Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is a post from Long Range Hunting fourm that was made by Kirby Allen. I have read several of his post about barrel groves. I have read that with j4 jacketed bullets the 3 groove barrels create excessive pressure on the bullet itself causing them to come apart before reaching the target.

Have any of yall had similar experince with 3 groove barrels. He did state this occured in fast twist barrels shooting heavy j4 jacket bullets at over 3200 fps. I am only looking to shoot 7mm 168gr bergers at 3000 fps in a 1-9 twist. Should I go 4 groove instead?

Overthinker...Out.

Originally Posted by Fiftydriver;222202
I have used 3 groove barrels in my high velocity wildcats in 25 cal, 6.5mm, 270 cal and 7mm extensively.

I have not had one that was a bad copper fouler but I have heard some are. I would say I have used roughly 12 of these barrels in the different calibers listed above in velocities up to 4100 fps in the 25 cal and 4250 fps in the 6.5mm barrels.

I am familiar with Bill Baileys rifle and agree it was much more of a fouler then I have experienced with my personal barrels and tests.

That said, I have seen this with every different barrel design out there, every once in a while some will just foul more. I had a Lilja 1-8 30 cal barrel that you could shoot 5 shots through and have 3 cents worth of copper in the barrel after those shots.

Called up Dan and asked him what the problem was. He said to return the barrel and they would check it and relap it if needed. Got the barrel back and its working perfectly well not so things happen every once in a while even with top end barrels.

As far as what you can expect, here are a few things I have learned testing these barrels. Most of these have been fast twist barrels so it may not pertain to your situtation with the 1-15 twist.

- Barrel life is longer. Roughly 15-18% longer compared to a traditional 6 groove barrel. Roughly 10-12% longer then 5 groove barrels and around 8-10% longer then 4 groove. That being all barrels made from the same material and hardness. Some of the harder cut rifled barrels will last longer then save groove count button pulled barrels so you have to compare apples to apples.

- I have not noticed much difference in accuracy with a 3, 4, 5 or 6 groove barrel when all are fitted and chambered properly and the barrel is of top quality.

- I have noticed that the 3 groove barrels are much harder on thin jacketed bullets. Again, this is for heavy VLD or ULD bullets in fast twist barrels. I do not think you will have these issues but if you use a J-4 based bullet, you may have some problems no matter what twist you use with those velocities.

- I have seen some 3 groove barrels produce a bit more velocity then other rifling designs and some a bit less. I have tested them head to head with the 5R and 5S barrels and can tell you that for the three barrels I tested, the Lilja 3 groove produced the least amount of pressure for a given load using the same chamber, throat, bullet and load and barrel length. In fact a comfortable load in the Lilja was leaving a shiny ejector mark on the 5S barrel. All in all, variations from one barrel to another will effect velocity potential to a higher degree then the number of lands in the barrel, especially with conventional cup jacketed bullets. Now with hard bullets thats a different story.

If I am building a rifle for high velocity using very long, very heavy VLD or ULD bullets in a fast twist barrel, I will not use the 3 groove barrels any more simply because of their high baring surface compression % which is just to hard on these bullets and in time you will have problems.

For those types of rifles I will generally use a 4 groove barrel with BSC % in the 20% range and no more.

For conventional chamberings or with very light weight bullets, its not nearly as critical.

All in all, there is not a huge difference between these barrel designs. Break them in well and on average they will behave like any other top end barrel. Of course there is always a chance of a bad barrel but thats the case with any barrel maker.

What bullet will you be using?

Originally Posted by Fiftydriver;273966
I had to rebarrel 16, 7mm Allen Magnum rifles on my dime for just this reason. They were the original batch of rifles designed to shoot the 200 gr ULD RBBT wildcat bullets.

Every one of them shot amazingly well until they hit from 200-300 rounds down the barrel. Then it was like a switch was flipped and the rifles went from 1/4 to 1/3 moa rifles to having 50 to 100% of the bullets coming apart in flight.

That said, these were being loaded to a velocity of 3200-3350 fps with the 200 gr ULD RBBT bullets. After this occured, nearly every rifle still shot very well the 160 gr Accubond bullets loaded from 3400-3550 fps.

Obviously this is higher velocity levels then you will be dealing with so that may help you dramatically.

Also, I have found that the 180 gr Berger will take slightly more abuse then the 200 gr ULD RBBT. The reason is because the 200 gr bullets were made on 30 cal J-4 jackets that were reduced in diameter to work with the 7mm bore size. This certainly work hardened the jacket and this may also be the reason for the bullet failures once the barrels got 200-300 rounds down the barrel.

I will say that in my testing, the Berger 180 gr VLDs shot very well in most of these barrels as long as they were shot at velocities under 3300 fps on average..

That said, with the VERY fast twist which is much more then needed for either of these bullets, once the barrels get some wear on them and the throat roughens up, you may start seeing some issues but I suspect at the velocity range you are at you will not see this nearly as soon as the 7mm AMs did.

The cure was pretty simple, go to a 1-9, 4 groove barrel or a thin land Rock 1-8.7 5R barrel which seem to solve all the problem.

I have a 7mm AM that has a Lilja 1-9, 6 groove and it was tearing 200 gr ULD RBBT apart and last weekend I tested the 180 gr Berger in it and they shot very well, at least for a barrel with the number of bullets this one has down it, roughly 800 rounds.

