Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Nicorette Gum. It has been 7 years now. I got the 2mg ones and cut them into halves and later quarters. Chewed then enough to soften them and then tucked the piece between the teeth and gum like they do with snuff. That way I did not trade the smokes for a chewing gum habit lol. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My Dr said I might have the beginning of COPD,he wasn't sure at that point. I left his office,had one more cigarette. That was the last I had just about 2 years ago. I craved them, I wanted the and I questioned my ability to stay off of them. I finally asked my self,who was in charge, me or the cigarettes. I won.
I know from the time I quit for almost 15 years, I cannot have even one,if I do,I will be buying packs again. I worked too hard to get here to lose it now. Yes, I still get the temptation,I will probably will forever. I will not start again,my decision period.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After a late night of poker, smokes and booze, I rolled out of bed one morning and grabbed the pack of cigarettes and lighter off the bedside table as my feet hit the floor. I had observed a couple of autopsies earlier in the week that were performed on life-long smokers, and had dreamed about how the lungs looked all night. Something clicked, and I took the cigarettes and flushed them down the toilet.

After I showered, shaved,and dressed, etc., I took the rest of the carton outside and threw it in the trash. Whenever I had the urge to buy a pack of cigarettes, I bought a package of chewing gum instead (Spearmint). It took about 8 weeks, but I finally became a nonsmoker. That was 42 years ago, and I have had maybe a half-dozen puffs since just to be sociable.

I did smoke a pipe off and on a few years later, but quit that too when I found out about the tongue cancer risk. Like one of the previous posters said, when it's time he can do it. In my case, the time came when I sat in on those autopsies.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zyban for a week then began with a patch. Had to have a hit or two that first day but only when completely desperate. After two days no more "hits" and cut the patch in half. About day 5 cut the half patch in half so is 1/4 patch. Two or three days of that then quit completely. Quit the Zyban a week later.

I been a pack and a half a day smoker over twenty years the first time i quit. Above is how I quit the second time after smoking for 8 years after quiting the first time and being a non somker for 8 years. First time I did it cold turkey. Second was three times as easy but still hard.

Been 5 or 6 years this time, and the damn things still smell good sometimes

Last edited by 700LH; 02/26/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570

I know from the time I quit for almost 15 years, I cannot have even one,if I do,I will be buying packs again

Same Here.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're a riot ! ( with a handle on the science of Burritology)

Moons ago, my climbing wind started lookin' bad,....I just QUIT smokin'

No sweat,...Cope, and Skoal won't affect my wind. Gotta' admit, offshore where "Snoose" wasn't handy,...I'd go back to smokin'.

When the stuff hit about 3.50 a can, and I realized that I was really ADDICTED,.....I did a "Lone Ranger" bit,...and tossed alla' the snoose out the front (South) door.

Bigger then hell,....I was out there in the dark, with a flashlight,....LOOKIN',.....HOPIN',.....PRAYIN' ! Wind like last Saturday pretty much had me screwed, on finding enough for a dip......

Did that ALONE,....and was nobody to be around, during the next 3-4 days,.....

Still miss Snoose,.....and "Coffee and a Cigarette" still have occasional, and utterly stoopid and romantic conotations.

No Moral here,......we ARE better off without commercial tobacco.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put out my last smoke before boarding the elevator of parking garage of hospital on my way in for bypass surgery. Surgery did not go without complications and I stayed in ICU/Cardiac Care Unit for close to a month.
Going on ten years now grin

geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Start hunting big mountains. When your heart feels like it's going to explode when you're hiking, cigs just aren't worth it anymore. At least that's what changed my mind.

I have made it to the ripe old age of seventy-six and put in quite a few days last summer hauling my backpack around at elevations of 10,000 feet or so. Had I not quit cigs when I did, that hi altitude hiking probably wouldn't be possible.

As somebody else said, just quit. After I quit in 1978, I have never had any desire to start again. God has been and always will be my strength.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never smoked but I did chew and quit last October cold turkey, I think the thing that helped me the most was studying what the symptoms of quitting were so that I knew what to expect and I could prepare for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dipped Copenhagen (can per day) from age 14 until 41; smoked a good bit along the way, too. All the way through college, medical school and residency, where I removed many voice boxes that were cancerous, and took out a lot of tongues, while I was dipping under the surgical mask! At age 41, the year after my father died from heart disease related to smoking, I decided enough was enough. I went on Zyban, and started chewing the Nicorette Gum, and went on a Canadian Whitetail hunt in Sasketchewan, where I just knew Copenhagen wouldn't be available......wrong. It worked, and I've been free of the schitt for damn near 10 years. I know me though, one puff and I'd be back at it.
Don
Good luck

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Christmas break, 1953

Gave my cigarettes away.

Threw my pipe and tobacco away.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i use to smoke 2-3 packs a day for 10 yrs. when i quit drinking i realized if i could do that i could quit smoking so i did. been 14 yrs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got into a fight with the wrong three guys. When I got out of the hospital I realized "I haven't had a smoke in 8 days". Why start back now. I had some pretty good meds too amd mixed them with wiskey for a while. Im not proud of this, but it worked and I haven't smoked in 15 years.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Damn bunch quitters here anyway! JK,I admire the people who can make a decision like that and stick to it.

I`ll admit it, I like smoking. Some people say they hate it and wish they could quit,which I never really understood. I do realize the health risks invovled,and therefore I limit my cigarette intake to 2 a day. I`ll have one after work and one right before bed. Go all day without even thinking about it. I just don`t take them to work,so I don`t even think about it usually.
Most I ever got up to was less than a half pack a day, and I noticed it affected my `climbing wind` as it was so aptly put. I cut it down to 2,and have been there for the last couple years.
I did order me one of those e-cigs, just to check em out. I figure if they work, I can still have my couple smokes a day without any real reprecussions. Win Win!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I felt better when I quit but did gain a little weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1987. Threw them away. Took em up again for a few months in 92... Stopped when I realized how stupid it was. Never regretted quitting.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570

I know from the time I quit for almost 15 years, I cannot have even one,if I do,I will be buying packs again

Same Here.
YES!!!
Out of town job sharing a room with a guy that smoked was how I started the second time. He made the room smell awful but if I smoked "just one" it wasn't so bad. One turned into two, two into a pack and a half a day for eight years more.

I feel like the AA guys. "Hi I am 700LH I am a smoker".
An Tobacco Junkie

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shortly after I made my previous post I had to run to the corner store. There was a young lady in front of me and she asked for a pack of Marlboro Red, regular length. I heard the clerk tell her "That will be $9.42 Miss" I couldn't believe HOW MUCH a pack of cigarettes cost in NY any more. Mostly Federal and State taxes of course. It is no wonder so many people travel to one of the Indian Reservations around here. I shudder at the thought what my 2 packs a day cost a week.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked a day and stuck to that day, it was nearly a year away but it actually worked. All I thought about was that coming day and I quit after 13 years of smoking 2 packs a day and that was 15 years ago! Good luck to your son!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I smoked a pack and a half per day for about 35 years. Decided in December that I would quit on Jan. 1st. Asked the wife to get me some patches but she forgot........so I went and got them myself. Quit that night. The first "step 1" patch was too strong...couldn't sleep, so I cut them in half and used that for 3 weeks, then cut them down to 1/4 and quit the patches a couple of days later. Haven't wanted a smoke since, and yes the cig smoke smells good, but it stinks on people.

Biggest factor in quitting is WANTING to quit.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,822
Posts18,516,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.