Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I have seen this on a few of my factory rem 700's, and am curious why this happens. It is the shiny area on the blued bolt, at the angled portion that guides the bolt during closing rotation....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This peening is from the knife edge of the action, this contact area is when the bolt, upon closing, stops it's forward motion at this contact area. Once the bolt contacts the action in this spot, which the action seems much harder than the bolt as there is little evidence of this contact on the action, you close the bolt.

Is there any issues with the damage seen, or is it normal?

Thanks

Allen

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not normal. Timing is slightly off.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Ok, I recall this discussion earlier.... how can it be fixed... and is it necessary to fix it? I suspect remington will not fix this?

Thanks

Allen

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why wouldn't Remington fix it?

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
This latest rem 700 is the worse of my 6 rifles I just inspected, but all of them contact the same area and show wear.

Ok, I think the fix is to resolder/ braze the handle in the correct location/ rotation?

Allen

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Check out this vid.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_sit...&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=image

If it were my rifle, I would contact Remington.

Or, if you want to spend a few bucks and upgrade, get a PTG bolt handle tig welded onto the bolt body by a GS that understands timing.

Last edited by carbon12; 03/25/11. Reason: more better
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks

So if I understand correctly, the wear I see is from a tight case extraction creating wear, due to the angles not contacting until the last small portion of the angle.

So it was designed to contact the angle of the handle to the angle of the action sooner, give more leverage over a larger area, making a stuck or sticky extraction easier and reducing the contact issues I see.

I suspect getting Remington to fix this isn't likely ?

Allen

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dunno. But, as I said earlier, I would pester Remington first to see what they will offer. One rule of thumb that has worked for me with various CS departments is to document the problem as completely as possible (such as the pics you've posted) and to not accept the first three "No" responses.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That angle on the bolt handle...and the cooresponding angle on the rear of the reciever...is what gives the mechanical advantage needed to begin moving the case rearward from the chamber. This is commonly refered to as the 'camming' angle.

When the cam angles are poorly aligned and/or not lubed (most never lube this angle), excessive wear and reduced mechanical camming occurs. Correcting the cam angle interface can be done by a 'smith than knows his craft. Most of the time, the bolt handle needs to be removed and repositioned.

Bubba the Pipefitter need not apply.....

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What Al and others have said. I encountered it on a 700 action that had been trued along with a new barrel installation. If there is work to true locking lug contact, it will also move the camming surface back.

It seems to be a detail that is often overlooked by some gunsmiths. The first symptom I noticed was a different "feel" to the bolt lift, and reduced extraction power.

The typical cure is repositioning of the bolt handle by a gunsmith who really knows what he is doing.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Unfortunately, I think most 700's have this issue to one degree or another. I was going to purchase a new Ti a couple of years ago and just running the bolt a couple times I could see this was happening. Didn't buy the gun because of it, I do regret not buying it now though!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by carbon12
Check out this vid.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_sit...&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=image

If it were my rifle, I would contact Remington.

Or, if you want to spend a few bucks and upgrade, get a PTG bolt handle tig welded onto the bolt body by a GS that understands timing.

Excellent video - now I understand the issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always put a little lube there.Every 700 I have ever owned has shown some wear there to some degree.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 3,507 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,486
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.