Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some time back, I looked high 'n' low for a couple of "example" paragraphs to show a friend, but couldn't find 'em.

Now I have.

Here they are, from my on-going reconstruction of the lost files of Make Every Word Tell. Enjoy!

It�s not how long you make a sentence that matters � it�s how you make it long.

Look at two sentences (below) that fairly well represent the prose styles of the renowned and acclaimed authors who wrote them. Which of these two sentences is more easily readable, the short one or the long one?

Henry James � �He left it to Miss Gostrey to name, with the fine, full bravado, as it almost struck him, of her �Mr. Waymarsh!� what was to have been what � he more than ever felt as his short stare of suspended welcome took things in � would have been, but for herself, his doom.� (The Ambassadors)

Mark Twain � �The first thing to see, looking away over the water, was a kind of dull line � that was the woods on t�other side; you couldn�t make nothing else out; then a pale place in the sky; then more paleness spreading around; then the river softened up away off, and warn�t black any more, but gray; you could see little dark spots drifting along ever so far away � trading scows, and such things; and long black streaks � rafts; sometimes you could hear a sweep screaking; or jumbled-up voices, it was so still, and sounds come so far; and by and by you could see a streak on the water which you know by the look of the streak that there�s a snag there in a swift current which breaks on it and makes that streak look that way; and you see the mist curl up off of the water, and the east reddens up, and the river, and you make out a log cabin in the edge of the woods, away on the bank on t�other side of the river, being a wood-yard, likely, and piled by them cheats so you can throw a dog through it anywheres; then the nice breeze springs up, and comes fanning you from over there, so cool and fresh and sweet to smell on account of the woods and the flowers; but sometimes not that way, because they�ve left dead fish laying around, gars and such, and they do get pretty rank; and next you�ve got the full day, and everything smiling in the sun, and the song-birds just going it!� (Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)

But the length of the sentence isn�t what�s important. The first, last, and only consideration that matters is how easy it is to read.

That sentence from Henry James�s famous and touted novel ought to be longer � more than one sentence, if necessary. Maybe that sentence from Mark Twain�s great American novel could be shorter. But there�s no question (is there?) which of the two sentences is easier to read.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But Ken, writing well would limit one's ability to communicate here. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoyed that muchly!! I'm definitely not the best at posting but what turns me off are long drawn out paragraphs with no breaks or sentence structure.Second and my pet peeve, a scrambled train of thought with meanderings all over the page!! Don't want to be too critical but easy reading helps get a point across!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Editting for magazines where space must be saved for ads is vastly different from literature.

My tasts run to Twain, Conrad, and even Barsness who uncoils his missives at uncoomon length and getws away with it in magazines.

1B

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ken

Just picked up a book called "The Passing of the Armies", by Lawrence Chamberlain about the last 12 days of the war. He writes with a victorian style and his sentences seem to go on forever. Yet, it doesn't seem uncomfortable.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And on the opposite end of the spectrum is Ernest Hemingway:

"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth, and left it on the roof of your mouth."

- a Farewell to Arms

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is it Ken, I will no longer be afraid of using long sentences here on the fire, thank you Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
And no one could drag out a sentence, yet put more into it than Samuel could!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A picture is worth a thousand words.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fish head
A picture is worth a thousand words.

[Linked Image]

That's what Samuel looked like?

smile

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting this Ken. I am trying to write today. Working on a short story that friends say should be a book. I tent to write run on sentences but have been trying to cut them down. Perhaps I should just let the words flow.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Generally, the fewer the words that fully communicate or evoke the intended ideas and feelings, the more effective the communication." -- Mark Twain

"I came, I saw, I conquered." -- Julius Caesar

"Nuts!" -- General Anthony McAuliffe�s response to surrender Bastogne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Et tu, Brutis.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya don't suppose James had commaitis, do yah?
That was painful. At one point, I guess that was the price of being literate...to suffer for "art."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Ya don't suppose James had comma-itis, do yah? �

Some "writers" seemed to have used (liberally) salt-shakers filled with commas.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who?

grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i get more comprehension from Mark Twain and an elaborate picture as well ,I get nothing out of the other

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Some "writers" seemed to have used (liberally) salt-shakers filled with commas.

That's some fine writing right there. smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MacLorry
"Generally, the fewer the words that fully communicate or evoke the intended ideas and feelings, the more effective the communication." -- Mark Twain

"I came, I saw, I conquered." -- Julius Caesar

"Nuts!" -- General Anthony McAuliffe�s response to surrender Bastogne

�Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell." (Strunk, The Elements of Style)

"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is a large matter � 'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning." (Mark Twain, forgettum where)

"Veni, vidi, vici" (Julius C�sar, above, verbatim)

"The obvious is preferable to the obvious avoidance of it." (Fowler, Modern English Usage)

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by norm99
i get more comprehension from Mark Twain and an elaborate picture as well ,I get nothing out of the other

Isolating the "core sentence" helps a little � "He left it to Miss Gostrey to name � his doom."

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (29aholic, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 348srfun, 45 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,975
Posts18,519,831
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.