Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Double dog dare ya. Have thought about one in a 700 thrown in an Edge stock. Figure since I ain't got to worry about it getting stuck I wouldn't need a big ass claw on the bolt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paddler

Cool rifle. Is that forend what they call a stalking rifle? It looks like standard Winchester wood somebody modified and added the ebony forend tip to. I think I'd like to build my 7X57 with the forend shape. It's a classic look and so is ideal for the classic calibers.

IIRC it's a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight stock. Yes, the ebony forend tip has been added. I think the forend was shortened and reshaped slightly to resemble the old-style British bolt rifles. The stock was stripped of its finish and an oil finish was applied. The checkering was also recut.

My gunsmith (and friend) did the work and it's one of his personal rifles.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
They suck! They're slow, won't feed, and can't hit the broad side of a barn! I'm fixing to hacksaw this one in half!

[Linked Image]

shocked shocked shocked

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now you guys know perfectly well you don't need such a high power for these modern animals! Why I just read from Mr. Aagaard on page 253 of Nosler #4 that the 7x57 is all anyone needed 'cept for big bears. He also said that the 160gr. Partition would be his choice for an all around bullet. So, what is SO special about the 300 H&H? Maybe cause its old and still works!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 300 H&H just keeps life interesting. It is older than I am, but just as good!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
it was the original of the fast .30s and it was at it's most popular when the rifles chambered to it were mostly hand fit and finished...
some first class workmanship went into those old rifles as well as it did in some of the customs of more recent days...

that the h&h was capable, accurate, and interesting in 1925 is not in dispute...
and it's still capable enough and accurate enough today, for that matter...

the interest of the rifle world,though has been held for nearly 50 years by the .300 winchester, for the most part...
and there are other, newer cartridges that deserve a look, such as the .300 ruger, and even the .300 dakota....
maybe some special attention is due the .300 rem ultra mag as well...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw

the interest of the rifle world,though has been held for nearly 50 years by the .300 winchester, for the most part...
and there are other, newer cartridges that deserve a look, such as the .300 ruger, and even the .300 dakota....

Yeah, but none of those cartridges have the history, nostalgia, and panache of the .300 H&H.

Each to his own, though.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
that the reputation and following of the .300 winchester steadily grew as the reputation of the rifle it was designed for went out the window might be the greatest testament to the cartridge...

reality insists that the winnie was a cost cutting move in answer to a world that wanted a fast .30, and they wanted it in the remingtons and winchesters that needed costly extra work and machining to make the h&h case function...

the cut down, simplified winchester cartridge, in eliminating the drastic body taper of it's parent case, added engine room that allowed it to be loaded, at acceptable chamber pressures, to velocities that surpassed the h&h...

i've heard that the ammo companies loaded down the h&h to boost the sales of the winnie... that might figure for winchester, but i have doubts about the others...
the h&h was always loaded to lower pressure, if i'm not mistaken...

i have loaded the h&h to higher pressures and it performed well, but case stretching and brass life went downhill...
when the h&h case is ackleyed it really will stay with the weatherby and without the tapered case issues of the original motor...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good post and all good points. A couple of exceptions, the H&H was loaded to lower pressures back then, but then again so were ALL British cordite loaded cartridges. Today the H&H is the same as the others. The 300 Winnie is a fantastic cartridge and easily the practical choice. Can be built on a standard action etc. But equally loaded there is really no difference although brass issues are a problem with the H&H. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by johnw

Yeah, but none of those cartridges have the history, nostalgia, and panache of the .300 H&H.

Each to his own, though.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

yeah, and it's so veddy, veddy british as well... (yawn sleep)
the brits had some cool stuff, but the tweed coat crowd holds no interest for me...

at an airbase in scotland, and again at ft bragg, i got to play with a brit .338 based on the blown out h&h cartidge... it was cool, but needed a bit more rifle to make it comfortable to shoot... it was wicked from prone....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
actually, although it's a few years newer than the h&h, i do believe that the winnies aura of history, nostalgia, and panache surpass that of the h&h, due to the compression factor of it having been used so much, by so many all over the world....

that is, if your into that aura stuff, and if you discount the brit thing....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by therifleman
Having been a custom builder for over 35 years, I have shot almost everything out there. I began a love affair with the 300 h&h about 25 years ago when I found that I could shoot the 200 gr. Barnes X bullets and get better ballistics than the other 300 magnums. I have used my H&H for everything from white tail out at the ranch all the way up to Eland and leopard in Africa. Some don't know this little trivia but the H&H once held the Wimbledon record for 1000 yards back in the 1930's. The one that I built back in 1993 has been used all over the world and so Far I have never shot an animal twice and never had to chase one down. I have now been using the Barnes 200 tsx for about 5 years and I load to 3050 fps w/ H4831. Give one a try you may fall in love with it too.

Without looking it up, that shooters name was Ben Comfort.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey fellas, something pretty cool ya'll might know more about than me. I was just passed down a pre 64 (1952) Winchester Model 70 in 300 H&H. My grandfather owned the gun, and in search of faster speeds, he had a gunsmith in Los Angeles wildcat the chamber, and called it the 300 H&H magnum "Super". The shoulder becomes a lot steeper upon fire forming, and the round seems to shoot much more accurately, and also flatter. Anyone else ever heard of such a wildcat? I've heard of only 2, my grandfather's and his brother's.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How many cartridges were made off the 300H&H case.Wasnt the 257 Weatherby?Must be a dozen more-maybe there is a reason.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by TannerGun; 02/28/11.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Odd factoid. Ruger has dropped the .300 RM -- and the .30-06 -- from its #1 offerings in its current catalogue but still offers some .300 H&Hs. Trends in demand?

The H&H feeds smoothly, recoils more gently, and is the center piece of more classical writing from the safari "Golden Age".
It's comeback will prbably grow but "peter out" -- where did that term come from?-- in time. But it will not disappear because the 300 RM just does not offer that much more to drive it off the market.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 03/01/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
With 180 gr bullets:

300H&H -3090
300 Win-3100(one long throat M70 averaged 3140,easily)
300 Weatherby-3150-3200.(Depending)

Can't tell the difference on game.I didn't read it in a book. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Finest damn hull they ever stuck a primer in, LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Other than nostalgia aspect. What is so special about the 300 H&H? Cartridge shape appears to be somewhat inefficient although in a bolt action functioning might be a little better. Balistics across most bullet weights appear to be somewhere between the 30:06 and 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM. Just asking. Thanks in advance.

There is indeed nothing 'special' about the 300 H&H except for old guys like me that were "Retro Cool" before being called out by a gunwriter. I have had a 300 HH for a long time as both a collection piece and one of my long range game rifles. I have had it while others have been sold. I had 300 WM's, 7mm RM's etc, etc.

Mine is an old M70 that has a 3.5-10 VX3 on it now. Its a big, clumsy, heavy, good looking rifle. Mine is accurate and reliable. I have it sighted with Berger 185 VLD's. I brought it up here by the computer. It weighs 9#, 4oz. No way that I would carry it now that I have the WSM's in Montanas. The 7mm WSM Montana goes 7#, 6oz. with a 3-9 Conquest!

The 300 HH's shoulder is not enough to hold it back for headspace. It needs its belt.

Overall it seems cool to some. Suppose thats enough! After all this is all just for fun.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I must be in my Retro Phase. My Favorite Hunting Rifles are my 300 H&H and my 300 Savage. Logicly this could be satisfied with the 30-06....But I ain't Mr. Spock and that would be boring.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.