Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hunting scope. 0-600 shots on steel. 0-450 on game.

Looking at the Conquest 4-14x44 with Target turrets, SF and mil reticle. I'd be inclined to take one of these over the Vortex PST's.

Heard good things about them and they seemed to be priced around 1k.

Any comments from folks who use this scope would be welcomed.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by jghoghunter
What would be a better choice over the 2 that are being ask about?

For that kind of money I would check out a March, best scopes I have seen but their warranty is not that great.

Was at an F class match a while back... state match, and one of the top shooters, if not the winner possibly, had a march since it was a "funded" gun... said it was fine but he would never pay money for it...
I have no experience... so just relaying what I heard from one of the top shooters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Given the choice the US Optic would be my choice

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
US optics over NXS. If you have not taken a look at trijicon you may want to check them out. I only have one and have no idea as to durability, but it is working well so far. Someone reviewed them or so I heard but have not checked it out. considering that mine is mounted in some home modified talleys to give me 20+ MOA of angle and still functions perfectly, I suspect they are pretty durable. Even if the clicks are not as positive as NXS still seems to be a great scope under a grand. I would say go with a zeiss Victory but the adjustments are not MOA. I could probably hook you up with one of the non illum victorys in your price range. You just missed the leica trade in deal, so did I. I meant to pick one up but got busy. I think one would have fit the bill pretty well for you and would have been in your price range with the trade in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with SF and Rapid Z800 no turrets. It's a really nice scope and on par optically with my Swaro Z3 and Kahles KX. It's not as good as my new Leica.

If I were you, I'd pick up one of the new Leica's from Doug with his promotion. Easily the best optically I've used. You can get it for $1600 or less. He is getting in some of the new models with the ASV turret this week. I spoke to him last week about it. The turret will retrofit as well so I'm gonna try and get one put on mine. I think you'd be real pleased. They have a 2.5-10 and 3.5-14 models.

Lee

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were you, I'd pick up one of the new Leica's from Doug with his promotion. Easily the best optically I've used. You can get it for $1600 or less.

For a little more money, you can get 4-16x50 30mm tube German Zeiss Victory Diavari FL with a turret from Doug. No way I would opt for a Leica over that Zeiss. It will hold it's value too! YMMV

This is from doug's demo list:
Z-Plex 20, Hunting ASV (Part#521777-9920) $1949.99, reduced from $2499.99

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love these threads. John M was just trying to choose between a NF and a USO.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I love these threads. John M was just trying to choose between a NF and a USO.

No need for anyone to pin themselves down to a choice of two great scopes, when we can really muddy the waters. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bahahahahah. We love spending money that isn't ours!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
everyone is praising the vortex, but the real question is how do they track. I have heard some detailed reviews and they didn't exactly pass the tracking test with flying colors. personally as long as the glass is decent and the tracking is spot on I am happy. but if the tracking isn't right the whole product is junk to me.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RifleDude
I think the Viper PST is at least as good as the NF.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh...................................ya, right.

John, I have, and very much like, the NF 2.5-10X32 NXS with the NP-1 reticle. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I took it outside at midnight a month ago, along with a 3-9 Trijicon. Cloudy, had some moonlight making things a little visible. At 75 yards, I could see the woodpile with the Trijicon. With the Nightforce, I could see the individual logs. Nice glass...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I were to choose a scope in the price point of USO, I'd be looking at a Premier or S&B. USO quality control is too much of a variable for that kind of money.

To answer your question, if it was b/t USO and Nightforce, I'd go Nightforce and spent the remainder on shooting.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Narrowed it down to the following:

1. S&B 2.5-10x40 Summit with Turrets....Over my $1600 budget frown

2. Nightforce 2.5-10x37 Mil dot...........$1295

3. Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44AO TT Mil dot....$850

If I went with a conquest I would have enough left over to grab a Mickey stock.

But...what about their tracking and durability??

