Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Brad
Downsized. Less guns, more hunting. I think the Canadian who bought it is going to do it proud..

Why don't you hunt with a cheap Remington ADL rifle with a tasco scope since you walk down trails and shoot average animals? That's all you need....

More chitty animals taken backpacking...

[Linked Image]

Finding an elk in Montana must be tough. Are their any hunters in Montana who doesn't have a ton of elk pics? Lets see some big ones.. B&C size.

Size obviously matters to you Calvin... you're obviously compensating for a lack of it... this thread has proven that beyond a doubt.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hell, even my son uses a cane and could likely out-walk your lard azz.

[Linked Image]

You ever leave the trail?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Downsized. Less guns, more hunting. I think the Canadian who bought it is going to do it proud..

Why don't you hunt with a cheap Remington ADL rifle with a tasco scope since you walk down trails and shoot average animals? That's all you need....

More chitty animals taken backpacking...

[Linked Image]

Finding an elk in Montana must be tough. Are their any hunters in Montana who doesn't have a ton of elk pics? Lets see some big ones.. B&C size.

Size obviously matters to you Calvin... you're obviously compensating for a lack of it... this thread has proven that beyond a doubt.

So all dinks? Ouch! Even my fat ass can kill B&C animals.

Really curious though..

You the rifle expert
You can hike people under the table..

Why can't you find big animals? Doesn't make sense...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every animal in this thread was taken no where near a trail.

Hard to grasp...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's what backpacking in the highcountry with no trail looks like...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yet you can't find a big animal. Amazing. Must be all those 20" bears you are passing up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

So all dinks? Ouch! Even my fat ass can kill B&C animals.

Really curious though..

You the rifle expert
You can hike people under the table..

Why can't you find big animals? Doesn't make sense...

Funny about kids, everything is a competition...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Seriously though.. Is it a lack of hunting skill?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lack of motivation?

Wrong rifle...(gasp)

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do you ever consider changing things up a bit to get on the scoreboard? New game plan? Perhaps ding a rifle up a bit to get into the good stuff? A little blood, sweat, and tears to get that name into the book?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good night Calvin.

I truly hope you find some happiness in your life... what you have is sort of sad.

I've been married going on 26 years, have two wonderful, well-adjusted kids, enjoy great health and prosperity and live in a land where I can backpack, hunt and climb to my heart's content. Really, I'm darned blessed and I hope you can find 1/10th the joy I have in my life... from what I've observed of you on this forum you're miserable and empty and I'm sorry for that...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't know what I'd do if I were 50 and I still hadn't connected the dots to kill big animals, in Montana of all places. I've seen what some of those Montana hunters kill, on a yearly basis. Huge, just huge animals. Perhaps you should gain some weight and slow down and glass more....(grin)

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Wow...this was an excellent exchange for sure.

Brad calling out Calvin for making it a "big weiner" contest and then subsequently calling Calvin fat and unable to keep up with him.

Calvin calling out Brad for the lack of size of the animals (elk) he's shooting...even though any elk hunter I've ever met would LOVE to hang their tags on most of those bulls.

Brad saying he's passing on black bears with heads the size of beach balls.

Calvin calling out Brad for not leaving the trail.

BOTH of them nibbling at the edges of an unseemly discussion about kids.

This thing had more twists and turns than an episode of All My Children, and certainly trumped the crappy TV show I was half watching.

Last edited by iddave; 03/16/11.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Calbro, since you're so into killin' you need to take your happy a$$ over to the Stan, there's a shortage of killin' over there. Might help you vent a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder which poor bastard scooped up all them cheap, beat up old Ti Remingtons? wink

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Shrimp first, starting mid April. Hit that hard and plug a few freezer shelves until late may. Then to the PWS fringes for kings and butts. I stumbled into a trove of half price tomics in a huge array of colors - bought a couple dozen and plan to weed out the riffraff. This will be a big plug year. June is a busy month at the entrances. July move the operation to Seward but try to find packs of feeders like a couple we found last summer.

Originally Posted by Vek
So what's the specific issue with it being too light?

Is your concern with something shooting easy for load development and sighting in?

Is it more difficult to shoot the WSM kimber accurately from field holds than the -08 based kimbers? How could that be, if the WSMs are heavier?

You'll have to send out a newsflash to all the happy Kimber WSM owners about your findings. I'm sure they'd love to know how the barrels are too light! Shaking my head.

News Flash, I've owned/hunted 4 Kimber MT WSM's, 270 and 300 versions... I think the barrel is too light for that much power. Works well enough, but not ideal IMO. Bit too much torque for so much power.

Not hard to figure out over the 6 years I've used them...

If I remember, Brad had a problem with chronically scoping himself with his 300wsm. So... it must be the barrel.

That being said, you ready for some kings? I've got my boat all rigged up and splashed it this morning. Hit the water this morning but couldn't scrape up any kings. At $8.75 a pound, I'll keep at it though..

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iddave
Wow...this was an excellent exchange for sure.

Brad calling out Calvin for making it a "big weiner" contest and then subsequently calling Calvin fat and unable to keep up with him.

Calvin calling out Brad for the lack of size of the animals (elk) he's shooting...even though any elk hunter I've ever met would LOVE to hang their tags on most of those bulls.

Yes it has been entertaining....wondering out loud how many elk each of the participants has killed? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What is tragic is that Cal and Brad are way more alike than different.
Both seem to keep their families close. They both seek to pass on the tradition of hunting. They are less into horns than meat and they love the country that they live in.

I think that the internet and forums like this sometimes muddy the waters. I think those elk that Brad shot are awesome. I wouldn't want to live in Montana but that is my choice. Calvin that big blacktail is a hawg. I think that most people are happy for both of you.

Maybe someday I will get to go down and hunt some whitetails on my mother's farm in Rock County, MN. I would like to think that I would figure out a way to do that unlimited big horn hunt. I sure would like to hit up all those Montana folk.
I am afraid that the rich snobs that are ruining stuff for them are going to make their way up here. We are talking the Hanoi Jane types.

I bet that most Kimbers do very well. Heck the Winchester EW at 8 lbs set up is a relative lightweight compared to the large ring Mausers and Model 54s that they used to hunt with in the past. We are truly lucky.

I have looked at them. The one 84 M Montana that they had around here needed to be recrowned but it had a fantastic trigger. The Kimbers never seem to hang around here for long.
You don't see them for sale used either.

Best,
Thomas

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vek
Shrimp first, starting mid April. Hit that hard and plug a few freezer shelves until late may. Then to the PWS fringes for kings and butts. I stumbled into a trove of half price tomics in a huge array of colors - bought a couple dozen and plan to weed out the riffraff. This will be a big plug year. June is a busy month at the entrances. July move the operation to Seward but try to find packs of feeders like a couple we found last summer.

Best post on this thread.

Personally, I like my Kimbers. Didn't someone around here say "I only have to keep myself happy?"

Smart man............

Calvin, good on you for taking care of foster kids in the first place, and taking 'em hunting too. They are blessed, as are you.

Brad, nice bull, you always seem to have annual photos of nice bulls, DIY on public land, and that's no accident.

I can't see a good reason anybody'd make an issue out of either.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Tag Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Ya so back to the original question...........I'm thinking the Kimber .300 WSM.

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.