Again, I would suspect you will see problems MUCH farther down the road then we did and possibly you may never see a problem before the barrel is ready to be replaced.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I run 3 groove Pac Nor exclusively when shooting 90 jlks in my 223 match guns.

I don't run them mild but the 223 doesn't allow tons of speed IE 2700ish with the 90.
JLKs were using J4 jackets. Never had one come apart.

I don't know either, could be barrel dimensions or could be 4 groove vs 3 groove, but the 4 groove Kriegers would never let you get to the same speed as teh 3 groove pac nors.

IMHO the 3 groove makes sense, simply because its not land opposing land and groove opposing groove so should be easier on the bullet as a whole.

This in a 6.5 twist to boot which ain't a slow twist in 223......

Anyway, I don't discount anything Kirby says, he has more time downrange with them than I do, unless only dealing with 223.

I also have a couple of 5 groove tubes... I don't have any issues with them, and would assume, simply by groove/land diameter, there should be less jacket stress there too....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i'm runnin' a couple of Lilja 3 groove, 1-8" .264 Win barrels with no complaints.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I completely agree with what Kirby Allen is saying, I have had the same thing happen several times. In my experience the Pac-Nor 3groove is worse than the Lilja 3groove.
rost495 uses them in 223's (I have also) with no problem, but the faster the twist and the larger the case capacity the worse the problem is.
Just one example (of many) I have a 6mm-284 with a Pac-Nor 28" 1-8"twist 3groove barrel, when doing initial load developement I tried the 105gr A-Max the 105gr VLD Berger and the 107gr SMK. I never had even 1 of the A-Max bullets ever make it to target, I used the 105gr VLD Berger for about 400 rounds until they started blowing up also then had to switch to the 107gr SMK (much tougher jacket) for the rest of the barrel's life.

After I did the initial load developement I took the rifle back to my gunsmith and he sent the barrel back to Chris at Pac-Nor and he said it looked great......right.

Since you are only looking to shoot "7mm 168gr berger's at 3000 fps in a 1-9 twist" you will be fine, the problem would most likely start if you were trying to push the 180 gr berger down a 1-8" twist at 3200fps (more velocity and longer bearing surface).
JMHO after owning 10-11 (cant remember for sure on one rifle)I dont see ANY advantage of the 3groove barrel's only dis-advantages.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by toad
i'm runnin' a couple of Lilja 3 groove, 1-8" .264 Win barrels with no complaints.

Then you must not have tried the 140gr VLD Berger or dont have many rounds down the tube yet

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495

IMHO the 3 groove makes sense, simply because its not land opposing land and groove opposing groove so should be easier on the bullet as a whole.

Could not dis-agree more, I was at a benchrest match a while back and on the equipment list not one 3groove in the bunch and about 90%+ were 4 groove barrel's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 3-grooves and hold the rest.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I made benchrest bullets for a long time and I have shot many, many thousands of 22 and 243 dia in three groove Pac Nor and Lilja's in 22/250 AI's, 6/250 AI's, 243 AI's, 244 AI's, 257Weatherby, and 7 STW's.

In my experience, the three groove barrels are faster and easier to clean.

I know that Kirby is very experienced and never discount what he is saying...there may be another answer.

When I was making benchrest bullets, there were some lot# of jackets that were very different from other lot#, I always had to do quality control on the jackets.

Another issue is if there was a screw up at the foundry when the lead wire was being made for the cores. We found that putting %5 tin in the cores made the cores much harder and resisted the boat tails caving in. If the foundry mis marked a pallet of lead wire, it would explain the bullets disappearing(boat tails cave in).

Rockchuck, when I was shooting benchrest, the popular saying was that if a guy won a match with a wheel attached to his rifle that every shooter would start putting various type of wheels on their rifles...as a general rule of thumb, benchrest shooters are like elephants with their tails tied together.

Gene Harwood, past Pres. of NBRSA was a friend, and he would be the first to tell you the wheel story. Gene on the other hand was not a follow the leader type.

Also, there could be a issue with long VLD type bullets, I shot 105's in a 6PPC, other than that, I have no experience with the long-heavy for the caliber VLD's in any caliber.

Last edited by keith; 03/20/11.
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info and confidence boost in my 3 groove choice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Personally I can see that more grooves simply would not damage a bullet as much as fewer, but thats just a supposition.

I fall more and more in love with 5R the more I shoot those tubes too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by keith
there could be a issue with long VLD type bullets, I have no experience with the long-heavy for the caliber VLD's in any caliber.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Badley
Thanks for the info and confidence boost in my 3 groove choice.

I am missing something, what would give you a confidence boost in a 3 groove?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
There has been too much internet chatter on the issues that Kirby experienced for it to be just idle talk, personally I would go 5R a much safer and popular choice!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got 'em all.

Pass the 3-groove..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've got 'em all.

I'll Pass on the 3-groove..................

Fixed it for ya!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imagination is all you've got and it's sumptin' to behold.

Pardon my not being forced to guess...it's how I roll..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last three groove I tried started destroying VLDs at the 150rnd point. (140s at 3250)

3s might work great for some things but VLDs at speed is not their strong point.

Hard to see any advantage over 5s or 6s for me.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who's barrel?..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Proprietary. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You mean Imaginary................

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, Aviator, 11 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 803 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.