-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are looking for good binoculars or a good argument, either one you can get it here. I can and have owned most of the high end glass and after several bouts between Swarovski EL's and Leica Ultravids, I finally sttled on the Swarovski 8.5X42 Swarovision binoculars.

It has been said that the 32 mm binos stay with the 42's in all around use...they don't. Although the EL 32 mm are quite good, so are the SLC 30 and Leica 32mm. They can't give you the same light transmission or field of view. They are more compact, but they are not as good.

Get the Swarovski 8.5X42 Swarovision and you will be impressed. I doubt you would be disappointed. Even if you were diappointed, you can sell the Swarovski's at least 5 times faster than any other optic you mentioned, there must be a reason.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Also, as light as the alpha glasses are getting in 8x42 the 8x32 class are less desirable. And they are simply not as bright and it does make a difference.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by tlfw

Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD

The 8x32 Leica is the compromise I make... and rest assured, any binocular is a compromise weighted in one direction or another.

Gotta correct myself here......did not consider the "one binocular/all round" thing.....because I gave up the notion 30 years ago,and have always had a "light" 7 or 8X in conjunction with a 10x40 or 42,because I simply prefer the 10X for the general run of Western hunting.I have just had too many times out west when I wanted the extra power.

That said, I bring both on any traveling hunt.

But I have to admit that if I were forced to choose one it would be small,light 7 or 8X like Brad,knowing I was leaving something on the table(at least for me)....which is what inevitably happens when you choose "one" of anything. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
... but the SLC HD has better build quality. ...

Is that a fact or an opinion?? If fact, what's it based on? Curious I am.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Brad

Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD

The 8x32 Leica is the compromise I make... and rest assured, any binocular is a compromise weighted in one direction or another.

Gotta correct myself here......did not consider the "one binocular/all round" thing.....because I gave up the notion 30 years ago,and have always had a "light" 7 or 8X in conjunction with a 10x40 or 42,because I simply prefer the 10X for the general run of Western hunting.I have just had too many times out west when I wanted the extra power.

That said, I bring both on any traveling hunt.

But I have to admit that if I were forced to choose one it would be small,light 7 or 8X like Brad,knowing I was leaving something on the table(at least for me)....which is what inevitably happens when you choose "one" of anything. smile

Idea! --> Switch Power binoculars

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Geovid 8X42. No flies on the rangefinder, either.

Stacked with my Leica 10X42 Trinovid I preferred the 8X Geovid's view. the magnification difference wasn't as big a factor as it might seem.

Any 10X is difficult for me to hand-hold and I found the 8X's to have for me a better view, too.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Savage yes the switch power bins are an option.......but it kinda takes the fun outta blowin money on a second pair of binoculars grin

You know...like buying another rifle!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

Bet is that you and I already have that second set of binoculars. Both that I have are heavier and bigger than these new 7/12 32's!

These are a neat new toy. If your a Cabelas CLub member you get an extra $100 off!

Here are the old ones. My son's Pentax is in the middle. Those Hensoldt's on the right are what I have used since the 60's. I got a discount on them then and only paid $127.00!

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You are looking for good binoculars or a good argument, either one you can get it here. I can and have owned most of the high end glass and after several bouts between Swarovski EL's and Leica Ultravids, I finally sttled on the Swarovski 8.5X42 Swarovision binoculars.

It has been said that the 32 mm binos stay with the 42's in all around use...they don't. Although the EL 32 mm are quite good, so are the SLC 30 and Leica 32mm. They can't give you the same light transmission or field of view. They are more compact, but they are not as good.

Get the Swarovski 8.5X42 Swarovision and you will be impressed. I doubt you would be disappointed. Even if you were diappointed, you can sell the Swarovski's at least 5 times faster than any other optic you mentioned, there must be a reason.

Shrapnel,

I can assure you, I'm not a troll. It pains me to admit I'm the market beause I lost my 10x42SLCs. I don't think they were the best all end all even at the time, but were pretty close. I have honestly not even looked at the market/trends technology in 8 years or so. I think I only think I know what I want to look through.

I really do appreciate all the information and personall preferences. I have found in the last few years, my eyes are deteriorating fast. I also hate to admit that too. There is nothing that is going to the best at all criteria and everything has concessions on way or the other, and I agree with this. I do have 2 pairs of Leica rangefinders, the 800 and 1200. I don't chase technology and need the latest and greatest. I try and buy good gear the first time and not buy twice. It doesn't seem to work out for me this time, and that is all on me. I would have rather spend the money on something I didn't have vs. spending on something I used to have...

The land of the free because of the brave.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
ONLY ONE??? Golly...like having only 1 rifle...I guess I'd pick my 8x42 Leicas...but more than one...8x42 Leicas....12x45 Zeiss...8x30 SLC...10x28 Golden Ring Leupolds.. wink

Last edited by ou76; 03/03/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shrapnel,

I can assure you, I'm not a troll. It pains me to admit I'm the market beause I lost my 10x42SLCs. I don't think they were the best all end all even at the time, but were pretty close. I have honestly not even looked at the market/trends technology in 8 years or so. I think I only think I know what I want to look through.

