Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5042636 03/14/11
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well last night I packed up the 2 new varmint rifles that have not been sighted in as of yet. Weather man said a little rain for this morning and I woke up at 7 o'clock to almost 2 inches of snow, with it still sleeting and wind blowing 12 miles per hour. This really sucks on my day off!!!

I guess Saint Pats Day will have to get the call for the range! We will be checking out some of those Berger bullets too.

Last edited by Tonk; 03/14/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tonk: I have had a tough time with the weather and getting to my ranges for many weeks now - the wind and bitter cold has just been the pits this winter for shooting.
Good luck on your next scheduled day.
What calibers are your two Varminters and which weight Bergers will you be trying in them?
Best of luck on the testing as well.
Let us know how it goes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Varmint Guy, I hear you on the weather loud n clear! Well yesterday was going to be my range day but it rained, sleeted and snowed all friggin day mind you. We got over 2.5 inches of rain (all day washer) yesterday and 4.5 inches last week.

My German Shorthair Pointers were on strike this morning! Yep, something about they are not DUCKS~~~even though they are quackinhg about this weather also.

My varmint rifles are Savages in model 12, a .204-Ruger, .223 Remington and 22-250 caliber. I also have a Ruger in bull barrel 25-06 for reaching way out there.

The wife has a Savage 204, .223 Rem. and a .243 cal for reaching past 300 yards. I hope to start working up loads for these rifles in the next 2 weeks. I have located most of my bullets in Hornady V-Max and already have some Sierra bulltes fort the 22-250 and the 25-06 purchased a few years ago.

Last edited by Tonk; 03/15/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tonk: You are wise in many respects to shoot those savage Rifles!
They do indeed shoot well.
I have shot alongside many of them over the past 3 decades.
I just wish I could warm up to them on a looks and feel level.
Late last fall I brought on line a Ruger 77 V/T in caliber 25/06 Remington - it feels great and shoots rather well with Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tips!
I killed an excellent Buck Antelope with it last October and a long distance Coyote (about 400 yards - didn't have time to range him).
It snowed here yesterday (March 16th) starting at NOON and continuing til after dark!
The ground had warmed so only about 1" accumulated.
I was headed east from Miles City, Montana with my brand new Rifle in caliber 204 Ruger the year that the 204 Ruger came out (the summer of 2,004 IIRC).
And about 13 miles east of Miles City on state highway 12 I came to one of my all time favorite roads - the Mizpah Cutoff road to Ekalaka!
I took the turn off just at sunrise and by the time I had crossed O'Fallon Creek (about 45 miles later) I had killed 4 Coyotes and a big Boar Badger with that brand new 204!
One of those Coyotes was out there - just in excess of 400 yards distant!
I was shaking by the time I came to my destination (a remote Prairie Dog Town) - I mean I had simply fallen in love with the performance of the brand new 204 Ruger and had done so in a most unexpected way!
Here I was on a Prairie Dog Hunt and I had discovered one of the finest Predator rounds to ever come down the pike!
I mean I held on fur and stuff just died (DRT!)!
My point is - don't sell the 204 Ruger short for longer distance shooting!
Best of luck when you get some range time!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Partly sunny, highs in the mid 50s, SE winds 10 to 15. Bullets loaded for the 223, 22.250,Swift, and 243. Its Range day again. smile

Swifty

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoy the day.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by like2shoot
Enjoy the day.

Really did enjoy the day, gonna try and do it again today.
Things didnt work as well for my newest member, 223, wanted a 222 but couldnt find one I liked.

[Linked Image]

I also took out the old dog, I gots about 7500 rounds down the tube, and on some days it still out shoots my high dollar guns 243 with a 12 twist. Old Ruger tang safety

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Also took out my yote gun, this one did give me a first, I had hard extraction with a 55 gr BT load. Never thought I would see the day when a 22.250 caused a #1 to hard extract.
[Linked Image]

And last but not least, I also had my Swift. Shot like a champ as usual, although I did open it up to under a half inch a couple of times from not watching my flag close enough. Otherwise it was 5 shots around .2.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All in all a good day, spent 6 or 7 hours shooting rifles and shooting the Chit with other shooters. Doesnt get much better.

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swifty, a day well spent.

It did my heart good to see that old tang safety Ruger. I have one in 22/250 bought in 1974. It is on it's third barrel.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Swifty I too love it a bunch when the plan comes together!
The other day I took a young man who lives down the road from me to the range to shoot a bunch of rounds through the new Savage model 93 .22mag rifles and I zeroed in the Ruger 77 in 25-06 and the model 12 Savage in the .204-Ruger caliber.

It was a great day, we had the whole rifle range to ourselves. Only a couple of guys shooting pistols over on the next range. Our rifles shot very good groups and I was a happy camper. My young friend is trying to get ready for the US Army in Sept. we have a lot of training to get down in the next 5 months. It was indeed a great day for shooters!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (BALLISTIK, Akhutr, batch, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,143
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.