Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
he precursers to living cells have were made out of just these components almost 40 years ago in lab experiments(amino acids) proving it was not only possible but probable.

Buying every part of a Ford truck and dumping it all in a tsunami makes getting a whole truck probable? The difference between a bucket of parts and life is insurmountable, not probable. In the lab, they had scientists deliberately putting the right amino acids together. In nature, it's all by chance. The probability just dropped by in unmeasurable amount.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Brian says, he's trying to wrap his head around it.
It'll never work. Matters of the spirit are spiritually discerned.

You didn't miss out on the gift of faith, Brian. You rejected it. And you work hard, as is evidenced by your threads and comments, to justify that rejection. That too will never work.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Here's the thing I just can't get my head around.

People say that faith in a Christian God - is a gift. I guess I was missed when that particular gift was handed out. I have found my faith - but it isn't in the faith of my ancestors.

I was raised in a Christian family. My Dad was schooled to be a Lutheran Minister - although he eventually chose another career after his schooling. My Mother was Methodist. I was raised in the United Church of Canada. My parents were wonderful people and we lived rich prayer filled lives. I even taught the teen youth group in church when I first moved out of my home. Familiar themes gave me a kind of security far from home.

But - I couldn't get the logical part of my brain to stop the questions. My brain needed logical answers. I always had the questions no one wanted to answer. I was told to rely on my faith. In my case, after over three decades, there was very little faith left.

I teach comparative religion to Gr.8 kids as a part of the prescribed curriculum. The more I learned about other faiths - the harder it became to believe my own Christian faith had all the answers to the exclusion of other faiths. I used to bring in guest speakers from different faiths to enlighten my students as to their own beliefs. I also was struck by the certainty that every non-Christian knew their own faith to be the one true one. That was the same with all of them. Except maybe the Buddhist lecturer - his branch of Buddhism was more a life philosophy than a religion - he said belief in God was optional. But other than him - every person of other faiths absolutely knew the other faiths were wrong - and theirs was right.

Personally I found myself doubting the idea of one faith being the only true one. I also couldn't wrap my head around the teachings of a loving God that put children in places where they could only be Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, animists or whatever. - so he could torture them in a lake of fire - forever - after they died. It made no sense.

So, still wanting to believe (against ever observation of nature) that I might be able to see people I loved after their deaths - and get to live on forever myself - because I do love every minute of the life I live - I became generically "spiritual". A theist, or deist. I wanted to believe in a generic God that could love all children - regardless of what their parents told them to believe - and regardless of where they were born on this earth.

Then, eventually I became an agnostic. I couldn't believe - but I wasn't capable of taking the next step - disbelief. So, I put the whole religious thing out of my mind - and contented myself with the thought that I'd just put all of my efforts into living the best earthly life I could live - and not worry about death - and what might happen after.

Eventually that didn't work either. I'm not one to not have a position. I took the biggest step - and took a position. I became an atheist. I accepted the lack of a God or gods. I also got rid of the idea that there is a devil, demons, angels, spirits and ghosts. My world started to make sense - to me. The more atheists I met (and many aren't at ease with "coming out") the more I came to identify with those kinds of people. The one thing I noticed with the ones I met was that, as a group, they were very good moral people who had come to their beliefs with much struggle, introspection, study and thought. None seemed to enter atheism lightly.

But there was a problem. Atheism only told me what what I wasn't. It defined me - by what I didn't believe in. It's been said that atheism is a religion. If that's true - not collecting stamps - is a hobby.

Atheism defined me - by what I didn't believe in.

But nothing truly defined what I did believe in.

That is, until my search lead me to Scientific Pantheism.

I had always believed I was part of the Universe. I always believed I was part of Nature. I was always in awe of the power of both of those things. I had a love for the earth that could only be described as thinking of it as a sacred place. I believe I am made out of the same matter and energy as the earth - and of the universe. I look at the earth and the universe with humility, awe, reverence and celebration. I have have have come from it, I am part of it, I will always be a part of it - even when my present form is changed.

