Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those who carry CCW .357's, how are you concealing them? Aren't IWB a tad uncomfortable?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a Clip-Draw on J, K, and L-frames. Obviously more comfortable with a J, but workable with 3" K and L frames. If you are taller than me, and most are, 4" should be doable.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got through walking 3 miles with a 3" SP101 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. It is very comfortable.

[Linked Image]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Back in 1970 when I bought my first two handguns...a S&W M19 and matching M18...they were all I had. Most of the time I just slipped the 19 IWB behind the left hip butt forward... Since that time that is almost how I always carry a defensive firearm and is where my Commander is right now.

The only K-Frame .357 Magnum S&W I have left is a 3" M65. I don't carry it all that much but when I do it goes in the same spot. If I caried it often then the hammer would be bobbed... The grips are Pachmayer Compacts and they keep the gun from sliding at all...

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carried a S&W 19-2.5" in a Desintis IWB for several years.

Very comfortable.

Virgil B.

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have three 3" Smiths I carry regularly: a M65 357, a M66 357, and a M696 44spl. They all ride very comfortably in an IWB kydex holster or a leather pancake, both by FIST. Truthfully, the IWB (which looks remarkably like Cheyenne's VersaMax) is probably more comfortable. I like kydex a lot for IWB because it's so thin and impervious to sweat. The M65 also has an Alessi Talon it sometimes prefers.

I much prefer my 3" Smiths to my 4" for carry, but I'm a relatively small guy.

That SP101/ VersaMax is a good lookin rig Cheyenne!

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the clip draw. I have them on my M60 and my 640 357 Mag.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for bringing this up Barkoff. I'll be carrying my three inch Custom Shop modified 65 Smith today. DAO, factory bobbed hammer, Hogue grips.
Leather, as always, by Sam Andrews, including this nifty speed loader holder. The speed loader rides on the belt, the holder folds around it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/24/11.

Sam......

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Those who carry CCW .357's, how are you concealing them? Aren't IWB a tad uncomfortable?

I use a Milt Sparks IWB holster for an N-Frame S&W with 4" barrel and I find it to be very comfortable

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ruger sp101 iwb Done Hume holster.... Fantastic gun and holster combo

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 1/2" model 19 Smith carried in a pancake holster.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dsink

Outside your waistband? So some of you carry OWB with a long shirt, no printing problems? I would rather go OWB because here in CA some places I hike I will still need to conceal. I'm worried that long uphill walks will get uncomfortable with a IWB.

I'm looking at the Galco Fletch, it rides high and I like the way the cant it to keep the grip next to the body...anyone have any thoughts on the Galco Fletch?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mannlicher Love those grips I am wondering do they make a set like that that would fit a Ruger BH for my 41. Thanks Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This isn't going to help you much - but I carry a 3" model 60 in an Alessi Hideout IWB with pull-through snap. It's very comfortable and it's one of my favorite holsters. Conceals very well under an untucked shirt - especially with a "boot grip" on the revolver. Sadly, I understand Lou is no longer with us and I don't know if anyone picked up his designs.

I also just got a very nice field holster for my 4" Security-Six, made by a good friend of mine. The reason I mention this is that the forward-canted rig that holds the butt close to my frame actually conceals surprisingly well under a light jacket or long vest - and being an OWB design, it is extremely comfortable. So, what I'm getting at is unless you're into tight clothing, it isn't that hard to hide a small to medium revolver.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This also might not be much help but my S&W M&P 340 357 mag is my BUG and stays in my front left "offside" pants pocket in a Don Hume 001 pocket holster.

Alan
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by dsink

Outside your waistband? So some of you carry OWB with a long shirt, no printing problems? I would rather go OWB because here in CA some places I hike I will still need to conceal. I'm worried that long uphill walks will get uncomfortable with a IWB.

I'm looking at the Galco Fletch, it rides high and I like the way the cant it to keep the grip next to the body...anyone have any thoughts on the Galco Fletch?

[Linked Image]
I've got a Fletch for my Springfield 1911 and another for my Smith M&P Compact 9mm. They are fine holsters and exceedingly comfortable. They do hold the weapon out from the body and will not conceal as well as an IWB or just sticking your gun in your pants. The latter, IMO, is very underrated as far as pure concealment. I think the main reason for concealment holsters is retention and reliable placement of the gun for a draw. Also they are less likely to snag and hang up. Blackhawk makes some very comfortable and minimalistic IWB holsters that are so cheap you literally might as well buy one to try. I've also got a Bianchi for the 1911. It is a horsehide OWB holster on the order of the Fletch, but is flatter and better on the concealment portion of its mission. The Fletch far exceeds it on the draw portion though. The same can be said of the Triple K basketweave pancake holster I've got. It conceals well for OWB but the Fletch is a better draw.

If I were you and the primary mission was hiking, I'd get the Fletch. It gets as hot or hotter around here than about any heat you will experience short of Death Valley. You put on a pair of cargo shorts with a good quality t shirt stuffed into them. A medium-weight belt holding the Fletch and then a short-sleeved, loose fitting collared shirt with the tails out will conceal this rig well. If you put it back behind your hip bone, you probably won't even need to button it, but if you button a couple of buttons, it will be well-concealed.

The Fletch is muy comfortable.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I daily carry my 65 in a Simply Rugged Sourdough with inside-out straps. My local leather gal solved my Chicago screw issue with the suggestion of using a little fingernail polish to lock the screws. I carry it OWB when I'm woods tramping. I would recommend the system. I don't wear the inside-out straps the way SR shows because I found it too thick but worked around it.
I wouldn't call it super comfortable with a good sized gun stuck in my pants but as Clint Smith says 'carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable'. I like having a 'real' gun on me.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've carried this pre-warning Ruger Security Six in a Wm. Gordon Davis OWB holster over many a mile for many a year out in the boonies... and sometimes in the city. It is very comfortable and I've never had any problem concealing it under a shirt, untucked at the waist.

Davis is no longer making the holster in the picture.

Were I to buy another holster for the Ruger, I'd buy a Simply Rugged pancake.

[Linked Image]

One of the secrets to "concealment" is to buy a good, sturdy matching leather belt with the holster when you order it.
L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
+1 on the belt. Dress belts are too pliable to firmly support the weight and torque of a pistol.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep - get a good belt. My preference is a double-thickness belt from Milt Sparks, but Cabelas' 1-3/4" Garrison belt will do in a pinch for field work.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,828
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.