They're 1K less than my Diavari for a reason. I wonder what they changed.

JM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Conquest....Conquest is 1" tube as opposed to 30mm on Dia. Tracking and durability will work well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well, John, may I throw another into the mix. I have a Z5 5-25X52 Swarovski for $1,299. According to the folks at Swarovski, with its new patented set up, it can handle the recoil of a 50BBMG.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
knowing your use helps a lot-- I've used that uso and the 24mm in 3 gun matches on ars and they both work well. The uso to me, is too large for a hunting scope, considering its probably going on a lighter type mt rifle. I shoot a 24mm on a custom 6mm for sheep (total wt. 6 1/2 lbs perfect proportion), and goats used mainly in the day time but prefer the npr2 reticle . Although thinner, in normal shooting its great, overcast and rain, the illuminated reticle does its job. Will not get into a long range hunting contest here, but head shots on IPSC targets at 500 yds are not a problem, either dial in 6 moa or use hold over. Then back to zero stop, (none of the other suggestions have one). Experience with conquests: had two 4.5x14s, first, an early model lost the reticle, second, lost the ao from a good whack, Not saying anything bad, just sayin.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by jghoghunter
What would be a better choice over the 2 that are being ask about?

For that kind of money I would check out a March, best scopes I have seen but their warranty is not that great.

Was at an F class match a while back... state match, and one of the top shooters, if not the winner possibly, had a march since it was a "funded" gun... said it was fine but he would never pay money for it...
I have no experience... so just relaying what I heard from one of the top shooters.

Was at an NBRSA match a while back... national match, and several of the top shooters, and the WINNER had a March...said it was awesome and he paid alot of money for it...got to try it out for a few hours after the match was over and thought it was incredible...so just relaying what I saw for myself from the TOP shooter.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[quote=JohnMoses]Narrowed it down to the following:

1. S&B 2.5-10x40 Summit with Turrets....Over my $1600 budget frown

2. Nightforce 2.5-10x37 Mil dot...........$1295

3. Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44AO TT Mil dot....$850

If I went with a conquest I would have enough left over to grab a Mickey stock.

But...what about their tracking and durability??

They're 1K less than my Diavari for a reason. I wonder what they changed.

JM

[/quote
Lens coating mainly, the conquest has a MC coating and the diavari has the T FL coating, it's a much better coating, tracking on both are great with the diavari being brighter in low light and alittle sharper. The 4.5-14x44 has 43MOA and the 4.5-14x50 has 68MOA. The rapid z reticle is one of the best on the market and I really like the sidefocus, helps as a rangefinder. You wont be disapointed with the zeiss for the money. If your going longrange then look at a MOA base but wont be needed with the rapid z reticle but the Z1000 is for a tacticle round(308). The 4.5-14 x44 or 50 has 3.5 ins. of consistant eyerelief. All zeiss scopes can handle 4x the recoil of a 460 weatherby (1500g's) and have a lifetime transferable warranty. I don't think you will be disapointed with the conquest. I have 11 and I'm not.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I ain't wasting money on a zero stop as 12 MOA will get me as far as I need to go.

That's a pricey solution for a problem I've never had. I'm sure it is a benefit to others though.

Prefer Mil-dot/MOA adjustments because that's what I'm used too and use in Hunter IBS. If I had to start over I'd go Mils/Mils.

Alot to think about and I appreciate the info on the scopes.

Thanks
JM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The March scopes I looked at all had 1/8 MOA clicks- that is a deal killer for me. IF it was a 1/4 MOA scope, I would certainly look that direction. The USO and Nightforce don't have glass as good as the S&B or the Premier but the price reflects this.

I would never put a USO on a hunting rifle! IF, I were going to spend more than $1000 on a hunting rifle scope, it would be a nightforce or IOR Valdada.

The Vortex PST is not as good in the glass dept as the Nightforce and they are NOT available! Still behind on deliveries. When it finally comes main-stream, it will be a great value scope.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.