I revere and love nature. With the same level of commitment to it that others find in relics, buildings, altars and sacraments. I was never fully comfortable in church. I am my most comfortable out in nature - in wild places. Close to the natural earth. It is there that I find answers to my questions and a sense of peace that can only be described as spiritual.

Life is not a path to somewhere else.

Life is the destination.

And so - I am an atheist. It does describe what I don't believe in.

But more importantly - I am a Scientific Pantheist. That philosophy fully describes what I do believe in.

My earthy faith struggles that dogged me since childhood are over now. I have no more doubts. I have arrived at a faith that fills me perfectly. It answers all of my questions. It defines my place in the universe. It brings me total peace. Total peace.

To those who find that in their present faith - I am happy for you.

I hope that people with other beliefs can understand the total peace and contentment that I find in my own faith - and allow me to share it with the same certainty and contentment that their own faith might bring them.

I have never been so content in my own beliefs - as I am now.

I am guilty of trying to spread my faith - as most believers do - from time to time. Just as when others try an convince me of their beliefs - I can't help but respond in kind.

I accept the motives of people of faith who try and share their own beliefs with me. I hope people can come to believe my own motives are the same.

When you find a belief system that totally sums up every thought within you - and answers all of your questions - you have found something precious.I have found that faith.

Until you find "the next thing".

That could be said for anyone - of any belief.

Personally speaking, I know I never had a contentment level - when I was a Christian. I have that now.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
As Brian says, he's trying to wrap his head around it.
It'll never work. Matters of the spirit are spiritually discerned.

You didn't miss out on the gift of faith, Brian. You rejected it. And you work hard, as is evidenced by your threads and comments, to justify that rejection. That too will never work.

I love it when Christians tell me - with certainty - about my life. It's part of the reason it didn't work for me. It's that arrogance.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When the truth (God's word) is absent from people's lives, they can be easily manipulated. There are unfortunately many examples of that in this thread alone.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tom264

People say that faith in a Christian God - is a gift. I guess I was missed when that particular gift was handed out. I have found my faith - but it isn't in the faith of my ancestors.

I was raised in a Christian family. My Dad was schooled to be a Lutheran Minister - although he eventually chose another career after his schooling. My Mother was Methodist. I was raised in the United Church of Canada. My parents were wonderful people and we lived rich prayer filled lives. I even taught the teen youth group for years in church when I first moved out of my home. Familiar themes gave me a kind of security far from home.

But - I couldn't get the logical part of my brain to stop the questions. My brain needed logical answers. I always seemed to think about questions no one in church wanted to answer. I was told in times like that - to rely on my faith. In my case, after over three decades, I found there was very little of that kind of faith left.

I teach comparative religion to Gr.8 kids as a part of the prescribed curriculum. The more I learned about other faiths - the harder it became to believe my own Christian faith had all the answers to the exclusion of other faiths. I used to bring in guest speakers from different faiths to enlighten my students as to their own beliefs. I also was struck by the certainty that every non-Christian knew their own faith to be the one true one.

That was the same with all of them. Except maybe the Buddhist lecturer - his branch of Buddhism was more a life philosophy than a religion - he said belief in God was optional. But other than him - every person of other faiths absolutely knew the other faiths were wrong - and that theirs was right.

Personally I found myself doubting the idea of one faith being the only true one. I also couldn't wrap my head around the teachings of a loving God that put children in places where they could only be Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, animists or whatever. - so he could torture them in a lake of fire - forever - after they died. It made no sense.

So, still wanting to believe (against all observations of nature) that I might be able to see people I loved after their deaths - and get to live on forever myself.I loved that idea - because I do love every minute of the life I live - I became generically "spiritual". A theist, or deist. I wanted to believe in a generic God that could love all children - regardless of what their parents told them to believe - and regardless of where they were born on this earth.

