Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Also been kinda a Leupold guy, but a buddy of mine swears by the Bushnell 4200s.

Anyways, looking at picking up a scope with resetable turrets just to play with them a bit on my .243 and knock out targets out at 600 yards or so. (I know I know 600 yards isn't very far for some here, but hey it is for me and gives me a chance to plink with a new scope wink )

Looking at picking up either the Bushnell 4200 4-16X40, Leupold 4.5-14X40. I know there are a bunch of better options with resetable turrets and more, but they cost more. Trying to keep scope costs under $450 or so.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use VX-3's and have never used the Bushy, so I would lean to Leupy.
You really need to hear someone who has had experiences with both.
Ernie

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several Leupold scopes (Bakers dozen) and also the Bushnell which are cheaper in some respects. I have recently found the Bushnell 4200 & 3200 model scopes to be brighter and the Leupold on variable scopes in the 4.5 x 14, 6 x 20 etc. were not as clear in the upper powers, for what ever reason. This was not so on the Bushnell scopes as of last Christmas time.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have both an older leupold vx 3 and a new bushnell 6500. The bushnell is brighter and clearer to my eyes. I haven't had a chance to play with the bushnell much, but reports on the net say that elevation repetability is spot on where as windage click repeatability can be hit or miss. Not a concern for me because I don't mess with the windage turret.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 03/12/11.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also the leupold is only a 40mm without target turrets and the bushnell has a 50mm objective, so not exactly a fair comparison.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a VX-3, several 4200's and a 6500. The 4200/6500 Bushnell Elites have very bright, clear glass. The new VX-3, IMHO is about at bright. I'd put all three series in the same class.

With this specific Leupy, the 4.5-14, pay attention to the specs. Check out the 100 yd. FOV at lowest power vs. the competition.

DF

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Never owned the Bushy's and cant speak as to their merits, but I have shot a few at the range. The 4200 and 3200 I looked at were very clear. I am die hard Leupy guy. They are bright and clear, but not the best of either thats out there, but...........in my experience they are rugged as they come. As far as I'm concerned they are ther most reliable. As far as that goes I will more than likely never know because I have no plans on changing. If it aint broke....

Joseph

Joseph
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They seem to be comparable in glass to my eyes but when you factor in reputation, everything changes. Bushness has arguably the poorest reputation in the industry for customer service. I suggest buying from them only what you can't get elsewhere.

That said, I have a 6500 4.5-30 and really like it. Nobody else can touch this scope for under $2000. It was worth the gamble. So far it has paid off.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After running a 3200 that I was quite impressed with (10X40 mil dot, wth the water-faucet knobs), I bought a 4200. Man, that was a mistake! The glass was very clear and bright. I put it on a then-new .223 and went to the range. @ 1- 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 - well, could be better, but it IS a new rifle. 200 yd groups were in the 3-4" range... WTF!
I sat there head-scratching & looking. It finally ocurred to me to check. Parallax was so bad at 200 (no parallax adjustment) that I could walk the crosshairs all the way around the center diamond on a Redfield target and never touch red! That's about 6" plus!
I called Bushnell. It took a five-person shuffle before I talked to anyone who even knew what parallax was. Finally was put through to a "tech" that knew what I was talking about. He stated all their non AO scopes were set parallax free at 100 yards. Also said that would "not cause a problem" further out. When I related my findings, he told me I had "over adjusted" the scope causing the problem. I explained the scope was mounted in Burris signatures with the inserts, and I only had to turn the turret dial less than 1/2 a turn (both dials). He then got really snotty and said I could send the scope in, but there wasn't anything wrong with it. He also had the gall to say to be sure and enclose payment for service and return shipping (almost $50 bucks). All this on a brand-new scope.
Well, my dealer sent this scope back to the distributor as defective merchandise. He traded/gave me a Nikon Buckmaster w/BDC. It is still on the rifle. The combo is easily capable of less than MOA - sometimes much less, if I am having a good day - all the way out to 400, which is as far as I am able to go on my home range. I have given Bushnell my last dime. They don't care about me, so I don't care about them. Others may do as they please. End of rant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had both and would pick the Leupold VX-3 for sure.

1 and done
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clarity is subject to how "clear" your eyes are and how the deflect light. Every scope maker tries to make their glass meet the clarity of the eyes of the masses that will likely be using it. Anyway, it is very subjective.

