Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mw406 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't seen any hunting pictures on the site for a while so I thought I'd post this and see if anyone else is spending "quality time" with their Savages. Went out calling coyotes this past weekend for probably the last time this winter. Looks as though the weather's going to get more spring-like from here on out. Called this dog coyote in and the .22 HP did it's thing once again. I know the boys in Utica didn't have calling coyotes in mind when they came up with the .22 High Power, but they sure designed a dandy little gun for it.

I've been doing a little work at the gun range testing loads for 190 cast bullets in my Model B .303 Savage for spring bear season. That starts in mid-April but I won't really get serious about it 'til mid-May. It looks like 31 grains of IMR 4320 in Norma cases for a velocity just under 2,000 fps and exceptional accuracy is the winner. Thanks goes to 303Mike.

[Linked Image]

Model B on a bear hunt near my home last spring. I think the claw marks on the sign are a good indication that there just might be bears in the area.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mw406; 03/07/11.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Quite refreshing. Nice post and pictures.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great photos. I didn't get out after coyotes this winter; nice to see somebody is keeping 'em thinned out.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mw406
I haven't seen any hunting pictures on the site for a while so I thought I'd post this and see if anyone else is spending "quality time" with their Savages. Went out calling coyotes this past weekend for probably the last time this winter. Looks as though the weather's going to get more spring-like from here on out. Called this dog coyote in and the .22 HP did it's thing once again. I know the boys in Utica didn't have calling coyotes in mind when they came up with the .22 High Power, but they sure designed a dandy little gun for it.

I've been doing a little work at the gun range testing loads for 190 cast bullets in my Model B .303 Savage for spring bear season. That starts in mid-April but I won't really get serious about it 'til mid-May. It looks like 31 grains of IMR 4320 in Norma cases for a velocity just under 2,000 fps and exceptional accuracy is the winner. Thanks goes to 303Mike.

[Linked Image]

Model B on a bear hunt near my home last spring. I think the claw marks on the sign are a good indication that there just might be bears in the area.
[Linked Image]

Thanks to you, I now have stage 4 "cabin fever". grin grin grin grin Several years ago, I could walk in the woods directly behind where I live and SEE coyotes. Honestly, for the last 2 years I haven't seen so much as a track, nor heard them at night. Nice picture and thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bravo! Nicely done! Good luck with the bears and keep us posted!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pics, I've been after the hogs a bit but it's so dry down here the swamps are dry and the swine aren't really around much.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Great pics, want to try my 22HP out on a yote someday! good luck on the bear I might use my 303 B on one this fall if I draw a tag, hope to see some bear pics from you!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not taking the HP bear hunting?

Your MT bears aren't as tough as tigers are they? grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
mw406 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well actually I've been messing around with a heavy load in the 22 HP. I wanted to have a standard soft point for the first shot then follow it up with a stoutly built, deep penetrating bullet for a raking or end-on shot if the coyote turns and heads for cover. I always cringe at the thought of chasing a wounded and pissed off coyote into the bush.

What I came up with is a 55 grain Speer followed by a 63 grain Sierra semi-point. If the first bullet doesn't drop 'em in their tracks, I have confidence the heavier Sierra bullet will penetrate to the vitals and finish them off at least eventually. I usually give them a little time to stiffen up before following the blood trail and spoor into cover. It's the dead coyotes ya know, that 'll get ya.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MW 406. it is nice to see that someone else has take their 22 Hi Power out hunting. I harvested a nice fat Michigan Doe last November with my 1917 H model. In fact I hunt with only Savage firearms. I have taken deer with all four Savage factory calibers. My only Savage rifle that has not been bloody is my 99K model in 300 Savage. Perhaps this November will be its turn in the field. Love hunting with my Savage Rifles from my collection. The other nice thing is that the value of my rifles keep going up, you cannot say that about the new stuff that is being offered by the major firearms manufactures. I enjoy buying and collecting Savages as much as the next guy, but I also hunt, reload, and go to the range with all my rifles.

300 Savage

IC B3

M
mw406 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I do all my rifle hunting with Savages as well. I use tang peep sights with Lyman # 6 folding leaf sights as back-up. I mostly use a .300 G but I'm carrying one of my .303 B's more and more these days. I use a .250-3000 for antelope and coyotes and the .22 HP for an occasional coyote hunt when I'm in the mood. I haven't slung a scoped or for that matter, any non-Savage 1899, over my shoulder in over 4 years. Haven't missed them so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You posted a pic of that ram and your Savage a while ago and I thought it was Sooooo friggin' cool it got a " Click...Save"...

Neat stuff 406... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mw406
I do all my chinchilla trapping with Savages as well. I use tang peep sights with Lyman # 6 folding leaf sights as back-up. I mostly use a .300 G but I'm carrying one of my .303 B's more and more these days. I use a .250-3000 for males and rockchucks and the .22 HP for an occasional weasel hunt when I'm in the mood. I haven't slung a scoped or for that matter, any non-Savage 1899, over my shoulder in over 4 years. Haven't missed them so far. the only thing I missed was drawing a sheep tag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I remember reading about this in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle, if I recall right, you were trapping Chinchillas at the time you found this sheep that had fallen to it's death somewhere near cabin Creek. The real interesting part is how you didn't even have a sheep permit, but sent the FWP $75.00 to cover the cost and they let you keep it.

What a nice day trapping that must have been...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
mw406 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Shrapnel, there are no chincillas up there, I know I looked. That incident actually happened up at the head of Bear Creek near the Hogback. You know the drainage in the Peaks between Deer Creek and Spring Creek.

I will say that Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks lettin' me go ahead and keep that sheep tag even though it was addressed to someone else was un-friggin-believable!!! I often get my neighbors mail ya know. Although I never pay his gas bill.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know, you used to be my neighbor and took your liberties with my truck and 4 wheelers. I never used to lock my stuff up and hide the keys until you moved in next door!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow - very impressive. Almost makes me ashamed to be a collector... hiding these Savage rifles away from people who would go out and live life large with them frown

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve:

If it makes you feel better get one of your guns out of the safe that you haven't seen in 3 years and go drop it on a pile of rocks laugh cool

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 99guy
Steve:

If it makes you feel better get one of your guns out of the safe that you haven't seen in 3 years and go drop it on a pile of rocks laugh cool

Randy

Maybe I should at least start out with a lesser conditioned one... so I can ease into it? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to beat a 99. I use them quite a bit too, but must admit I shoot a lot of critters on the edges of daylight and would have had to pass quite a few if I wasn't carrying a good scoped rifle.

Though this is scoped, it may as well be a peep sight as far as being bright. I love it anyway.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
mw406: Would you share your 22 hp. loads with me, I just bought one and need a place to start working a load up. It looks like yours shoot very well. Thanks in advance.
Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,955
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.