Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Male hunts close, and the female really ranges out. They make a great chuckar hunting pair in that regard.

The male just never had any retrieve instinct, but the female needs something in her mouth. The male has as good a nose as I have ever seen, and I've had some great dogs in my time. He points well, is tractable, and is a great family dog.

Cookie is hard-headed, but she is extremely smart...maybe too smart for me. laugh blush She has a tendency to out run her nose early in the day, but is ok when she slows down about mid-morning. Rock can smell'em two mountains away, and he'll turn around and give you a "I found them; now you keep up" look. grin

I think these will be orange/white exclusively.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If you lived closer I might find a need for one. My little boys need a dog they can play with. My english pointers do not make the best pets for them.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They tend to make wonderful pets who hunt. wink wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just ask my grandson. laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I told my wife I have to get some type of setter or brit for them. If it hunts fine if it don't fine.

My oldest son tries really hard to play with the pointers but they want to do their own thing.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Brits can be independent cusses and sometimes hyper. I love the breed, but the setters are on average calmer.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I don't think they can be anymore independent or hyper than the knot headed pointers I run....grin. If they weren't the best bird dogs I might try something else..... grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They sure do love to be your lap. I know mine does but he only goes 62 lbs.

Local 344 Retired

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
-Thomas Jefferson-
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Classic dogs need to be pu ton grouse and woodcock. Will you ship to PA?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got a great Brit, and she is not hyper or a "cuss" in any way. I've not seen anyone else's like that either, but I don't hang around trial dogs either.

Originally Posted by luv2safari
Brits can be independent cusses and sometimes hyper. I love the breed, but the setters are on average calmer.

I tend to agree here. Not that the Brittany is a "wound up" breed, but the ones I've been around (quite a few I may add) are definately more high strung than the average setter (excluding the Irish!).

I'm still kicking this around. An Orange Belton would make a good addition to the Blue I already have. And he does need a friend, only being 5 months old and all...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I love them all for various reasons. Brits are real popular with chuckar hunters around here. My best ever dog was 1/2 Brit and 1/2 English setter. She was an amazing bird dog and extremely smart.

I sometimes think mixed breeds have potential of mixing the best of both breeds into one dog.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Those are so cute. Damn now I wish I still lived down there. Bump for a great guy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Anyone know how much it would be to ship one? I have been told about $250 but I have always had my dogs delivered by vehicle.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ask here if anyone will be traveling east through here and going near you, then on to PA. I have someone in PA who is interested.

I hesitate to ship a puppy. Also, it involves a 120 mile trip for me to do so. wink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I was thinking a USPS flat rate box....grin.

I don't like to fly pups either. I have a sister that lives in Dallas and she brings me most of my dogs.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
crazy

I'll pick you one with really big ears and do some flight and navigation training, but that will cost a lot extra.

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Dad is posted above, and he is enormous! shocked He is twice the size of mom and is about 85 pounds.

Does this literally mean the dam is 40ish pounds? Any guess on adult size of these pups? Are you heading to MT any time soon?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the runt male or female. I'm real interested in one. CB Didn't you buy a Leupold from me for your son's turkey gun?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes laugh

We didn't draw tags, however. frown

I can't really pick a runt. They are all pretty uniform in size so far.

Last edited by luv2safari; 02/27/11.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
She is about 45-50 pounds. I would guess the females will be about her size and the males a bit bigger, if her last litter is any indication.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 48 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,005
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.