-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So how much do you think teacher's should be paid?

I'll speak from a Wisconsinite's point of view.

It was, and should will once again, be up to the Independent School Districts, that comprise K-12 in the state. Since 1959 (when public unions gained collective bargaining power) that authority has been slowly, incessantly wrestled away from local boards -- taken! -- and put in the hands of the state, and the public-sector unions. To the point that a schoolboard member was nothing more than a required signature to a list of contracts, mandates, laws, and by-laws.

All that carnage, just to buy votes - and it's been at one hell of price. Just look at the failure rate of students in public schools.
It's never been about education.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The "conservative sheeple" are no different than the "liberal sheeple". They will jump on whatever band wagon is popular at the moment. In their minds, all government employees should be "servants" performing a duty as a favor to the taxpayers and the flag, and thankful for the crumbs they are fed.

Thank God! A voice of reason, for once, instead of shrill biased rhetoric. Radicals on either side are useless. I lean strongly toward Robert Bryce's self-description. "I am neither Democrat nor Republican. I am a charter member of the Disgusted Party. I am a radical centrist, a raging moderate, who leans toward the libertarian and believes wholeheartedly in the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights". (Hmm, maybe that will be my new sig line)

Even if some teachers voted for Messieur O (and the guy who stated such has no freakin clue) doesn't mean they deserve to get fired. CA has long had their own budget problems which, incidentally, wasn't the Terminator elected to 'fix'? Multi-million dollar schools and fewer teachers--great economics.

BTW, for those who seem to hate teachers and think they are all 'libs'--who taught you? There is no such thing as a totally self-taught man. We ALL learn from others in all areas of life.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If California got rid of all the illegal aliens and their kids, there would not be a financial shortfall in CA...

I am in favor of teachers being well paid.. at the same time, what some of them were making with Union Jobs in Wisconsin bordered on ridiculous...

Academia is where educators are DRAMATICALLY overpaid...

Last edited by Seafire; 03/17/11.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is an old California trick. Same thing happened when we shot down Ahhnold's proposed tax hikes at the polls. He immediatley cut the number of school buses in use, and started laying off teachers. This makes people think "oh no, we gotta raise taxes now! This is horrible!"

Jerry Brown is doing the same thing. It's all fear tactics to goad people into letting them pass higher taxes.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two freinds in Ca that have govt jobs. Both have had their hours cut.

One works for the Ca Dept of F&G at a state refuge as the office manager. They won't pay her for the full job time that's needed - they've already made staff cuts - so she ends up doing the work at home for FREE.

The other one works a water treatment facility in So Ca. His job cut backs are the most interesting. The water HAS to monitored and treated 24 - 7. They cut his hours back but somebody HAS to fill in at the same pay rate - OR - one of his co-workers works an extra shift and then gets paid overtime. There's only so many people that are qualified to his job.

STOOPID !!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
If California got rid of all the illegal aliens and their kids, there would not be a financial shortfall in CA...

If California stopped pissing away money left and right on completley stupid chit (like dropping a couple million to study toads in the Bay Area), we'd be doing ok right now.

But it's California, where there hasn't been any sanity in power since Ronald Reagan was govenor.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO if the country started worrying less about the teachers, and more about the parents, we'd be closer to fixing the problems. Can't have teacher accountability without parent accountability.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't think it is the teacher salaries that is the problem. In Oregon, the average cost per year per student is $10K. With 35 students per class, that is $350K. The teacher gets $50K salary plus 50% in benefits. The other $275K mostly goes to administators. We could cut administation by 50% without affecting even one student.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
One works for the Ca Dept of F&G at a state refuge as the office manager. They won't pay her for the full job time that's needed - they've already made staff cuts - so she ends up doing the work at home for FREE.

They've slashed the F&G department down to the bone. As of a year or so ago, they could only pay to have one warden (and a female at that) patrol all of South Fork Ridge during deer season. That's one warden to patrol a 98 mile long ridge with likely well over 1,000 hunters on it during the weekends (espically opening day).

Brian.

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no tax payers expense the left won't spare to build indoctrination centers.The kids aren't learning the three R's,heck they aren't even graduating.They do learn they should vote for Dems and that Repubs are evil.

The ones that are graduating are functionally illiterate,so they're ill prepared to get employment.But the teachers have done their job,indoctrination.LOL.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
The "conservative sheeple" are no different than the "liberal sheeple". They will jump on whatever band wagon is popular at the moment. In their minds, all government employees should be "servants" performing a duty as a favor to the taxpayers and the flag, and thankful for the crumbs they are fed.

Not really, but conservatives aren't afraid to question the status quo, even when it has to do with the almighty labor union.

As I recall, California has $800 million in unfunded pension liabilities for these "public servants".

Maybe that $800 million would be a much smaller number if public employees weren't retiring in their 40's with pensions equalling their salaries, and full health benefits.

Maybe they wouldn't need to send out all those pink slips. Did you ever think about that?

They are as much "servants" as the NFL players are "slaves"

_

Thank you for proving my point.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We could cut administation by 50% without affecting even one student.

Exactly!
Idaho has a population of 1.3 million and IIRC 104 school districts.
Is 104 Administrations really necessary?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Not really, but conservatives aren't afraid to question the status quo, even when it has to do with the almighty labor union.

As I recall, California has $800 million in unfunded pension liabilities for these "public servants".

Maybe that $800 million would be a much smaller number if public employees weren't retiring in their 40's with pensions equalling their salaries, and full health benefits.

Maybe they wouldn't need to send out all those pink slips. Did you ever think about that?

They are as much "servants" as the NFL players are "slaves"

_

Whelen,

Your rhetoric is what ltppowell (I think) and myself have a problem with. These sweeping generalizations and willingness to throw the baby out with the bath water are why I consider myself a 'moderate'. I just cannot look at things with such a narrow, one-sided perspective.

Where was the conservative out-cry against the status quo during the Reagan, Bush I & II years? Where were the sweeping reforms when Republicans controlled Congress?

Where are the facts on pension payments vs. age/job, etc. in CA? While I am sure there are bloated, fat cat administrators who are/haved milked the system, to lump all/most of the teachers into that category and imply that the budget shortfalls could be greatly reduced by eliminating teachers is sophistic. There are a lot more public employess on the take in CA than just teachers.

A final note: to compare pro sports players with teachers in any way is specious in the extreme.

I'm not attacking you personally (being a 'moderate' I fully enjoy letting others hold a different point of view--and encourage discourse and dissension) but I see too many of these broad generalizations on the Fire, and indeed, the nation as a whole. Too often, it is accompanied by intolerance for a dissenting point of view which leads to the bipartisan gridlock we so often see.

On a happier note, I love the Whelen!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Exactly my point. The "unimportant" stuff is always cut from any budget first. Important to who, is the question. When it comes to politics, the the only thing that is important is that you oppose what the other side considers important.
[bleep] what really matters, you can't get re-elected like that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When it comes to politics, the the only thing that is important is that you oppose what the other side considers important.

You nailed it Pat.

Brian.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you kidding? 104 school districts, covering 83,574 sq miles, is too many?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teachers are lucky....I've never been given an advance notice of a lay off.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sorry, but I consider the "conservatives" that are swallowing this hook, no better than the dumbasses that bit on Hope and Change.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What hook?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
When it comes to politics, the the only thing that is important is that you oppose what the other side considers important.

You nailed it Pat.

Brian.

Absolutely. And don't forget...they only oppose it so they can get re-elected by 'their constituency'.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.