I really do appreciate all the information and personall preferences. I have found in the last few years, my eyes are deteriorating fast. I also hate to admit that too. There is nothing that is going to the best at all criteria and everything has concessions on way or the other, and I agree with this. I do have 2 pairs of Leica rangefinders, the 800 and 1200. I don't chase technology and need the latest and greatest. I try and buy good gear the first time and not buy twice. It doesn't seem to work out for me this time, and that is all on me. I would have rather spend the money on something I didn't have vs. spending on something I used to have...

I wish you the best im completing your quest. I sell and have sold most high end glass in binoculars, spotting scopes and LRF. I can own which I choose, I have tried them and used them in the field and stick by the Swarovski's. I do own and use a set of Leica Ultravid 8X20 compacts, but they are just for fun, when it comes to real hard glassing, The 8.5X42 El's are wonderful, they don't tire your eyes and are so bright and crisp, I can't help but say WOW, every time I use them.

With the quality of the optics in the 8.5X, you don't need the 10X to see what was necessary to have 10X in earlier glass.

I can even get you whichever binoculars you want including the Leica Ultravids. Whether you get them here or at a sporting goods store, I agree with you to do it once and not be sorry. (hint: Swarovski EL Swarovision)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
8x42, IMHO, for all around use. 10X can be harder to hold still, at least for me. Wt. can be a big issue, especially with the 7x50's etc. I guess it depends on bulk, wt., and what you're going to be doing. Don't guess there's a "right answer", just a series of compromises and trade off's. Regardless of the size I chose, I'd go with the highest grade my budget would allow.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to consider the Leica Duovids 8+12x42. Excellent optics though you don't get quite the pop you would with the 8.5x42 Swaro EL's but they are still compact and give you the advantage of the dual power. You also don't need to refocus when you change power like I've heard you must with other switch power binocs.

If that's not your cup of tea, I'd personally stick with the Leica or Swaro in 8x unless you get the 7x42 Zeiss Victory which are considered by many to be one of the top all around binocs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

It has been said that the 32 mm binos stay with the 42's in all around use...they don't. Although the EL 32 mm are quite good, so are the SLC 30 and Leica 32mm. They can't give you the same light transmission or field of view.

shrapnel, when it come to FOV and Swarovski the 32mm wins. a 10x32 Swaro EL HD has a Fov of 360' and the 10x42 EL HD has a FOV of 336

For a general all purpose hunting bino I prefer the Meopta Meostar 8x32. They are bright, lightweight and have a 420' FOV.

Last edited by 338rcm; 03/03/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "rolling ball" effect in the Swarovsion's is something that a lot of us can't tolerate... I'd never own a pair having tried them on multiple occasions. Some people notice it less than others...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, 32's usually have wider FOV than 42's of the same brand, series, and magnification.

They don't quite hang with the 42mm binos in low light, but the difference isn't really that huge when you're talking about premium binoculars. My Leica 8X32 U-vid HD's are usable before and beyond legal shooting hours already, so I find the slight reduction in low light performance a worthwhile tradeoff for the handier size and weight. I think a high end 8X32 bino is a great compromise for general hunting use. They combine a form factor not much larger than compact binos with optical performance that almost rivals their 42mm brethren. The only optical sacrifice you have to make is that last little bit of low light performance. I wouldn't select a 10X32, but in 8X, the 4mm exit pupil is still sufficiently large enough to be reasonably forgiving and low light performance is still good enough to be useful in 80% - 90% of the light conditions you could use an 8X42. I've compared my 8X32's to some good 8X42's and found the 42's gave me maybe 3-4 minutes of extra viewing time at dawn and dusk.

If you want ultimate low light performance, a high end 8X50 or 10X56 is the way to go, but for all-around use where all day portability is paramount, a good 8X32 will do most of what a good 8X42 will do. If you prefer 10X, don't get a 32, go for 10X42 at minimum.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me, I'd take the SLC HD's only because I couldn't adjust the SV's to comfortably fit the bridge of my nose. Never experienced that before.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The good thing is the OP's list is so good that it pretty much boils down to minor things you like about one vs. another. Or, which one has ergonomics you prefer.

There isn't a bad choice in the whole group; they are all "lifetime" heirloom class binos.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed. I've said this many times that when you are selecting glass at the top end, it usually boils down to ergo's as there isn't enough visible difference worth discussing.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I feel totally confident to state it as a fact based on others experiences and my own. I have and use Leica,Swarovski and Zeiss glass.

The only complaints I have against the Zeiss Victory are purley cosmetic, not functional.

The application of the rubber armoring leaves much to be desired. They have multiple armoring pieces on the bino, my armor has come un-glued in several places.

I have also had the end cap on the focus knob and the front hinge cover fall off of my 10x42 FL.

The optics are superb however, still my preferred glass optically.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 42 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,238
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.