Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Whats the best way to clean the lens of your scope? What do you use?

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
this may not be a fair answer to your question but:

* in the field I use my shirt
* at home I use a synthetic lens cloth and the lens cleaning solution I use for my camera lenses

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A scope's wonderful optical properties can go south pretty fast with improper cleaning. Even with the best of care, which I know isn't always possible, they degrade from cleaning.
If I insisted on using s shirtail, I'd have nothing but Leupold scopes with their super hard Diamond Coat Coatings. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
If I insisted on using s shirtail, I'd have nothing but Leupold scopes with their super hard Diamond Coat Coatings. E

Or Rainguard HD, Leica Aqua Dura, Zeiss Lotu-Tec, Meopta MEO-Shield, Swarovski Swarodur are just a few others with scratch resistant lense coatings.

Now as far as cleaning is concerned, in the field I would use a LensPen and for thorough cleaning I use a soft brush first to remove dust and dirt followed by a liberal soaking of Zeiss spray cleaning solution and wipe that clean with a soft terry cloth type towel.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda funny, although utterly predictable, that Eremicus seems to believe that Leupold is the only manufacturer to use scratch resistant coatings on their lenses.

Maybe all the others can't afford actual crushed diamonds like Leupold uses however. crazy

In the field I too like the lens pen.

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/25/11.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They, actually were one of the last. Swarovski's been using Swarodur for as long as I can remember and Zeiss Lotu-Tec's been out now for several years now. In all honesty, Leupold isn't known for being innovative regarding lense coatings and actually lag behind most by years. They are one of the very best at inventing new names for "technology" that others have used quietly all along.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Leupold or other brand lens pen (they look like they're all made by the same manufacturer) with the brush side first and then carefully use Zeiss lens cleaner tissues. I try not to rub the lens at first but just wipe in one direction and re-crumple the tissue and do it again and again until I have it clean. The I use the chamois side of the lens pen carefully until I have all of the smudges cleared that the Zeiss tissue left.

It works for me and I've been doing it for awhile and never noticed any scratching or problems with it. The Zeiss tissues can even be bought at Wal-Mart, I noticed the other day.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
Whats the best way to clean the lens of your scope? What do you use?

I'm waitng for somebody to show up and solemnly announce you must sprinkle special Optics Pixie Dust on the lens and hold the scope straight up in the moonlight for an hour, never touching the lens........

Me?--I just spit Copenhagen juice on it and rub it with the elbow of my flannel shirt.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
gently use canned air to remove debris. a microtex cloth with optical lense cleaning solution should be used gently. Binos just run under water and then dry with microtex cloth.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I'm waitng for somebody to show up and solemnly announce you must sprinkle special Optics Pixie Dust on the lens and hold the scope straight up in the moonlight for an hour with ever touching the lens........

Casey, Casey, Casey ... to offer such ruinous advice as this is unconscionable. That is so wrong on two very important points. First, you advocate actually allowing some substance to come into contact with the lens itself. Everyone knows that the only way to clean a lens is to first bathe it with the breeze created by the beating of the wings of a (not too-large) hummingbird. If the lens has been so abused that this fails to clean it completely, the harsh measure of making a circular motion in the air (never touching the lens itself) with a cloth woven from the underhair of unborn fawns might be attempted, but the chances are good that a heavy-handed person will cause damage. Note - it is best if the lens itself and the cloth are in separate rooms when this motion is performed. If that isn't bad enough, you then suggest allowing actual, unfiltered light to touch it for an extended period. The foolishness of this notion is so obvious that I won't waste time discussing it. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have friend who cleaned his with WD40 and oiled it down real good with WD40 before storing it. It didn't work to well eek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just dunk it in the nearest stream

and then carefully wipe it off with the cleanest part of your dirty shirt. sick

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I have friend who cleaned his with WD40 and oiled it down real good with WD40 before storing it. It didn't work to well eek

I know guys who swear by Rain-X too.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nikon gave him a new scope!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably felt sorry for him..

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Parker's Perfect is pretty good anti fog stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry one of those micro clothes sold at Wally world for $1.50 in a film can in my pocket. Keeps the dirt out and readily available.

Last edited by Prwlr; 03/26/11.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
When I bought my 3x leupold the salesman said leupold tested several cleaners and anti fog cleaners. The salesman said leupold is only recommending Kleer Vu ANTI-FOG Cleaner.

Google - kleervu.com

I bought a lot. Works as advertised, and you can purchase a very small bottle for backpacking. Works on my glasses too. matt

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Lenspen or synthetic lens cleaning cloth with isopropyl alcohol, which is the major ingredient in the lens cleaning solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 57 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.