Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking at getting a .44 Remington Magnum revolver. I'd like to take groundhogs out to 200-250 yards with it. I am thinking about chucking 240 grain pills out at 1500 ft/s.

I'd like to have a 6.5" barrel.

My question is what revolver? I don't know much at all about revolvers and which ones are most accurate.

Also a handgun scope, are there any handgun scopes out there that have reliable turrets for cranking?

Thanks fellas!

Shoot straight, shoot often
GB1

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
if you can find a Dan Wesson buy it

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Big Stick where are you???????

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Can you send me a link to a specific one you have in mind?

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
no longer made, which is why i said "if you can find one". every now and then they come up on gun broker

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm

load it up with 23grns of 2400 and a sierra 220grn silhouette
(again if you can find them)
do not use this load with a smith, bad things happen

IC B2

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
but you do know they have a trajectory like a rainbow, but still fun

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add to the list Freedom Arms.
Get a good LER scope as well.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I definitely understand their trajectory, nothing comes good out of a low muzzle velocity and a relatively "poor" drag coefficient. Also that's exactly why I am doing it, for fun.

I just purchased a Remington 700 Sendero SF II chambered in .300 RUM with a full nightforce optics setup, that is my long range flat shooter.

I love ballistics, every single aspect of it. I believe this long range .44 magnum project will be a load of fun.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
+1 on the LER scope, a 240 grain pill coming out at 1500 ft/s isn't gonna be wrist friendly.....

I just need to find a good LER scope with good turrets!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Getting consist accuracy at 200-250 yards with a revolver might be a tall order. Sounds like fun though.

I'd be more inclined to go for something like an Encore 30-30 handgun, and 110 gr VMax, or similar.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Leupold variable LER has the most MOA internally, and you can send it in and get target turrets on it.

Originally Posted by SniperAce016
+1 on the LER scope, a 240 grain pill coming out at 1500 ft/s isn't gonna be wrist friendly.....

I just need to find a good LER scope with good turrets!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My first choice would also be a Freedom Arms revolver and a Leupold LER scope.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I heard about a guy who dropped a big block in a Chevette, he got great times in the quarter mile. My question is why? Drop a bunch of money on a 44 mag for shooting little critters at 200-250 yards, yes you can do it, but why?

I have a anti-conformist streak in me, but it doesn't go this far. Can you shed some light on the desire/need?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ruger made a Blackhawk in the .30 carbine. Dunno what that'd come out dropwise downrange, but it'd seem flatter than alotta alternatives.

Ella

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I love reloading and ballistics. This little project would definitely press my skills. Anyhow this isn't just for 200-250 yards, it's really for varmints anywhere between 0-250 yards.

I never owned a revolver, or any handgun in fact and I love smacking things way out there with a really slow pill. I became inspired when I used to shoot airguns quite frequently..

Also my step-cousin (who is also my best friend) owns a .44 magnum (a Smith and Wesson classic 29 that his deceased Father gave him) and I told him I'd like to purchase one also and reload with him. He also happens to live in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of fields with loads of groundhogs.

I could honestly go on all day on why I want go through with this little project. I honestly don't think it's that much of a stretch personally, I happen to obtain good results with challenges.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever you get, you realize you could always get it re-barreled easily with a quality barrel.
Make sure you buy something that you can get a good trigger pull with.
Why the shorter barrel for varmints?

FA would be my first choice.

Power to you on this.
If it itches--Scratch it!

Love the idea of 200-250 yard revolver.
Go have fun, and see what you can learn about LR revolvers.
IHMSA revolvers shoot at 200 meters on steel, I don't see why you can't be successful.

Revolvers are not my niche, but I love stretching things with the single-shot handguns beyond 1K.

It is no more of a stretch than my 2000 yard pd goal with a single-shot specialty pistol smile

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Your exactly right XP.

I believe anything is possible with a quality firearm and a competent reloader.

I am obtaining 1/2 MOA groups at 500 yards with my stock Remington 700 VLS chambered in .223 Remington using my reloads (bullets are 50 grain Hornady v-max's).

Although Freedom Arms is a pretty obvious choice for a high quality and accurate revolver, I am thinking of something along the lines of a Smith and Wesson. Not only because I really don't have the money to drop on one right now, but also because I wanna match my cousins revolver so we both get semi-equal results.

I honestly don't think I'll have a problem getting some good results. I am not expecting sub MOA groups or anything but at least enough to smack a chuck.

Good luck with that 2000 yard pd single shot specialty pistol. What caliber would that even be chambered for?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i would look at a ruger black hawk if i remember right they are availible in barrel lengths from 4 to 11 inches , i had a ruger black hawk in 44 mag and that thing was built like a tank and i could run really stiff loads through it that i would not recomend running in other brands . also accuracy was better than any other revolver that i ever shot , which really isnt saying all that much due to the fact that i never have owned or shot many revolvers , there may be other brands out there that are far better in the accuracy department , but if you want one that is built like a tank take a look at them .

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by xphunter
Whatever you get, you realize you could always get it re-barreled easily with a quality barrel.
Make sure you buy something that you can get a good trigger pull with.
Why the shorter barrel for varmints?

FA would be my first choice.

Power to you on this.
If it itches--Scratch it!

Love the idea of 200-250 yard revolver.
Go have fun, and see what you can learn about LR revolvers.
IHMSA revolvers shoot at 200 meters on steel, I don't see why you can't be successful.

Revolvers are not my niche, but I love stretching things with the single-shot handguns beyond 1K.

It is no more of a stretch than my 2000 yard pd goal with a single-shot specialty pistol smile

Velcoity in revolvers is not as big of a deal as in rifles or single shot specialty pistols IMHO and expereince at least with open sights, but the ability to shoot accurately is.

I have taken a Carribou with a Ruger Bisley in 45 colt at 150 yards and a 99 pound pig at a lasered 218 yards with open sights. The load on the Carribou was a 310 grain LBT hard cast at 12400 FPS and the bullet exited. The load on the pig was the 325 grain hard cast, Buffal Bore factory load.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several actually grin
6.5WSM, 7mm WSM, 7mm Dakota, 338 Lapua Improved (338 AX / 338 Allen Xpress), and another one that is not quite finished yet, but up to the task. cool

Originally Posted by SniperAce016
Good luck with that 2000 yard pd single shot specialty pistol. What caliber would that even be chambered for?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.