Then, eventually I became an agnostic. I couldn't believe - but I wasn't capable of taking the next step - total disbelief either. So, I put the whole religious thing out of my mind - and contented myself with the thought that I'd just put all of my efforts into living the best earthly life I could live - and not worry about death - and what might happen after.

Eventually that didn't work either. I'm not one to not have a position. I took the biggest step - and took a position. I became an atheist. I accepted the lack of a God or gods. I also got rid of the idea that there is a devil, demons, angels, spirits and ghosts.

My world started to make sense - to me. The more atheists I met (and many aren't at ease with "coming out" at least to believers) the more I came to identify with those kinds of people. The one thing I noticed with the ones that I met was that, as a group, they were very good moral people who had come to their beliefs with much struggle, introspection, study and thought. None seemed to enter atheism lightly.

But there was a problem. Atheism only told me what what I wasn't. It defined me - by what I didn't believe in. It's been said that atheism is a religion. If that's true - not collecting stamps - is a hobby.

I had always believed I was part of the Universe. I have always believed that I was part of Nature. I have always been in awe of the power of both of those things. I had a love for the earth that could only be described as thinking of it as a sacred place. I believe I am made out of the same matter and energy as the earth - and of the universe. I look at the earth and the universe with humility, awe, reverence and celebration. I have have have come from it, I am part of it, I will always be a part of it - even when my present form is changed.

I revere and love nature. With the same level of commitment to it that others find in relics, buildings, altars, prayer and sacraments. I was never fully comfortable in church. I am my most comfortable out in nature - in wild places. Close to the natural earth. It is there that I find answers to my questions and a sense of peace that can only be described as spiritual.

Life is the destination.

But more importantly - I am a Scientific Pantheist. That philosophy fully describes what I do believe in.

My earthy faith struggles that dogged me since childhood are over now. I have no more doubts. I have arrived at a faith that fills me perfectly. It answers all of my questions. It defines my place in the universe. It brings me total peace. Total peace.

I hope that people with other beliefs can understand the total peace and contentment that I find in my own faith - and allow me to share it with the same certainty and contentment that their own faith might bring them.

I am guilty of trying to spread my faith - as most believers do - from time to time. Just as when others try an convince me of their beliefs - I can't help but respond in kind.

I accept the motives of people of faith who try and share their own beliefs with me. I hope people can come to believe my own motives are the same.

When you find a belief system that totally sums up every thought within you - and answers all of your questions - you have found something precious.

I have found that faith.
What I find funny is these atheists always have to start threads against religion......

I have yet to find a religious person starting a thread about atheism...

Seems like there is an agenda....

Christians often promote their beliefs here. Atheists are no different. Neither are Scientific Pantheists. wink

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What's amazing is that you do have a beautiful place where you live, and all that beautiful scenery happened purely by chance wink . I call that stupidity.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/24/11.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

I was raised in a Christian family. My Dad was schooled to be a Lutheran Minister - although he eventually chose another career after his schooling. My Mother was Methodist. I was raised in the United Church of Canada. My parents were wonderful people and we lived rich prayer filled lives. I even taught the teen youth group for years in church when I first moved out of my home. Familiar themes gave me a kind of security far from home.

But - I couldn't get the logical part of my brain to stop the questions. My brain needed logical answers. I always seemed to think about questions no one in church wanted to answer. I was told in times like that - to rely on my faith. In my case, after over three decades, I found there was very little of that kind of faith left.

I teach comparative religion to Gr.8 kids as a part of the prescribed curriculum. The more I learned about other faiths - the harder it became to believe my own Christian faith had all the answers to the exclusion of other faiths. I used to bring in guest speakers from different faiths to enlighten my students as to their own beliefs. I also was struck by the certainty that every non-Christian knew their own faith to be the one true one.

