Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pygmy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
My partners and I have decided we'd like to do a halibut charter in September after we return from our caribou hunt...
<br>
<br>The timing would be the second week of September...
<br>
<br>I've noticed that is near the end of the season for many boats..
<br>
<br>Is the fishing still good then?
<br>
<br>Anybody have any charters they would recommend out of Soldotna or Homer?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pygmy
<br>Fishing only gets better later in the season, and for big fish I prefer October and November. I would reccommend that you go on a 6-pack boat rather than a larger charter. the big boats must work the crowd, get every body 2 fish and get in. Generally the schtick goes something like "well, I don't understand why we are only catching chicken 'buts here today, we caught bigger fish yesterday!" And then they take you to the edge of a kelp patch on the way in and let the limit be filled out with bigger fish. It seems to happen the same way, day after day...
<br>
<br>Creel census in Homer 2 years ago by AK fish and game showed the average sport-kept 'but was about 22" long. That is a fish under 5#. They have to catch a lot smaller than that to make up for every 6'4", 175# fish. It isn't that the 'buts are fished out, but rather the fleet runs a business of hammering schooling baby 'buts.
<br>
<br>The 6-pack boats don't have to worry about catching as many fish and dealing with them when they get back, so they do a far better job of concentrating on bigger fish.
<br>
<br>Unfortunately, I am not available at that time or I would give you a ride on my boat for them. Just the same, you might consider the extra expense in going to Kodiak to fish, because the variety is far greater and you could fish for lots more than just flat fish. Seward also has a bunch of charters and they have greater variety, but the only guys running boats over there that I would suggest have quit. And the big names there are horrible to fish with, tons of complaints regularly.
<br>
<br>There should be plenty of silver salmon available in the streams then, also.
<br>
<br>Would be happy to help anyway I can, either here or on e-mail.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Rob Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pygmy,
<br>I do a little chartering in my spare time out of Seward, Anchor Point and occasionally Whittier. Weather starts to get to be a bigger issue the later it gets.
<br>If you can find the right guy in Homer, they can take you to the Bluff Point area between Homer and Anchor Point - troll for some feeder kings and late silvers possibly and maybe find a big halibut or two in the kelp beds. Steelhead, dolly varden and silvers will be returning to the Anchor River. Deep Creek and Ninilchik River at that time, so you would have some bad weather options - just get up and get to the river at crack of dawn if you want to catch many silvers.
<br>Like Sitka Deer says most of the charter operators out of Seward are done for the year about Labor Day, which I believe has a lot to do with weather since there is little protected fishing area for halibut.
<br>Can't hardly believe that average fish is 22" out of Homer - when I fish "chickens" in Cook Inlet the average fish kept is probably in the low 30" range. But I have to admit, I see a lot of small fish being brought in at times by some of the bigger boats (especially the military rec boats in Seward).
<br>Unfortunately, I don't socialize much with charter operators so can't really point you to someone good who works in mid-September.
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rob
<br>Welcome aboard!
<br>
<br>Fish and game has copies available of all their creel census numbers and you need to get a copy the next time you drive by their office. You will be appalled, I think.
<br>
<br>I gave the average length number because it seems to be the most glaring. The same surveys are done in Kodiak and Seward, and you will see a big difference in the results...
<br>
<br>You are right about the other types of fishing available, and I actually prefer them to 'buts anyway ;-) The lack of protected water is a huge point at that time of year, as you pointed out. I suppose you run a 6-pack?
<br>best to you
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Pygmy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Rob and Sitka....Thanks for the good info...

IC B2

Rob Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Art, more like a 4 pack. I have a 22' C-Dory that I use. Best for 3 and maybe 4 fishermen. Guide anywhere from about 10 to 30 days a year depending on my regular work schedule. Was a fishing addict - turning it into work has helped me cure that addiction. Now I just have to deal with my hunting and shooting addiction, but not looking to cure it anytime soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rob
<br>I've spent many days on a 22' C-dory, have one in my back yard even. I have a 40' Uniflite in Kodiak. I like the deer charters the most, as the deer are what I personally enjoy the most.
<br>
<br>Roger on the cure! Some of the folks a fishing guide gets to put up with are really special!
<br>best to you
<br>art

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (2UP, 160user, 06hunter59, 264mag, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 24 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,783
Posts18,536,179
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.