in the fire position to cock? I do have a newer Cropssman made benjamin with the plastic trigger guard with button safety that cocks while on safe position. Once the gun is cocked the safety can be placed back into the safe position and it holds the trigger from firing just fine. The older gun shoots great, but am wondering if the safety placed in the fire position to cock is how it came or if it may be broken. Thanks for any information.