Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Does anyone have a link to the story about OxYoke Original WonderLube 1000. I read year's ago an article that had technical data showing 1000 shots fired in a T/C New Englander .50 using non-petroleum cleaning/lubing products by OxYoke. The article stated they never cleaned or lubed between shots and had a 1 1/2" group with the last four shots of 1000.

William Clunie
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I remember seeing that in advertising claims. I never tested it to that extent though! If anybody wants to buy the powder and lead, and pay me a week's wages to take the time to do it, I would be happy to conduct that experiment and report back!

I like Wonderlube ok, but don't use it much, preferring spit patches for PRB targets and bear grease for lubing hunting patches. When the bear grease runs low, out comes the Wonderlube. I do like the Wonderwads that are pre-lubed with Wonderlube for C&B revolvers, but it's been so long since I bought any I don't even know if they're made anymore.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks SP,
I had the actual article with technical data and photos. Can't find it now!

William Clunie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
wonderlube - bore butter, what ever name they use, aint worth a dang.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455
wonderlube - bore butter, what ever name they use, aint worth a dang.

Why? And I suppose frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/ is better because...

1) We all want modern ML's?
2) We don't like traditional ML's?
3) Free ad space on this forum is a deal?

Inquiring minds just have to know.

William Clunie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
William,

Bore butter is just a wax. Its great for a patch lube, mainly what i use it for, however, all this season your barrel crap, its just that. Bore butter - Wonder lube is horrible rust protection.

Not only that but the biggest complaints are from those that used it in their bores a lot and it built up so badly over time and their accuracy went down hill.

Check this one out,
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=...Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455
William,

Bore butter is just a wax. Its great for a patch lube, mainly what i use it for, however, all this season your barrel crap, its just that. Bore butter - Wonder lube is horrible rust protection.

Not only that but the biggest complaints are from those that used it in their bores a lot and it built up so badly over time and their accuracy went down hill.

Check this one out,
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=...Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives

I've read that test before. Great article about rust prevention.

I'm not talking about rust prevention. I'm talking about shot-to-shot accuracy and ease of repeatedly reloading a muzzleloader. WonderLube 1000 can't be beat (non-petroleum).

William Clunie
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll be siding with gnoahhh here.

Yes, it is wax based and if you clean with solvents it will build up over time. Season a bore like a cast iron skillet..don't know if that's exactly what's going on, but... I've been using it almost since it came out and I've never experienced the problems associated with it. I clean with boiling water and that eliminates the problem with wax based anything. I also use it as my bore coating when I'm finished cleaning. I belive, but can't prove, that the boiling water expands those little cracks and fissures in a bore and when a patch coated with Bore Butter is ran through the bore, as it cools it sucks the stuff in those little cracks and fissures, coats the hot bore and prevents oxidation because it's effectively sealed. Am I crazy....mebbe...but I NEVER have a rust problems and if my rifles shot any better I don't know what I'd do with the extra accuracy.

In modern rifles if one lets the copper fouling build up accuracy will be compromised also...don't see a lot of difference here.

I'd also perfer bear fat but bears are in rather short supply for shooting in Missouri.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been using it as a patch lube and rust preventative in my T/C hawken for 10 years now. No rust, no buildup, excellent accuracy, no complaints. I think the problems asociated with it are complete bullschitt.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've been using it as a patch lube and rust preventative in my T/C hawken for 10 years now. No rust, no buildup, excellent accuracy, no complaints. I think the problems asociated with it are complete bullschitt.

I've been doing the same since the 70's and haven't had a problem. I rest my case.

William Clunie
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
frontiermuzzleloading....yea, that's a real good traditional site...bet they got all the answers about real black powder, patched round ball, patch lube, flintlocks, cap locks, etc., etc. And that one guy wasn't even born when most of us started seriously shooting muzzleloaders.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
LOL who said my site was about traditional muzzle loading?

Keep your personal attacks to yourself why dont you.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
and you guys may have been around longer than i have, so which brings up the point, you havent learned much if you're still using bore butter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You don't even dignify a response.

NRA Benefactor 2008

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't let the whelp get under your skin 4590. It's the hubris of youth talking- lots of knowledge about a few things, and little wisdom to make sense of it all, coupled with arrogance toward anybody who dares to dispute him.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Supercilious is the word that comes to mind.

NRA Benefactor 2008

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use it as a patch lube, bullet lube and to swab the bore in my caplocks and flintlocks with good results. It does turn brown when left in the barrel and alot of people mistake it for rust and panic. I just keep a jag on my ramrod and wipe the bores every so often. My blackpowder guns get used more often than any of my other guns and naturally get cleaned regularly. I buy my Wonder Lube from Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies from the folks who made the original stuff. Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
BigBlock455 seems to have changed his signature website from frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/ to GandersMuzzleloadingsomthingORother.com?
Kinda shifty...

William Clunie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
and your point?

This is about how crummy bore butter is LOL.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 28 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,000
Posts18,481,257
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.