Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good options these days.

I haven't sampled the new M70's, but I've got a Pre-64 Fwt 308 that is pretty dreamy...

If going new, I've had great results with Montana, Faux Ti (Gander Mountain Guide - SS in Ti stock - great rifles and within a few ounces of the Ti for lots less cash if you can find one.). Sako A7 does a lot of good stuff for the money, as does the Tikka if you just want an out of the box/tackdriver/put a Limbsaver on it/scope it & go shot .5 MOA with a variety of stuff sort of a rifle - if a little plastic, magazines & no top load don't bother you. Magazines are short for the throats, but they shoot so good it doesn't seem to matter much....

DJ

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes many good options out there for the loony consumer, which is a good thing. While the Winchester EW has had many good reports, I still would opt for the 84L Montana version. For me, 5# 10oz in the Montana and a 24" barrel beats the Win. EW at 7# 2oz and a 22" barrel.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/24/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The best "factory rifle for the money" would be one that you could buy, irregardless of price, use for a good period of time and put on normal wear, and sell for zero or a small loss. \

I'd say a Kimber Montana in 7-08.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The only rifle I can't own in Salvage.

How much cash are you looking to spend? 1K or less can buy a really nice rifle and opens up Montana, Weatherby UL, and even Sako opportunities if you look around a bit.

A NIB Rem 700 Mtn rifle would be a great option if you like SS Remmies....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The FWT forearm is TOO THIN and when made of walnut will flex about as badly as the factory "milk jug" stocks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You're a hard headed SOB ain't ya ? The FWT forearm is TOO THIN and when made of walnut will flex about as badly as the factory "milk jug" stocks. Try free floating one sometime and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that the wood seems too flexible. However, as always, the answer is found in reality, not in theory, and these rifles can shoot. I've seen it enough times to believe otherwise.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
You're a hard headed SOB ain't ya ? The FWT forearm is TOO THIN and when made of walnut will flex about as badly as the factory "milk jug" stocks. Try free floating one sometime and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that the wood seems too flexible. However, as always, the answer is found in reality, not in theory, and these rifles can shoot. I've seen it enough times to believe otherwise.

Blackheart:

You had "a" FWT one time and you extrapolate that to all FWTs?

Gee, I had a steak one time that was too tough. Guess all steaks are bad.

Sorry but your experience with a sample of one, does not trump all the others here, some of whom have expereince with many more. There are currently 4 in my safe that consistently shoot less than MOA and hold their zero from year to year. BTW, the are all free floated.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BH,

do you put the gloves on with everyone you talk with around here?

You have made reference to a sample of one in your earlier post. I'm sure if I look through some of your posts, I can find reference to you "critiqing" others with a similar sample size.

It's possible you just got bad wood...

The half dozen walnut stocked FWT's I've owned where anything but flimsy even after floating the tube.

Last edited by CLB; 03/24/11.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Mine didn't shoot worth a damn until I bedded the action and free floated the barrel. Before that, it was very sensitive to varying pressure points along the forearm and would change point of impact and group size depending on where along the forearm you were resting it. Because of the flexibility, I had to make an unsightly hog trough out of the barrel channel in order to insure no contact. So yeah, the reality is I do have experience with what I speak.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by southtexas

Blackheart:

You had "a" FWT one time and you extrapolate that to all FWTs?

Gee, I had a steak one time that was too tough. Guess all steaks are bad.

Sorry but your experience with a sample of one, does not trump all the others here, some of whom have expereince with many more. There are currently 4 in my safe that consistently shoot less than MOA and hold their zero from year to year. BTW, the are all free floated.
My brother has one too and his stock is just as flexible as mine was. I suppose we both just got an extraordinarily soft piece of wood ? Sure, whatever you say.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
........ a sample of one, does not trump all the others here, some of whom have expereince with many more. There are currently 4 in my safe that consistently shoot less than MOA and hold their zero from year to year. BTW, the are all free floated.

Agreed....a sample of one is no more conclusive with a FW than with any other brand or style of rifles.I could say the same about any number of woodstocked rifle I have shot.

I have had pre 64 FW's with full length bedded stocks that have stayed in zero for years at a stretch.I have not floated them all...these same rifles have been fine shooters.Most have been 270's and 30/06's.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And I suppose that all the FWT's that belong to CF members that shoot well, just happen to have extraordinarily "hard" wood? No one else's experience is valid, only you and your brother's. Sure whatever you say.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had both M70 Varmint as well as M700 Varmint rifles that were difficult shooters and difficult to correct. Shall we make similar broad judgments about them as well? Featherweight Winchesters have proven to be very good shooters in spite of more flexible wood (than some others) and theoretical "problems".

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had both M70 Varmint as well as M700 Varmint rifles that were difficult shooters and difficult to correct. Shall we make similar broad judgments about them as well? Featherweight Winchesters have proven to be very good shooters in spite of more flexible wood (than some others) and theoretical "problems".

Yep, I've seen rifles of all makes and styles with various "problems". That doesn't change the fact that the design of the FWT stock introduces another variable that can be detrimental to performance. Just as the flexibilty of cheap "milk jug" synthetic stocks can be detrimental to performance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
........ a sample of one, does not trump all the others here, some of whom have expereince with many more. There are currently 4 in my safe that consistently shoot less than MOA and hold their zero from year to year. BTW, the are all free floated.

Agreed....a sample of one is no more conclusive with a FW than with any other brand or style of rifles.I could say the same about any number of woodstocked rifle I have shot.

I have had pre 64 FW's with full length bedded stocks that have stayed in zero for years at a stretch.I have not floated them all...these same rifles have been fine shooters.Most have been 270's and 30/06's.
I wasn't speaking of pre 64 FWT's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
No contest....Tikka

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ruger hawkeye S/S, dependable function, accurate, and damned durable, as well as reasonable lightweight.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i really hate to say this but if a guy is broke and just wants to hunt the stevens 200's that have been posted on here for 179 would be the one in my book. i can't like savage but for the price point and the reviews they have been receiving i think it'd be hard for a ONE rifle guy who's on a very limited budget not to be a serious contender. I've seen Rem 700's for as little as 325 new and howa's for 350. a guy could be into a life long hunting rig with ammo/rings/bases for well under 500 if he shopped a bit.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
For the money... Marlin XSorXL-7. I bought an XS-7 in 7mm-08 last year. Its consistently very accurate, handles quite nice, and isn't a bad looking rig. All of that for $339. I put a new Redfield 2-7 on it and I have one hell of a whitetail rifle, no corners cut, for under $500. Thats a bargin in my book.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
i really hate to say this but if a guy is broke and just wants to hunt the stevens 200's that have been posted on here for 179 would be the one in my book. i can't like savage but for the price point and the reviews they have been receiving i think it'd be hard for a ONE rifle guy who's on a very limited budget not to be a serious contender. I've seen Rem 700's for as little as 325 new and howa's for 350. a guy could be into a life long hunting rig with ammo/rings/bases for well under 500 if he shopped a bit.

That's good advice. I've had two of the Stevens 200's and a Howa 1500. No problems with any of them and all shot sub MOA with little work.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.