Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a chance to pick up a ruger 44 carbine,pretty reasonable.
Worth having,or no?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably depends on what you intend to do with it. Good cartridge with 300 grain bullets in my opinion but my own .44 rifle is a bolt gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, probably.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
remember when it first came out and they had the ads with the guy who shot a gorilla with one? can you imagine the screaming if you tried that now?

never owned one, but had a buddy who had one of the old ones and liked it for woods deer in La. They completely redesigned it when it was reintroduced and I've not had any experience with them. always thought they were cool.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I would love to find one of the older ones at a deal!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"I would love to find one of the older ones at a deal!"

Is that the ones with the tube magazine instead of the rotary clip?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Super Fun Gun, Especially when you shoot Jack Rabbits with Hollowpoints.

My Dad has one, handy little close up Deer Gun, (again great for Jacks) and he killed a Mountain Lion with it a few years back. Great Little Carbine IMHO.

Its a fun one to have in the collection.

Last edited by sierrabravo45; 03/16/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy
"I would love to find one of the older ones at a deal!"

Is that the ones with the tube magazine instead of the rotary clip?

That would be correct.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had two of the old ones. I thought they were great rifles for what they were designed for. I had a 2.5 power scope on the first one and a Williams FP receiver sight on the last.

Less than 100 yards they are good for deer sized animals and I never pushed them to do anything else. I never came across any gorillas while I had it with me so I can't speak to that... Most of the places I hunt deer, 35 to 40 yards would be the normal shot and 100 yards would be a very long shot. I always shot factory jacketed bullets in them and had no problems. The 44mg in a rifle has worked well for me on deer.

It is not a target rifle, but it would do 2.5 to 3 inches at 100 yards without much trouble. That was all I needed.

If I came across one of the old ones in good shape for a fair price I would not hesitate to jump on it.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got one, then learned that you cannot shoot lead in them, due to the gas port gumming up. Anyone else hear that? No matter, I sold it, 4 round capacity aint enough! wink

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ive got one and I enjoy it. Im a hound hunter and they work good at bear and mnt lion trees. Mine has lived under the seat of my dog truck for the last ten years and it always goes off when it occasionally gets the call. Not hugely accurate but plenty good for its purpose. I have a 4x Leupold on it and the whole unit works good for kids to shoot, its short and has little recoil. It will darn sure dump a bear outta a tree.

Billy

Last edited by Chaser; 03/16/11.

Turn em loose ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Probably depends on what you intend to do with it. Good cartridge with 300 grain bullets in my opinion but my own .44 rifle is a bolt gun.

I bought one 15 years ago. Had it re-blued and mounted a Nikon 1.5x4.5 Monarch in the original Weaver pivot rings (anyone remember those?).

These guns have a 1/38 twist barrel and mine won't stabilize 300 grain bullets past about 50 yards. For a heavy load I use a 270 grain Gold Dot softpoint over 21.5 grains of H110. It's not a target gun, but I know for a fact it'll shoot minute of bear or deer. It's a fun, handy little carbine that I have no intention of letting go of.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Father in Law had one years ago and loved it. he regrets selling it. Shot deer with it at woods ranges.

Salmonhead
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone should have a 44 carbine. One of the most fun guns I've ever owned.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
About thirty years ago we had a friend who did a lot of hound hunting. If you had a tag, he would tree a bear for you to shoot.

Then he would put two or three into the skull as the bear hit the ground to make sure it did not hurt his dogs. He carried a nine shot 22 mag revolver.

My Dad and Mr. hound man were out one day, hunting on hound guy's tag. The dogs picked up a scent, but the bear did not tree. Mr. hound man waded into the scrap, and fired five rounds into a mean old skinny boar black bear with no effect, and then the hammer fell on an empty chamber. He had forgotten to do a tactical reload after the last bear encounter.

Well, after a quick retreat while his four dogs fought valiantly with the old bear, the revolver was reloaded and the bear was dispatched with only minimal damage done to the dogs.

The next time we saw Mr. hound man he was carrying a shiny new Ruger 44 mag carbine. I never knew what ammo he used, but I was mightily impressed by an expanded slug we removed from a bear carcass. It was a perfect mushroom and larger than a 25 cent piece in diameter.

It was definitely a DRT machine on black bear.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Its one with a tube magazine. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fluffy
Its one with a tube magazine. smile

had one for awhile, very fun gun but i didnt have alot of use for it and sold it to a member here a few years ago......my brother was pissed when he found out.....hadnt realized how much he liked the gun.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Marlin 44 mag lever gun. I know it is not a ruger, but still a carbine by definition. Shoots oversized cast great and factory jackets OK. Everyone should have a 44 mag carbine of some sort- a hoot to shoot!

Hemi

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a high school buddy who had one, swore by it!

He used to swap 'woods shooting duties' with a .35Rem M336. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a brand spankin' new one from Fred Baker Firearms in Oklahoma City when I turned 18...that was in '79. It was a cool gun. Well made, solid, functioned well, fun. Sadly, it was stolen from me in Tyler, Texas back in 1990. Wish I had it still.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 22 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.