That was the same with all of them. Except maybe the Buddhist lecturer - his branch of Buddhism was more a life philosophy than a religion - he said belief in God was optional. But other than him - every person of other faiths absolutely knew the other faiths were wrong - and that theirs was right.

So, still wanting to believe (against all observations of nature) that I might be able to see people I loved after their deaths - and get to live on forever myself.I loved that idea - because I do love every minute of the life I live - I became generically "spiritual". A theist, or deist. I wanted to believe in a generic God that could love all children - regardless of what their parents told them to believe - and regardless of where they were born on this earth.

Then, eventually I became an agnostic. I couldn't believe - but I wasn't capable of taking the next step - total disbelief either. So, I put the whole religious thing out of my mind - and contented myself with the thought that I'd just put all of my efforts into living the best earthly life I could live - and not worry about death - and what might happen after.

Eventually that didn't work either. I'm not one to not have a position. I took the biggest step - and took a position. I became an atheist. I accepted the lack of a God or gods. I also got rid of the idea that there is a devil, demons, angels, spirits and ghosts.

My world started to make sense - to me. The more atheists I met (and many aren't at ease with "coming out" at least to believers) the more I came to identify with those kinds of people. The one thing I noticed with the ones that I met was that, as a group, they were very good moral people who had come to their beliefs with much struggle, introspection, study and thought. None seemed to enter atheism lightly.

I had always believed I was part of the Universe. I have always believed that I was part of Nature. I have always been in awe of the power of both of those things. I had a love for the earth that could only be described as thinking of it as a sacred place. I believe I am made out of the same matter and energy as the earth - and of the universe. I look at the earth and the universe with humility, awe, reverence and celebration. I have have have come from it, I am part of it, I will always be a part of it - even when my present form is changed.

I revere and love nature. With the same level of commitment to it that others find in relics, buildings, altars, prayer and sacraments. I was never fully comfortable in church. I am my most comfortable out in nature - in wild places. Close to the natural earth. It is there that I find answers to my questions and a sense of peace that can only be described as spiritual.

Life is the destination.

When you find a belief system that totally sums up every thought within you - and answers all of your questions - you have found something precious.

I have found that faith.
What I find funny is these atheists always have to start threads against religion......

I have yet to find a religious person starting a thread about atheism...

Seems like there is an agenda....

Christians often promote their beliefs here. Atheists are no different. Neither are Scientific Pantheists. wink
Well then maybe I ought to start a thread about how stupid and wrong atheism is... crazy

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Ricky, he speaks of the Roman Catholic church.

Catholic simply means, right, correct, etc.

That may be your definition, but Webster and others attribute "universal", or "whole", to the word. First used in the 15th century.

Friend Ricky,

Not to be contrary, but you've gotten your date wrong.

The term "Catholic" and "Catholic Church" appears a few times in literature towards the end of the First Century. These were unknown authors, but the term, meaning universal church, was common amongst the folks.

The first notable person to write "Catholic" and "Catholic Church" was Saint Ignatius of Antioch. Saint Ignatius, I'm sure you know, was among the Apostolic Fathers, was the third Bishop of Antioch, and was a student of John the Apostle.

En route to his martyrdom in Rome, Ignatius wrote a series of letters which have been preserved as an example of very early Christian theology. Important topics addressed in these letters include ecclesiology, the Seven Sacraments, and the role of Bishops.

In these letters, Saint Ignatius referred several times to the Catholic Church, Catholic Bishops (Priests did not exist yet, but Deacons did) and the Catholic laity.

The date? 107 AD.

Here is a quote from Kenneth Whitehead PhD, but I'm sure that anyone with a decent Christian library can come up with umpteen sources, all saying Ignatius of Antioch and 107 AD.

"Around the year A.D. 107, a Bishop, St. Ignatius of Antioch in the Near East, was arrested, brought to Rome by armed guards and eventually martyred there in the arena. In a farewell letter which this early Bishop and martyr wrote to his fellow Christians in Smyrna (today Izmir in modern Turkey), he made the first written mention in history of "the Catholic Church." He wrote, "Where the Bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church" (To the Smyrnaeans 8:2). Thus, the second century of Christianity had scarcely begun when the name of the Catholic Church was already in use.

