Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The last three mulies I've shot with my .260 have been with 120gr TSX (2) and 120gr TTSX (1). All three went straight down.

GB1

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
You are right Swampman, a Core-Lokt is a great deer bullet. My brother shoots the 140's in his 7mm-08 and won't shoot anything else. I sure wish Remington would load the 120's in the .260 as I think that would be a grand bullet for deer.

Remington does or did load a 120 in the 260. It wasn't a core-lokt.

In my 260's it wasn't as accurate as the Federal 120.

I like the 120NBT and it puts them on the ground in short order.

Last edited by AJD; 03/08/11.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anybody tried the 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter? I stumbled into a pretty good deal on a couple hundred of them awhile ago, and they shoot really well in my 260. Anybody put one into a deer?

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've used lots of Pro Hunters in 25 caliber and they kill like lightning. I'm sure the 6.5's would do the same...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seafire,

Are you getting 3350 with a 100 grain pill out of a .260? I didn't know they could be loaded that quick. I bet a 100 grain ballistic tip at that speed through the ribs would be devastating.

Yeah,

I've taken several deer with that combo at 300 plus yards..
even at that distance, the 100 grain Ballistic tip left about 15lbs of blood shot meat on the oft side shoulder..

each deer was DRT, but I don't recommend that bullet on MVs over 2600 fps anymore...

I have about 300 Nosler 105 grain SMP partitions, that were factory seconds, from some Euro contract overrun...I use those at 3350 fps out of my Rugers.

work up, and I can only verify it being safe in my rifle, but it is not much more than some load data posted with this powder...my load is 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 over a large rifle primer and a 100 grainer seated out to touch the lands, or be magazine length...

a 100 grain Ballistic tip over 30 grains of RL 7 is also a darn good combo for ranges under 250 yds.. giving an Mv of 2600 fps...same with a 120 grain ballistic tip if hunting woods ranges, or where shots are under 250 yds...

addendum:

here the results of a 175lb Blacktail buck meeting a 100 grain Ballistic tip at 125 yds, that left the Muzzle at 3350 fps out of a Ruger 77 Mk 2..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Seafire; 03/08/11.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
That is pretty impressive Seafire. Did the 100 grain ballistic tips always provide an exit for you?

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I recall, a few years back, the NBT's had a speed limit around 3K. I never had a problem with bloodshot meat with the 120, but I always put em behind the shoulder.

I don't get the 130NAB in the 260class, IMO at the speeds they run (the 130) you don't need an accubond.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AJD- I used to be hung up on the 3000fps mark, now I avoid it and am much happier. It is completely unnecessary for my hunting- not knocking anyone else's idea of what they need. If I try the 120 NBT on deer they will not be driven with max loads and will certainly try to put some into pigs first. The 120 Sierra reviews I saw were less enthusiastic for deer. Sierra's have a rep for being soft and that is why I love a high sd 140 at modest speed, they open up well but stay together and penetrate -all without using a lot of powder. Elkchsr - Remington makes a 120 accutip with which I have shot perhaps my smallest one hole group ever. I had just put on the B and C stock for that Browning and fired three into a tiny single hole at 100 yds. I thought I completely missed and was emabarrassed because of folks watching me. when I pulled I returned with the target I had offers to buy that rifle right there. Probably happiest range day of my life. Still, just felt better using the 140 gamekings on deer.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kenjs1-
My first 260 (700 MR) liked the Rem 140CL best, go figure. At the time it was the only loaded ammo I could find on the shelves.

But, I liked the flatter trajectory, recoil level, and the sound of the crack of the shot, of the 120 more better and I have used the 120 since.....IMO a 120 and a 260 go together like bread and butter....... whistle

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used the 120 AccuTip factory load on a couple of deer. It performed very well. About 1.5" hole all the way through, exited.

Also, the most accurate load I've run in my 260s.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
my 264 likes 129 grain Hornaday's

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
those 129 Hornadys are like the benchmark bullet for this caliber aren't they. AJD- I like the idea of choosing a bullet based on the sound of the 'crack' it makes. LOL. I love an honest answer. I have favorites for odd reasons too. My A-bolts shoots 140's just about an inch so fine for deer -go figure as it has a slower 1-10" twist....but I like punching nicer groups in paper some times too. I think those Accutips are Hornady SST's.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJD
kenjs1-
My first 260 (700 MR) liked the Rem 140CL best, go figure. At the time it was the only loaded ammo I could find on the shelves.

But, I liked the flatter trajectory, recoil level, and the sound of the crack of the shot, of the 120 more better and I have used the 120 since.....IMO a 120 and a 260 go together like bread and butter....... whistle

My sentiments, exactly.

And if you think you need maximum penetration, simply load the 120gr TSX and get it.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I used the 120 AccuTip factory load on a couple of deer. It performed very well. About 1.5" hole all the way through, exited.

Also, the most accurate load I've run in my 260s.

have you chronographed those loads?

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That is pretty impressive Seafire. Did the 100 grain ballistic tips always provide an exit for you?

Not always...If you want an exit with a Ballistic Tip, you need to slow it down to about 2400 fps, MV...allowing it to open up less violently...

I haven't tried them, but the Accubond is as accurate as the Ballistic tip, with the penetration capability of the Partition... they make it in 130 grain and 140 grains...

I'd like to see a 110 grain Accubond myself...

The Barnes offering will also penetrate right thru..

point is that the recoil on the 260 is light enough, especially with 100 grainers, that I have always seen the bullet strike the deer thru the scope... its low enough that I don't loose site picture on 4 power, which is usually where I keep the Leupold set at ( 3 x 9 )

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire

I'd like to see a 110 grain Accubond myself...

I'm thinking that one would be a better getter!

The 130NAB are very accurate in my Ruger MKII 260.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I know a lot of folks like the 120 grn ballistic tips, but I've had such bad results with them in the .260, I simply have zero faith in them now, and refuse to use them ever again.

3 years ago, my wife and I gave them a try in the Kimber .260. Federal premium factory loads. Out of the 6 deer we shot with them,mostly does, only one fell short of 100 yrds from where it was shot.
Nearly all were broadside shots from 70-200 yards. Some were high shoulder, and a couple were just behind the dhoulder blade.
The BT also accounted for the ONLY deer I've lost in 40+ years of hunting, and several 100 deer killed.

I've since gone back to the 120 grn TSX. My wife and I have killed around 20+ deer with the .260 and 120 grn TSX, and it's worked perfectly every single time. We've had 100% complete pass thrus, out to 340 yards, which is the longest shot we have on our property. We've shot just about any angle you can think of, except the "Texas heart shot". Full facing, quartering away, broadside, it simply works, and does it's job to perfection.
Exits are usually about the size of a silver dollar, and the innards are usually mush.
Alot of it has to do with what you have confidence and faith in.
I KNOW, when I settle the cross hairs on a annimal with the TSX in the chamber, it's dead, and it ain't going anywhere. There's no need for me to look for anything different.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by santeerangerman; 03/09/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only rifle that I don't rely on TSX's in for deer and hogs is my Swede with 120Speer Hot-Cors... I've never recovered one and nothing went more than 5 steps... That bullet shoots good too...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As an aside, I was looking over Nosler's site and I see the speed limit on the BT's is now 3.2K which is higher than I remembered....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BrotherBart- those speers will likely be the next bullet I try. What rifle and what load are you using?

. Confucius
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,594
Posts18,473,485
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.