Print Thread
Hop To
M
MP40 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Does anyone here know the production numbers and such about these great rifles? I have several and I would sure like to know what the production of the left-handed rifles was. I have # 00XL and am wondering??? Any help would be appreciated.
Aloha, Mark

When fear of death is no longer a big deal~~~ the "Rules of War" change dramatically!
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
MP-40,

I had a .270 and traded it for an Alaskan in .338-284. Great rifles. I don't know of any info on dates of mfg per serial number. 00XL almost sounds like an experimental series. Not sure.

Why don't you post pictures of your guns. I would love to see them.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here is a picture of my Alpha Alaskan in .338-284. This may have been an offered caliber. I have an Alpha catalog and need to look that up. It now wears a Zeiss Conquest in Warne QD rings. I read that they used Douglas Supreme barrels. Unique design, the bolt lugs locking into a barrel extension. With the company out of business, there's no way one could re-barrel one of these. This one shoots under 1/2" with select loads and I doubt I'll wear the barrel out in my lifetime.

DF

[Linked Image]

M
MP40 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I don`t know if this will work but here is picture of "Lefty" Alpha # 001L
I don`t know how to post pictures!!!

When fear of death is no longer a big deal~~~ the "Rules of War" change dramatically!
djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Unique design, the bolt lugs locking into a barrel extension. With the company out of business, there's no way one could re-barrel one of these.

Maybe the Alpha 1 was different than yours, but mine wasn't hard to re-barrel at all. The barrel is threaded like any normal barrel. The 3 bolt lugs lock into a piece that looks like it is also threaded, and turned in ahead of the barrel...but the barrel on mine definitely didn't have an extension for the locking lugs.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
dipepper, thanks for that info. I had read about the barrel extension and wondered why it was done like that. I looked at mine and had myself convinced that was the case. Glad to hear you could re-barrel yours. I'm going to re-examine mine, although I have no need to re-barrel. I'm not sure if there were different versions of the Alpha design and am not sure why one would want to machine a barrel extension to receive the bolt lugs.

The Alpha has some unique features, such as pillared stock with the action screws, one before and one behind the mag box. As you know, the trigger mechanism "floats" behind the rear action screw. The guns are very well made and shoot great.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by djpepper
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Unique design, the bolt lugs locking into a barrel extension. With the company out of business, there's no way one could re-barrel one of these.

The barrel is threaded like any normal barrel. The 3 bolt lugs lock into a piece that looks like it is also threaded, and turned in ahead of the barrel...

I've thought some more about your observations on the "barrel extension" and can see why a writer would have made that statement based on observation. Evidently the threaded piece that receives the lugs was for manufacturing reasons so that the receiver tube wouldn't have to be machined, just threaded. I'm glad to hear that it's not all one piece with the barrel, but a separate part. That makes a lot more sense than what I had read. Otherwise, it would be no way to ever re-barrel one of these rifles and that would be pretty dumb...

Thanks for the clarification.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 31 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,021
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.