Thereafter, mention of the name became more and more frequent in the written record. It appears in the oldest written account we possess outside the New Testament of the martyrdom of a Christian for his faith, the "Martyrdom of St. Polycarp," bishop of the same Church of Smyrna to which St. Ignatius of Antioch had written. St. Polycarp was martyred around 155, and the account of his sufferings dates back to that time. The narrator informs us that in his final prayers before giving up his life for Christ, St. Polycarp "remembered all who had met with him at any time, both small and great, both those with and those without renown, and the whole Catholic Church throughout the world."

Ricky, my friend, we Catholics have been around for fully two millenium, that is what we called ourselves and that is what others called us. I totally apologize in advance if that is contrary to your beliefs or what was taught to you from the pulpit.

It is said that "One should never apologize for the truth." But I do, if that is contrary to your belief system. The fact remains that the truth is always the truth.

Lenten Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love it when Christians tell me - with certainty - about my life. It's part of the reason it didn't work for me. It's that arrogance.
Don't feel special. I love it when atheists tell me - with certainty - about my life. It's part of the reason it didn't work for me. It's that arrogance.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Not arrogance....its facts written in the Bible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.
If that's arrgance, please file complaints with the author.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
Demanding loyalty is a human not godly trait.

Appears not.

Exodus 20:4-6
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
KJV

Afterall, we are created in His image and after His likeness. We share the same traits, it's just that ours our corrupt and His are perfect.

RickyD is right. Yes, it's true that demanding loyalty is a human trait -- it's one mark of God's image on us, and it's corrupted. I'll add to that. The whole point is that no human is worthy of worship. Only God is worthy of worship, and we benefit from worshiping him because only then are we rightly related to him.

To Brian's long post I can only say that he isn't alone in trying to reduce God to human logic, but he should know that it can't be done. When someone thinks they have succeeded, what they're really doing is worshiping self. By trying to reduce God to human logic, we're attempting to make God as small as we are. Such a God would be unworthy of worship, and we would easily usurp his place. That's how cults begin.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think there may be a misconception here. I think a decline in "organized" religion is occurring, one church is not the one true church, for example, but the belief in God is not. I don`t attend church much at all now, but I believe in God. I say prayers most every nite, and think my problems/shortcomings are between me and Him, with no go-between.
So would you call me a Christian?

I`m trying to figgure that one out myself.

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Don't feel special. I love it when atheists tell me - with certainty - about my life. It's part of the reason it didn't work for me. It's that arrogance.

I have never presumed to know anything about you - or how you are with your own faith.

Unlike the many Christians around this fire - who have, on many occasions - told me all about my own life.

Go back and re-read posts posted by Christians about 8 and 13 posts back - concerning me and my life. smile

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If someone started a religion that required you to give up your possesions, worship a god without question and drink human blood and eat human flesh once a week so you could live forever. would that be considered a cult?

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PS1080
If someone started a religion that required you to give up your possesions, worship a god without question and drink human blood and eat human flesh once a week so you could live forever. would that be considered a cult?

Is that "someone" God?
Or is that "someone" merely human?
Notwithstanding your misunderstandings, that makes all the difference.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You come from your father and you go to your father.....who is your father?

Ah, not me. I came from the Mother I go to the Mother. Father's don't have wombs. But than I follow a Goddess spiritual path.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

Is that "someone" God?
Or is that "someone" merely human?
Notwithstanding your misunderstandings, that makes all the difference.

Steve

Someone is a human.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I know where your getting at, drinking blood....wine represents his blood.
Unleavened bread represents his flesh..doing those will NOT give one eternal life.
Accepting him as your Savior and baptizing in HIS name will.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 2500HD, 50 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,691
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.