Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...I haven't been on the fire very long but I've already learned painting a stock is discussed on here fairly often. I am having a rifle built and this is my first experience with a High Tech Specialties stock, let me add that Mark Bansner is a first-class gentleman and a pleasure to talk with. I need some advice from you experts on what paint product to use; this rifle will be put through alot (Alaska/BC/Montana and rough winters in the upper midwest). I REALLY like the color of the Kimber Montana stocks (medium gray with a hint of olive) and I'd like that base color with either black and silver webbing or a tri-tone color with the gray being the primary with black and silver highlights. Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks -

HR IC

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hello. I have tried alot of different finishes on fiberglass stocks(mostly MPI), very similar to High Tech. The one I keep going back to is Zolotone. It is incredibly durable, slightly textured and the colors are really cool and easy to blend. For best adhesion, make sure to use the Zolotone primer. I apply it with a gravity feed gun, using a primer nozzle around 65 psi. If you dont have the compressor and gun, Rustoleum textured outdoor furniture paint works well also. Then top with Krylon Lava Black Webbing paint(or white if you are spraying grey). This is a great rattle can solution that is also very durable. Hope this helps!

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...thanks for the info longshot3, Brownells "Aluma-Hyde" is another product I wanted to ask about. Have read great things about this product online but haven't talked to anyone who has specifically tried this product.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
duracoat is what I have used

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I havent tried Aluma hyde yet. I am ordering some to paint my varmint barrel in the next few weeks though. I have heard that it's good on glass as well.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That Duracoat looks great! I need to figure out how to post pix on here!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've had good results with Krylon flat camo paint. Just my personal taste but I don't like shiny finishes on wood or synthetic stocks. These have an under-layer of olive with khaki over the olive. Whatever you do, get a can of acetone or other stripper because you're bound to want to strip some of your first efforts for a do-over:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I'm a big fan of Aluma-Hyde II.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
smokepole, that is extremely sharp...a classy custom camo job. I like it a lot...nice!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I like the Krylon fusion paints, webbing paint, and finish with flat clear coat.

I recommend practicing with the webbing paint to get the effect you want. For me I can do about 2 guns and then the pressure in the can gets a little low and you can get more blotching in the pattern..comes in a small can.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Dawg, it's also really easy. Tape off the pad and action, hang with a wire coat hanger through the front stud, and spray on the base coat of olive.

Then lay it on some newspaper, put some long-leaf pine needles across it a different angles, and hit it with khaki. Just takes some experimenting on cardboard to get the pine needle density right.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
GDawg: Have you considered having Bansner paint the stock for you?

They've got a great selection of colors and their paint holds up extremely well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! [

quote=smokepole]I've had good results with Krylon flat camo paint. Just my personal taste but I don't like shiny finishes on wood or synthetic stocks. These have an under-layer of olive with khaki over the olive. Whatever you do, get a can of acetone or other stripper because you're bound to want to strip some of your first efforts for a do-over:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [/quote]

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Buckster
GDawg: Have you considered having Bansner paint the stock for you?

They've got a great selection of colors and their paint holds up extremely well.

Not sure if Bansner will paint a stock other than on ne of his customs. I do know that B&C will for about $85 (last time I had one done.)

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One thing I find about using a rattle can to paint stocks is I do not have a bunch invested and they look just as good as some very expensive products. If I scratch the stock or if I want something different, it is a very simple task to pull out the Krylon or Rustoleum.

I put down a darker base coat of something like a gray and then use a ragged sponge to lay on various darker colors, usually three or four. It looks pretty ugly at this point, but I then spray very light coats of tan or green to mute the colors below. The affect is pretty cool. If you don�t like it you can start over. When I am finished with the colors I spray a flat clear to seal it and make all the colors reflect light the same.
[Linked Image]

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VarmintLooney,

Nice effect

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Here's a couple more you need to consider, Polane T and Cerakote two of the best and most durable gun finishes, I would contact Eddie Fosnaugh if you need a stock painted!

http://www.fosnaughcustoms.com

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 03/09/11.
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...you have to buy Polane-T by the gallon...and cerakote is an extremely thin product and shows a lot of details if stock is not perfectly prepped...very unforgiving. I am pretty sure Duracoat is basically Polane-T or a very similar product -

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Duracoat has worked very well for me when applied through a gravity feed spray gun. I usually finish it with a matte clear coat. I've got one I need to do now. A few old ones....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...JCMCUBIC - I notice on the camo tactical rifle stock that's rested on the post, you have additional texture on the pistol grip and forend...how are you doing that? Nice work btw -

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.