Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check this website... Why Quit?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom264
I never started..

that was the first thing that came to mind for me as well....I avoid habit forming stuff like the plague....never developed a taste for coffee either

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cold turkey for me.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My last cigarette was smoked at about 9:30 p.m. on October 7, 2002, en route to a heart hospital with mild chest pains. Twenty minutes after arriving there, a massive heart attack struck. Quick response by everyone, especially the cardiologists who inserted a stent to open my 100%-blocked "widowmaker" artery just nine minutes later, saved my life.

I tried using nicotine patches the first week after returning home but they didn't curb my craving,, so there was nothing to do but tough it out. I had been smoking four packs a day before the heart attack, and I kept telling myself that one puff would get me started again. Each day, week, month, and finally a year without cigarettes was a milestone for me.

Fifty years of heavy smoking left me a bunch of heart-related diseases, and I am here to say that if you smoke, stop before it is too late.

Bill Quimby

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
Shortly after I made my previous post I had to run to the corner store. There was a young lady in front of me and she asked for a pack of Marlboro Red, regular length. I heard the clerk tell her "That will be $9.42 Miss" I couldn't believe HOW MUCH a pack of cigarettes cost in NY any more. Mostly Federal and State taxes of course. It is no wonder so many people travel to one of the Indian Reservations around here. I shudder at the thought what my 2 packs a day cost a week.

WOW!! 9.42 for one pack of smokes! When I started, they were 17 to 20 cents per pack. Seems like 2.00 a carton (10 packs) for a long time. Man, I couldn't afford to smoke now days!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I'm going to tell you something Miss Lynn. Hypnosis works.

For some.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Decided that I wanted to see my kid grow up so upon returning from a 2 week hunting trip, threw my pipe,cigs and cigars out the window when I hit city limits. I planned this a month prior so wasn't so hard to do.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BarryC
Zyban.

Totally flipped that little nicotine switch in my head from "on" to "off".

+1

Been "OFF" for 8 years now...

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit Chewing 18 days ago. they gave me the patches witch made me sick so I gave them back, they had me on something like wellbutrand but I had a hard time sleeping with all the weared dreams so I've been cold turkey for the last 10 days. I have been spending about an hour in the gym every other days and that seems to help the most.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cold turkey first sunday of June 1975 for me.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know a guy that smoked a long time and could never quit. Hypnosis worked for him.
I did it cold turkey.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cold turkey for me.

Quit my pack and a half a day habit the month before my first kid was born.
She's 12 now.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
after smoking heavily for almost 30 years, I was able to quit 'cold turkey'. At the time, I was puffing three packs of unfiltered Camels a day.
I bought two new packs. I put one on the truck dashboard, the other on the night stand. From experience, I knew that wanting a cigarette, and not having any available, I would get up at 4 AM and drive to the hajji mart.
After a week, I tossed those unopened packs, and never looked back.
Not saying it was easy, but I am saying that it is doable.
I quit the first week of 1987, so I have been 'smoke free' for over 24 years now.
Smelling other folks cigarettes does not bother me at all.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/27/11.

Sam......

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I smoked 40 cigarettes a day every day unless I was drinking, and then it went to 60. I quit because my ex-wife (who wasn't ex at the time) told me that kissing me was like licking an ashtray. I went cold turkey, and it took me about three weeks to get past the craving for a smoke. She left me about six months later for a guy that was a smoker. Go figure! I was better off without both her and the cigarettes, though it took me some time to figure that out.

All I did was to quit buying, and then quit putting the "next" cigarette into my mouth. That was 29 years ago. Quitting coffee has not worked AT ALL! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I quit about a thousand times, sometimes cold turkey other times using the pill or patches.
Yes it sometimes worked, sometimes for a few days, sometimes a few weeks. When I would start back it would be due to a bad day, or maybe a good day that I thought would be better with smokes. The first half of the first cig. would taste soooo good by the time I put it out it tasted like chit. But then I had the rest of the pack to smoke up or throw away ( I did that a few times but usually smoked them). Still get the uerge to smoke but holding on to the memory of how bad that first cig. will taste after those first few puffs, and how guilty I will feel for failing again has done it for me so far.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still havent quit. frown Ive tried everything from patches, gum, chantix...the chantix actually made me smoke MORE at first because my body wasnt getting the benefit of nicotine so I knew it was starting to work, then I got stomach problems from it. Had to quit. The thing that worked the best, even though I still havent quit, was a book someone sent me in pdf format called Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. They sell it on Amazon . I went from smoking 2 packs/day down to half a pack while reading. They say when you finish the book you are quit. I never had the balls to finish the book frown I guess I scared id ACTUALLY quit. Weird I know. Anyhow thats my suggestion, try the book.

Lynn ,sent you a PM.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The only person I know that has quit with success was my Grandma. She had a heart attack and the doc told her to quit, and she did that day. Cold turkey.

I wish him luck.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Quit cold turkey once, lasted a year, then I started back. Finally quit for good 8 years ago using the patch.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was going down the road to work one morning, took a smoke out, looked at it and said" These SOBs don't own me." I littered the road with a pack. 8 years ago and not a puff since. Can't stand the smell of smoke on someone else.

Praise the lord, my oldest son, his wife, and my daughter have gone cold turkey on smoking. Got one more son to work on and a bunch of my students.

Miss Lynn, just keep on encouraging him..

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,860
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.