Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
OP Offline
P
If it was built in 1930 as " I think" the serial # suggests then it is probably very lightly used. My father was born in 1930 and his father died in 1936 so he could not have used it much. My father never used it as far as I know and my uncle might have used it for 10 years or so. I used it for 2 seasons and basically only shot rounds through it to sight it in. Never shot a deer although I saw a couple. LOL. As someone pointed out I am not a hunter.

Unless this is worth a lot more than I think I am leaning toward returning it to original condition(remove the peep sight and try to get an original rear sight), getting an authentication letter and hanging it on the wall. As many have pointed out I could never replace it.

Appreciate any help along the lines of that and rough value.
Thanks

GB1

P
OP Offline
P
Calhoun, you are right about the numbers. Guess I shoulda picked up on that.

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and easily the gun cleaned up. I guess I was disappointed that I let it get that way in the first place.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thats a beauty of an "F" for sure, it would make a nice heirloom ! Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could see it fetch $1000 on GB...but you really never know with an auction.

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pparker,

Unless you need money to pay the rent, hang on to it and put up on the wall. It don't eat much.

That is a real nice F.

I don't know where you live but if you wanted to hunt groundhogs, a 30-30 works real well. Low impact hunting too. Just taking the rifle for a walk.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats a nice rifle. With lots of condition.
What ever became of the original rear sight?

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM Sent. Check the flashing envelop by the "my stuff" icon.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a nice gun! I'd love to buy it from you, but as others have stated, you should really consider hanging on to that. I'm guessing $1000-$1200 right now, but if past performance is any indication, you'd be hard pressed to find an investment that would offer a better return than a quality antique Savage; even if you aren't a "gun guy".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should you change he sight back to the original, I would be interested in purchasing the Lyman Receiver sight. Thank You!

P
OP Offline
P
I took the gun to a gunsmith(30 years ago) and had the rear sight replaced with the peep sight. Obviously kicking myself for not asking for the part back. Looking at the gun from a historic perspective I think original condition would be better. Anyone have any info on what the original rear sight was or where I might find one.

IC B3

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Parker 1213
Personally I would leave the rifle as it was given to you tang sight and all. As pointed out once it is gone it is gone. Wondering what other guns your father handed down if he was a savage guy should be high quality.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lauren
Here is a start not many are less than 500, not many are more than 1000.

$1000? Lauren, are you feeling OK? laugh

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm feelin OK looking at that gun. way better than average.

P
OP Offline
P
Could someone explain what a Model "F" means? Is it related to the year of manufacture or the makeup of the gun or something else. Is the Savage Historian still in business. I have found the address in another post here and am considering getting a letter from him

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by lovemy99
if its a 30-30 G, they are not a common gun.

XLTFX4, T/D 99s can be tightened, there is a post on doing it in the misc good info thread that is stickied in this forum.

Hey Drew, thanks for mentioning the post about TD barrel tightening. It's unfortunate that there was no provision for adjustment like other systems but it sounds like the method works.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Means Featherweight takedown. Model E was the same rifle but solid frame.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice looking rifle. I agree with gnoahhh's assessment of "stuff". My heirs are going to have one heck of an auction someday as none are likely to share all my interests.

Your rifle has family providence that you may or may not appreciate. Future family members might love to own such a heirloom, and remember through it those who preserved the heritage. If you have no immediate pressing need for the cash I would suggest keeping the rifle. Value is not likely to go down and it "does not eat much". Would really look cool and generate conversation hanging in a recreation room.

Regulars here should be able to help you with IDing the proper sight. Some might even have one that would work. "lightfoot" comes to mind. Looks fine to me just the way it is.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you to all who replied. At this point I have decided to keep it as many of you have reminded me of the times I have sold something and later regretted it(like my 66 mustang). The money is now gone and I can't replace the car.

Appreciate the help.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hah! Now you're talking! I too sold a Mustang long, long ago. A '65 Fastback 289 4-speed. Used the money to buy my first Austin-Healey, and never regretted it for a minute. Mustangs were/are highly over rated, compared to European sports cars, and deserved to be sold!! grin grin If I had a choice over the Muskrat, the Healey, or the equivelant in Savage rifles, God help me but I would take the Healey.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hah! Now you're talking! I too sold a Mustang long, long ago. A '65 Fastback 289 4-speed. Used the money to buy my first Austin-Healey, and never regretted it for a minute. Mustangs were/are highly over rated, compared to European sports cars, and deserved to be sold!! grin grin If I had a choice over the Muskrat, the Healey, or the equivelant in Savage rifles, God help me but I would take the Healey.

I have always regretted selling my '67 Healey 3000; drove it for 3 years in Germany/Italy when stationed there, and for some years in the states. You could do a major repair on the side of the road and drive it away (If you had extra Lucas electrical parts in the trunk!). Stupid thing to sell. Oh, well. Still, I'd love to have my grand-dad's 1899 which he got from his uncle who got it from his brother in Colorado. My cousin has it now.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, akpls, 11 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,562
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.