Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Yea, I know, a dumb question but would like to hear what was your real reason you got into it? For me it is a whole new challenge. I seem to have reached the goals of a firearms hunte (my opion) and am siked about getting close and personal or go without. I'm just nuts about all this new equipment to learn about. It is like a new frontier. 06

Beware the one-gun man.
GB1

T
Tom Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
When I was a kid I could shoot the bow in the backyard a lot but not a gun and I learned about how to shoot that way. I learned to bowhunt as an adult. We can hunt in Oct. for deer and turkey with a bow and then in Nov. and Dec. with a rifle. I like archery and it extends the hunting season. I even hunt with a longbow now too besides the compound and like it a lot. Its a quicker draw and shot, less weight, and its even more focused on the animals than the compound bow. With the compound I'm focussing on pin, peep, form, then animal. With the longbow, I'm watching the animal the whole time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
06,<BR> I got into this sport the first time I got rejected for a deer tag. I was accustom to hunting every year, but to go a year without hunting deer, was going to kill me so I tried it. I am hooked for life now. I yet to bag a deer or elk with my bow, but I feel it is coming. I guess that is how I got into guiding, I just wanted to be in the outdoors. This gave me the opportunity to enjoy Gods gift and to help someone in the process. It also gave me a extended hunting season.<BR> Archery does give me a challenge and a different perspective on hunting so I am glad I took a chance and tried it.<P>86<BR>ps Javelina are fun to hunt with a bow.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
ought six,<BR>I bowhunt for the challenge, native instincts(I'm part Cherokee), it's quieter, you get to see more animals, less expensive to shoot, longer hunting seasons and more animals available to hunt with a bow than a firearm.<BR> <BR>I feel at home with a bow in my hands. I've hunted with a number of different weapons, but always come back to archery. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Good hunting, bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ain't a bow hunter but I couldnt resist telling you guys what my brother said about it.<P>"Them Indians woulda traded their arm, their leg, and their first born son for a good rifle. Now why would a sane man hunt deer with a sharp stick?" [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>I used to hunt with a recurve, but never had enough confidence to try a shot. I sold the bow, and got into flintlock shooting. I may get a compound someday, but it's not very high on my list.<BR>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

B
B
You can deer with a bow in my part of the country from Oct. 1 through Feb. 28. That's enough reason to get started. I've been shooting recurves and longbows for 38 years. I tried to get the same feel with a compound but it never took hold for me. Most of my bow hunting buddies are all solo cam freaks. Nice bows. But for me, it's still the stick and string. <A HREF="http://www.buffalogapsports.com" TARGET=_blank>www.buffalogapsports.com</A>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i bowhunt because the adrenaline rush is awesome.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
The main reason I bowhunt is to spend more time in the field chasing deer, rifle season in my state only lasts two weeks. The best places to hunt trophy deer in my state are closed to firearms hunting and have been for over 20 years. I live in one of the bowhunting only counties and hunters kill half a dozen or more P&Y whitetails every year. The archery state record buck was shot about 5 miles from my house, it scored over 170 P&Y points. Everytime I walk into the woods I have a chance at arrowing a monster. Can't think of a better reason than that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A vary long, and good timed season (erly rut, biger deer). Mostly I do it becaus i can hunt more, but i do enjoy that it is a more chaliging sport. In my state(mass) you can hunt with bow during shotgun and muzzle loading seasons, and i know some people who do for the sport of if. I may this year becaous of a lack of a muzzle loader, but I will use a shotgun.

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,867
Posts18,517,955
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.