Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Even Vac's from vets are not 100% unfortunately. I have seen this before via grooming clients, dogs still contract Distemper/Parvo. Have also seen the vacs themselves kill dogs (Vaccine induced Hemalytic Anemia), all we can do is the best we can to keep our pets healthy.
I was just wondering if he vac'd while pups were nursing, it negates the vaccine (won't over-ride moms titers). Therefore, if mom got a virus, the pups would also. Meaning if he vacc'd at 6 weeks, let them nurse to 7, then they got sick at 8 weeks....they were not actually "covered" by the vaccine. Truely don't know as I don't know the exact details, just throwing it out there.

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
GB1

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Zodiakgsps.........I don't really know just how he went about giving those pups, mother and the other house dog the Vac's!

I do know that I myself would have done things differently and that I would have gotten the actual cause of death from the Vet Hospital I use.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
100% agree Tonk, I don't mess with sick babies!!

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I asked my vet about this describing that the whole litter & breed female died, first thing he said was it sounds like something they ate, this before I even mentioned dog food & that another dog died that ate the same food. He said usually an illness, virus, doesn't kill all of them, usually one or some will survive an illness.

So Tonk do you still feed multiple feeds & have you always even before the Diamond posioning?

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My experience with factory made dog food years ago, caused me a lot of concern when others long ago had problems in their kennels or pack of hounds etc.

So I decided that is was far better for the dogs I raise to be feed several types of good dog food, instead of just one type of dog food. I have not regretted doing so over the years. Yes, it takes a little more time to feed that way but it does have a plus side to one's efforts.

The purchase of a well bred puppy no matter what the breed, is the cheapest part of owning a good bird dog in my opinion. The food you spend your money on to raise that pup up to be a 2yr old and the money laid down for training put into that dog starts to add up to a good piece of change by the time one is finished. So now you have a $3000 dollar or more investment! I personally believe feeding several good dog foods is a very cheap insurance policy period.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your feedingt several diffeerent foods is interestiing & certainly one worth Merit / consideration. Until the poisioning of recent I had just never thought about it, though I have changed several qualty brand in the past. Ukenueba puppy to Iams to Purina pro plan with my first dog Sig, all for various reasons. HAve settled on Purina Pro Plan puppy with Raider, He is almost 1 year old now ai will be switching to adult when puppy runs out.

If you dont mind, i would like your thoghts on your mixtue. If you dont want to post please pm to me.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Siggy-32, I raise all our puppies on a mixture of Purina Pro-Plan Chicken Puppy/ Black-Gold and Hunters Performance. I been doing so for several years now and my pups put on weight fast and look real good through the stages up to 12 months.

I personally am beginning to believe the other breeder got a hold of some bad dog food but I can not confirm that thought ok.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I don't have to worry about bad dog food....I feed mostly raw!!
What kibble they get is Taste of the Wild, a grain free. I feed enough kibble to keep them used to it for travelling, easier to take when I am at 2-3 day field trials or shows.

"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tonk, thanks, do I dare presume once over a year to switch the Pro Plan chicken puppy to adult Pro Plan chicken?

Zodiakgsps, I have heard some about Raw, there was one gal who had a Drahthaar who said his eyes should be slanted with all the rice & vegetables she fed him. He was a very calm dog, which she claimed was the food vs. processed Bagged dog food. I suspect yours is more meat then what she talked about.

- Benjamin Franklin
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Siggy32, yes, mine get primarily meat. Beef heart, chicken necks,green tripe, I bring home all the scrap & blood-shot meat from the deer processors I work at in the fall also & large meaty knuckle bones -they have great teeth. They get an organ mix as well, this is combined with some oatmeal.
I do give some fruit & veggies....but mostly it is snacks or what they steal from the garden, they love frozen carrots for a treat in the summer.(I do give bananas)

"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Tonk

Well my question to All of You is this: Now have any of you folks heard of a NEW VIRUS going around that kills puppies or bitches with puppies???

[b]Short answer is YES. It is a new strain of Parvo which when tested for parvo may come back negative.[/b]
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68412

Last edited by LostHighway; 03/26/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good info there, thanks for the heads up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,768
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.