Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whatever you do, DO NOT wear blue jeans. It has been posted by one of the world's most famous hunter/shooter/reloader that it is impossible to kill BG while wearing blue jeans. laugh

Plus you'll freeze.

Aim for the exit hole.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have tried replacing wool as the outer layer--but still am with the Johnson hooded coat & coveralls for cold. Hoods are a must for me.

Am using whatever synthetics for the base layer, then fleece, then wool. If it raining hard enough I pull out a poncho and sit. If stillhunting in light rain I just go with a lighter wool coat.

Those Cabelas fleece parkas work great under the Johnson coat. The berber ones with wind shear aren't too noisy to be an underlayer. Pullover parkas trap heat really well. All that windproof & scentproof (ha!) stuff adds an insulation value.

I tried some of that waterproof wool and sent it back--weighed a pound more, was terribly noisy, & a thin wool shell...progress.

Defend the Constitution
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
For those temperatures, especially when on the move, I use mountaineering clothing, not much of Cabela's hunting clothing. Don't know about their base layers, but their fleece leaves lots to be desired. Plenty warm, but doesn't pass moisture well at all.
Typically I use Patagonia's Capliene, usually the Silkweight. When it's that cold, I layer a medium weight Capliene on top of the SW, and then a heavy pair of wool pants. Mine, both my heavy weight and my whipcords are Cabela's
For tops, I use Patagonia's Regulator Fleece. Warmer and lighter than wool and dries much faster than I can chill when used with their base layer.
At -20, it's at least one R2 top and one R4 (?), the one w/o any windstopper layer.
My lower legs are covered with their Gore-Tex Gaitors worn with the tops open unless I'm in deeper snow.
Head coverings are often two layered as well. A light fleece cap and a Cabela's Baclava. Often a pair of liner gloves and a heavier set of wool cover my hands.
If I need a shell, I use either a Patagonia Houdini for wind and snow or a Rain Shadow Parka for rain. I use no lower rain pants as a rule. Between the gaitors and the hip lenth hem of the RS parka, I stay dry enough.
Uninsulated Asolo light mountaineering boots with Dahlgren socks.
If I stop to sit and glass, then the shell is wrapped around my legs and I put on a Patagonis DAS parka. And sit on a foam pad as well.
I carry a pack for shed layers. In those temperatures, I'm looking at about 2800 ci plus to carry my gear. E

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I find that on warmer or active days, I like filson whipcords over long johns on the bottom. Up top I wear a woolrich cruiser jacket over long johns and thin fleece shirt. On wet days I subsitute a mt-50 goretex jacket for the wool and add an additional fleece layer.

For real cold or sitting in moderat cold, Isulated bibs and parka over as much insulation as needed to be warm.

Boots wise It takes three sets to really cover the range. For early season, or hunting the tops you will want a set of moderately insulated lace ups. for general use I wear a set of lacross insulated rubber (like alpha burleys) If you hunt staionary in the late season you will want something very warm. Currently I use rocky snow stalkers.

There is a good number of variations on added insulation, but I still use the old military field jacket liners. I have one with the arms cut off like vest and a second unmodified and a matching set of the pant liners. They are cheap, warm and don't retain water.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
ditto on the pak for layers

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The temperatures mentioned wasn't exactly "real", I was being facetious..

I see MAYBE, a few days a year with wind chill where it hits -10 or soo..our hunting season runs when weather isn't at it's worst.

I think I am going to stick with wool in the real cold or dry days, and pack my rain shell with me if it gets wet and rainy..

My other layers will remain the same.

Thanks for the input!

B8

MK
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My hunting outfit these days consists of Under Armor top and bottom as base layer, weight of which depends on the temperature. Next is a thermal knit henley and/or a Cabela's Micro-fleece henley. Fleece camo jacket, camo fleece balaclava and orange wool toboggan. Wool socks over polypro liner socks and insulated lace up leather boots. For wet weather I have a micro fleece breathable hooded parka, I always carry a poncho for occassions when it really pours. The poncho serves as a seat cushion/ground cloth/windbreak as needed. Lately I have been using a pop-up blind with a comfortable folding chair, I may give up 360 degree visibility but the protection from the elements is appreciated.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/05/11.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Come to think of it, my hunting clothes have remained basically the same for a long time. This is what works for me in the Adirondacks:
Coat; Cabelas outfitter fleece jacket>30F., Old Thermo King wool double Mackinaw(just like the filson)green plaid<30F.
Pants;Military BDU>30F.,Filson whipcords<30F., really cold weather I have several pairs of West German surplus very thick wool pants.
Underwear; I have used duofold 50%cotton,40%wool,10%nylon blend for years and love them-no complaints whatsoever.
Boots; Rocky Lynx 800gr.thinsulate,LLBean Maine Hunting Boots with gore tex and thinsulate, and Schnee Hunter II for the really cold conditions.
Mid Layer; Cabelas wool windstopper sweater,LL Bean wool fatigue sweater,Woolrich wool shirt-jac,Woolrich wool-fleece lined vest.
Hats; Stormy Kromer original most of the time, Stormy Kromer Rancher for sub zero.
Pack; I have the same old Cabelas whitetail day pack that I bought at least 15 years ago, I can keep extra clothes in there as needed. I usually keep a pair of gloves in there but rarely use them, and when I do its only on my left(non trigger finger)hand.
Socks; almost forgot socks, base layer of light polypropelene, heaviest wool socks I can find,regardless of temps. The best socks I have ever found were sold by cabelas called Norwegian Military socks, now they don't carry them. I think my second favorites are Cabelas Ultimate Hunting socks, or something like that, they come almost up to the knee and are very thick wool/polypropelene blend.
Thats what works for me.

MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay,

I traveled to Johnson, Vermont this weekend and tried on some Johnson woolen mills coats.

I think I like the Johnson better then the beagle coat I have access to.. Keep in mind, price is holding no bearing.. The beagle coat was $11 different in price on sale..big deal.

The beagle coat(on me..) felt physically heavier then the Johnson. Not only that..it was shorter and I felt like it would pull up my back without much movement. The beagle also didn't have a hood.. A must have.

So I think I'm considering the Johnson mackinaw, or the Filson double Mac.

Any suggestions/ experience?

Will the 100% wool of the Johnson/Filson be less water repellant?

I know none of it will be dry in a down pour, but would a mix of wool and other fibers be better?

Thanks,

B8

MK
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I second the opinion on the silk wildrag for your neck. I have a Filson vest(wool) that I wear daily and it really is warm. I use a Beaglewear coat when deer and rabbit hunting and have been happy with it. I hunt with a handgun and like the zip up side of the jacket so my gun isn't covered by my jacket. I also have a King of the Mountain wool jac-shirt. Actually use the vest and KOM jacket when riding(horse) in the winter and it really keeps me warm considering I'm not the one doing the walking. Fleece long underwear, wool pants, and tincloth chaps for snow/rain repellency. Wool socks with a liner and Schnee pac-boots. Just my two cents.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Big8,

I have used Johnson's here in Maine since I was a kid. In fact, we used to use Filson doubles but I have not had to wear mine in years. I usually wear a wicking under layer followed by a zip T in polypro followed by a Pendleton wool shirt. If not too cold then the Johnson. If cold then I wear an LLBean fleece with a windbreaker layer in it under the Johnson.

For pants I have Johnson thin weight wools with long underwear or no depending upon temps and if real cold I have Johnson bibs.

I haven't come to a conclusion for wet yet though I think this year I'm going to go with the HH Impertech and for duck hunting in rain I'll go with the PVC bibs and coat from Cabela's.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Big8 saw your post in the BP hunting forum, not that the advice here is bad or wrong but lots of guys with lots of knowledge over there. My system has evolved from Duofold cotton waffle long johns to many modern synthetic wicking base layers, fleece, wool,...

This past year I tried merino wool for a base layer and liked it if for no other reason than the stink factor. The wool doesn't get as stinky as fast as Patagonia's Capilene. If I can smell myself I'm sure the deer can.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
rivers west merino long under wear light weight but very warm

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Polypro long johns and shirt or silk depending on the temp, fleece and then wool, love my wool pants and sweaters. Cabelas Goretex parka (polypro liner when its realy cold) and bibs. Wool blocks the wind and keeps me warm even when wet. Wool socks and skull cap and fleece balacavas layered according to temp. Wool trigger finger shooting mitts with a gortex overmitt and heat packs, Muck boot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Merino wool base layer. The fleece and or wool for outer layer.

Some really good fleece being made these days. Light weight and good warmth to weight ratio.

Silk scarf for neck as mentioned is very good addition

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
i too grew up wearing wool for hunting - sucking up water and freezing is one of its traits.
Now I usually layer
Base layer: underarmor - 2 layers short sleeve inder long sleeve. poly long johns
Miidlayer: wool shirt
Next Layer: fleece vest or underarmor insulated jacket
top layer: light cabelas fleece rain suit - it's packable and waterproof:
put a blaze vest over everything.
I can remove and stuff in my pack any of the outer layers and throw the blaze vest back on.
Fairly light, mobile and dry.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sitka gear. It's extremely warm for how thin it is. Watch camofire.com and it'll be some deals on there for it.. Forgot...Throw on some under armour on under it with a regular long sleeve shirt and pants and get to hunting...

Last edited by summitsitter; 03/12/11.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't read all the posts.

So far for the wife and I, we have settled on a base layer of silk. Top that off with merino wool. Then if we need an extra layer of insulation or so we follow with fleece. We always carry real rain gear, goretex and the like just will not cut it in the end and we can layer that rain gear exterior or interior depending. Marmot Precip currently but may be trying Impertech also. If going on a wet hunt then HH standard rubber gear is the only thing I trust...

If it takes more than silk, wool and a layer of fleece, with nylon fishing pants over, we move to either insulated bibs with the same under layers or an exterior of wool depending on the situation. If survival is a possible issue I pick the wool every time though

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Big8
Alright,

I have spent many years wearing misc. clothes from cabelas and such that have been bulky, over weight, or (not so water proof), and in-effective to say the least..

I am looking to layer, but I would like to layer in a way where I am not walking around restricted and bulked up.

The following is what I was thinking...offer any suggestions, as they are glady accepted...

The following will be worn from temps 30 to -30F

I am thinking a light, water proof/windproof outter shell...possibly thin and packable(obviously not going to insulate much, but will keep some heat in, and wind/water, out). I was considering the Helly Hansen Impertech bibs and jacket for this.

For my next layer(working from outside to inside)I will wear my light wool pants that I have worn for years. If the conditions aren't wet these will be more then enough for outside use. I will wear my lightly insulate wool shirt/coat for my upper body.

My next layer will be my fleece coat/pants or a like type of clothing(any suggestions)?

And my base layer will be my Helly Hansen base layer, half zip and pants...

Thanks for any help--winter boredom has set in(not much left!) and I am already, ready to get back out there!

B8

Silk, then underarmor-type poly insulation. REI/EMS market some GOOD stuff. Over that, wool. Merino turtleneck, then a wool sweater (U.S. issue "woolly pully" works great).

Over that, a waterproof shell with removeable lining for additional insulation when necessary.

GREAT socks (SmartWool rocks), and two pairs.

Cover your neck, your head, and your wrists.

Hunted VT and the 'dacks for 8 seasons. ('98-'06)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,546
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.