Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Nice rifle! I think you're right about the barrel band.

- Tom

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
efw,

I recently picked up a custom .243 from the late 50's or early 60's, by the looks of it. It's a heavy barreled varmint rifle, with typical California-style stock made out of BEAUTIFUL American walnut, with nice checkering, fittings of paler wood (probably maple, and what appears to be an old Timney set at right around one pound. It's on a Mexican Mauser action (the cocking-knob model) and everything was done just right. I paid $350. It shoots great. No markings as to maker or barrel.

Last year I bought a genuine Bill Sukalle sporter. Yep, the barrelmaker who did work for Jack O'Connor. A .257 "Rem." on a good military 98 action, with a nicely made stock (he farmed those out), and a Lyman 48 underneath a K4 Weaver in a Griffin & Howe side mount. The military trigger was remodeled to a crisp 3-pound pull. Price: $700. It shoots into well under an inch.

Yeah, I'm a rifle loony!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O.H. Elliott was born in Michigan in 1903.

Served an apprenticeship in Indianapolis, Indiana 1919-1920.

University Michigan School of Engineering 1920-23.

Apprenticeship gunsmithing in London 1923-25.

I don't know if he made stocks or not but employed one stockmaker (name unknown) after 1946 in Williamsburg, Michigan.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
That is great information; thank you very much!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That is purdy! Thanks for the message, made my day seeing a classy old rifle like that. You're a lucky man to have that follow you home.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by efw
Thanks for the compliments all!

Anyone know how to tell the difference between rust & caustic blue?

Yours appears to be caustic blue to me. Below is one of mine that is rust blued and you will note the almost grey-like color, not deep blue at all. Nice rifle and story to boot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks for answering that question, Tony.

That is observably different from mine, which is slightly different colors; the barrel one, the shroud another, and the reciever/BM yet another.

That is a beautiful custom job you have there. Whose BM is that? What cartridge is it chambered for?

I likey.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The aperture sight is a Lyman 48, a superb sight.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I'm a rifle loony!

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. grin
And thanks to efw and GH for a great thread. There's something about the older customs that just seems right.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
efw - careful, someone will accuse you of having a rifle that was "butchered" from the original now-collectible military version!

That is one terrific looking Mauser. I like the old customs myself. Sometimes a guy can find a real nice one at a bargain price. Yours is a beauty.

Regards, Guy

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by efw
Thanks for answering that question, Tony.

That is observably different from mine, which is slightly different colors; the barrel one, the shroud another, and the reciever/BM yet another.

That is a beautiful custom job you have there. Whose BM is that? What cartridge is it chambered for?

I likey.

The action and bottom metal were made by Pete Grisel before he and Don Allen landed on the Dakota action. He made just 50 of them, this one is stamped #49. It is pretty slick with quick detachable rings and all. It is a 280 Remington. Thanks for the comments.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Last summer I met a couple of forum members who are interested in custom rifles, and they took pics of mine.
GH

Guilty as charged. blush

Here is what Grasshopper's rifle looks like. The pictures don't completely do it justice but you can see it is a rifle well worth owning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Edward, I'm sorry I didn't know about this thread sooner, but we have been gone and just recently got back home. My brother let me know about it last night. Larry

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My apologies for not getting back to your PM, Grasshopper.

I scanned all my photos from that day and didn't find one of your O.H. Elliott..........so I presumed Larry had taken them.

I do have one of you clutching a ratty old Springfield however.

grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Larry,

Thanks so much for posting those pics... Hope you had a good time on your vacation...

Grandview,

No apology necessary. smile Thanks for looking...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Man, you guys are giving me the mauser bug again. Something about the classic lines and simplicity. Thanks all for sharing.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by TomM1
Man, you guys are giving me the mauser bug again. Something about the classic lines and simplicity. Thanks all for sharing.

Maybe someone will start a new classic Mauser sporter thread. I always enjoy looking at them also.

I say a new thread because I really hate to take away from the thought of this thread. I'd enjoy seeing more of O.H. Elliott's work if anyone has more.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GrandView
I do have one of you clutching a ratty old Springfield however. grin

GV,

That "ratty old Springfield" was one of the highlights of my trip.... smile laugh grin

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Dang Ed that is indeed an amazing rifle! I absolutely love the full length stock...

Oh, and "ratty old Springfields" are another of my joys in life, too!

Maybe a "classic Mauser sporters" thread is in order along with a "ratty old Springfields" one smile ?

L
L
Ok, when I was a little girl my father was a friend of Mr. Elliot's and Mr. Elliot made ALL my father's guns.....he made a 30 06 gun for my mother to hunt with and she still has it. The REASON I am posting here is this. DOES ANYONE HERE know the "value" of this gun? I can send anyone pics if you can help me. She has terminal cancer and I need to KNOW the value of this gun so I can pay for cremation expenses. ANY HELP would be appreciated. I figured since you all were interested in his guns someone would know? Thanks.......

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Lopiekitty,

First off I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's health. I just trudged down that same path with my father in Feb so I know exactly how you're feeling.

I'll shoot you a PM with my email address, but it is really hard to price a custom rifle like this because the value really is only what a person is able/willing to pay at the moment you need to sell.

On the other hand, you've got an audience here that is more likely to offer you a fair price than most other groups of people.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.