-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I recently acquired a great, early Commercial Mauser Sporter rifle chambered in 9x57 Mauser. In my quest for reloading this rifle and acquiring the components to do so; the 9mm ".356" rifle bullets seem to be the most elusive. While i can locate them from places like Buffalo Arms and a few others the standard 35 caliber rifle bullets ".358" are much easier to find and in a much larger bullet selection. I would prefer to utilize jacketed bullets vs. cast though i know that is also an option.

This brings me to my swagging question. Will a bullet swagging die successfully take jacketed 35 caliber (.358") rifle bullets down to .356"? And if so, could you be so kind as to point me in the direction where i could find such a product?

Thank you

~grissins

"Quis qustodiet ipsos custodes"
(Who will guard the guards?)
HR IC

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd check with Corbin. Back in the 80's, when I got my pre-war 8x57JR drilling, that's where I got the die to swage standard 8mm S bore .323" bullets down to .318" for my J bore. J bore bullets were not available in the US back then. I only did this with cup and core jacketed bullets - no premiums. I got sub MOA when I waited at least 90 seconds between shots - drillings don't do rapid fire well. Killed a little 6 point in Oklahoma with these bullets. I think I was using Speer bullets.

http://www.corbins.com/

I was swaging them .005" so I wouldn't worry about .002".

I've heard of some 9.3 shooters swaging down .375 bullets, though I can't imagine an excuse for that myself.

Brazos Jack

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you for your info Brazos, i will check with corbin and see what they have to say.

Are bullet swagging dies difficult to set/use or are they made to need almost no adjustments?

~grissins

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Initially I had some .35 caliber Hornady SP bullets in my inventory (even bought a .358 expander die from RCBS in hopes of making this work). On my test round with a spent primer with just a .35 Cal 250-grn bullet over an empty case i could barely get the bolt handle to close. (it had to be forced) I tried various seating depths and even a fire-formed and sized case; both with the same result. Which i assume meant the tolerances are to tight for the .358" is that correct?

I have looked up slugging a bore on youtube and seen how the process works. One question i have is, where do i get a hunk of appropriate sized lead (approx .35 caliber) to initially try this with? I don't have any casting materials around. Are there any other clever or common substitutes i could use for this?

~grissins

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back when P.O. Ackley was playing around he took a .30-06 and opened up the neck and fired an 8mm-06. No big deal. He continued up sizing the neck and firing larger diameter bullets through the .30 caliber bore.

Therefore I would have a 'smith open up the neck by .002" and fire standard .358 bullets.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
grissins,
Most likely the easiest approach to sizing bullets down would be a Lee bullet sizer. They should do what you are asking. You will probably have to lube the jacketed bullets with some regular sizing lube, like One-Shot, RCBS lube, Imperial, etc. What comes immediately to mind, is if this will work from a practical standpoint. When you size a jacketed bullet down, the jacket will spring back farther than the lead core, likely leading to a (somewhat) loose jacket fit. Whether this turns out to be a problem, only experience will tell.
I would lean toward Ringman's suggestion if I were stuck on using jacketed bullets. In my case, I would prefer gas-checked cast bullets, probably close to .358", or as close to that as I could get, and not have any chambering difficulties.
Let us know how this turns out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.