Yes, and my arse smells like violets! shocked grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Putting protectants on sterile flat blocks is one type of testing but it ignores the chemistry of a fired barrel as someone above posted. And possibly the chemical interaction of any previously introduced products. Again this is a barrel with "years" of typical hunting use. It's hard evidence of the most practical kind without any influence from ANY other introduced chemicals. It's shot from the bench on occasion, it's hunted in the field on occasion, and stored in an uncontrolled safe for months at a time. Always used 100% totally and absolutely never any other chemical in the bore other than bore butter, along with 777 combustion byproducts (and maybe a little from the 4f or nullB picked into the flash hole). There have been periods of a few years when the barrel was not removed, never ever been washed or had any type of solvent introduced.

Sterile plates sitting around for a couple months aside, hard to dispute the actual effect of only bore butter in a real barrel. There may be other products that work just as well but I can't see how any could protect any better in real world conditions. Taken about a week ago after about 4 months of storage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tundragriz/BoreVideos#5583400052852085970

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
stop the film around 45-48sec and theres a big ol chunk of rusty spot lol.

49 sec " pause asap" there appears to be a big ol pit mark and a deep scratch.

You should run some copper conicals " Thor" through that GPR, My fathers cabelas hawken had the same chatter marks on the rifling that makes it look like a wash board. Fired around 40 shots and it really smoothed it out.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm like Gmack.I have been using bore butter since about 76,nothing else inmy TC hawkin. Never had any rust. Cleaning every 5-6 shots don't bother me much. I did wear a barrel out which TC rebarrele for zip.After ML season, I clean it , swab with methanol to make sure all the moisture is out and swab with bore butter. Then it sets until the next summer.Patches come out just yellow like the bore butter.
Maybe the elk I kill in Colorado have bad noses, but I always watch the wind.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I never mind the wind because my ass smells like an aspen.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally, I never mind the wind because my ass smells like an aspen.....

lmao grin
not sure whats bothering me more , the aspen comment or that you know what you arse smells like LOL

sometimes you might not want to smell like ?? well you know whistle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKrd1RNy2U&feature=related

Last edited by captchee; 03/22/11.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by captchee
lmao grin
not sure whats bothering me more , the aspen comment or that you know what you arse smells like LOL

Naw, cap, I don't know from personal experience, it's just what I've been told. And since my sh** don't stink, I believe it.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Okay, okay. So I must admit I smell and that the pine-scented BoreButter won't cover that awful odor, but...spray your pitts and crotch with any petroleum product and tell me if it covers your stank any better smile.

Maybe the old wintergreen, BenGay smell would be better anyway. The deer would think we were nursing home geezers and pay less attention. Then we could get the drop on them?

smile

William Clunie
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by william clunie
but...spray your....crotch with any petroleum product and tell me if it covers your stank any better smile.

It might not cover the odor, but I've heard you can get up to 1,000 loadings without swabbing.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
if'n yalls knew better, you wouldnt even have to oil your bore ever again.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by smokepole
but...spray your....crotch with any petroleum product and tell me if it covers your stank any better smile.

It might not cover the odor, but I've heard you can get up to 1,000 loadings without swabbing.....

If sprayed directly in the rectal region, I've heard it makes you run faster too.

bigblock,
No, I don't want to see any YouTube videos of this procedure.

Last edited by william clunie; 03/23/11. Reason: to make my opinion sound less arrogant

William Clunie
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If sprayed directly in the rectal region, I've heard it makes you run faster too.

Only if you're close behind. shocked

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I purchased a T/C New Englander (used) recently. The bore was in good shape altho the previous owner was probably not as careful overall as I am. I shot the rifle and cleaned it using the "new" methods and products such as the Bore Butter. What a mistake. It didn't take too long and what do I find in the barrel?.....RUST! I,m back to the hot water, soap and Clenzoil. I'll stay with what works. The bore butter may be ok for patch lube but don't trust it for rust protection. I won't.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Ah, don't toss the bore butter...do like Smokepole and use it for spreading on your toast with your mornin' coffee.

William Clunie
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I eat more bore butter before breakfast than most guys do in a lifetime......

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,110
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.