I sent 4 Bushnells back for repair with the same results as listed above. They wanted me to pay shipping both ways and $8 for repair. These were new scopes and it was their second trip to Bushnell to be "fixed". After the snotty B.S. of "send in payment". I gave the scopes to the neighbor kids to play with. Bushnell sucks! Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Bug
After running a 3200 that I was quite impressed with (10X40 mil dot, wth the water-faucet knobs), I bought a 4200. Man, that was a mistake! The glass was very clear and bright. I put it on a then-new .223 and went to the range. @ 1- 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 - well, could be better, but it IS a new rifle. 200 yd groups were in the 3-4" range... WTF!
I sat there head-scratching & looking. It finally ocurred to me to check. Parallax was so bad at 200 (no parallax adjustment) that I could walk the crosshairs all the way around the center diamond on a Redfield target and never touch red! That's about 6" plus!
I called Bushnell. It took a five-person shuffle before I talked to anyone who even knew what parallax was. Finally was put through to a "tech" that knew what I was talking about. He stated all their non AO scopes were set parallax free at 100 yards. Also said that would "not cause a problem" further out. When I related my findings, he told me I had "over adjusted" the scope causing the problem. I explained the scope was mounted in Burris signatures with the inserts, and I only had to turn the turret dial less than 1/2 a turn (both dials). He then got really snotty and said I could send the scope in, but there wasn't anything wrong with it. He also had the gall to say to be sure and enclose payment for service and return shipping (almost $50 bucks). All this on a brand-new scope.
Well, my dealer sent this scope back to the distributor as defective merchandise. He traded/gave me a Nikon Buckmaster w/BDC. It is still on the rifle. The combo is easily capable of less than MOA - sometimes much less, if I am having a good day - all the way out to 400, which is as far as I am able to go on my home range. I have given Bushnell my last dime. They don't care about me, so I don't care about them. Others may do as they please. End of rant.

Like I said, only get from them what you can't get elsewhere- there is basically no warranty. I won't go into my horror stories but they are legion...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Leupy Customer Service, reportedly, far superior to Bushnell. I've never had to use either, but that has to be a consideration. 4200/6500 series have great glass, but so does the new VX-3, upgraded from older Leupy scopes, IMHO.

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have both in 3.5-10 or 3-9. One is about $500, the other <$200 on sale at cabelas for the club members, $300 at other dealers. Also have a 3200 on my AR($200).

Visualy I cant really tell the difference. Atleast there isnt enough to think about. My 3200 tracks great. Havent tested the 4200. VX-3 tracks fine also.

I think this computes:

Leupold VX-3 = $300 scope with $200 warranty and service

Bushnell 4200 = $300 scope with no warranty or service

Your mileage may vary.

If your looking at paying anywhere neer the VX-3 price for a Bushnell. Dont!!

Rick
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the bushnell elite series, but agree with the other posters about their CS (they have none). I sent in a scope recently for repair and they didn't even give me an option to pay for fixing the scratched lenses. They simply sent it back to me and said it checked out?????????? I'll use it until it breaks and then probably consider buying a leupy. It's damn disgusting to me that a company that makes such a nice product has to skimp on what is really important (their customer service) frown

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
FWIW. I think Leupold has better customer service- no doubt. Other assets are light weight, better durability and longer eye relief. I own other scopes but still consider Leupold the high water mark. With the caveats- I don't twist turrets after sighting in. I consider 400 yards in Montana wind really too far, so I don't need to twist anything -except maybe the sling...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Also been kinda a Leupold guy, but a buddy of mine swears by the Bushnell 4200s.

Anyways, looking at picking up a scope with resetable turrets just to play with them a bit on my .243 and knock out targets out at 600 yards or so. (I know I know 600 yards isn't very far for some here, but hey it is for me and gives me a chance to plink with a new scope )

Looking at picking up either the Bushnell 4200 4-16X40, Leupold 4.5-14X40. I know there are a bunch of better options with resetable turrets and more, but they cost more. Trying to keep scope costs under $450 or so.

hand down Leupold!

Personally,I would look closer at Nikon. Excellent glass,resettable turrets,fast focus front ocular and slightly better price.

I have had piles of Leupolds and have a 6.5x20x50 LRT left that are all Nikons now,mainly 3x9x40 Buckmasters and the fairly new 3x12x42 side focus Monarch and i like them all better because of the above features(and i spin all my turrets for long range shooting)

look hard at the 4.5x14x40 Buckmasters and you will see!

new hember "here" and getting my feet wet,nice place.
some may recognize me from other sites?

Last edited by rem06; 07/06/11.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was once a leupold guy, but I have used their excellent customer service more times than I thought necessary. I have switched to the 4200's. how can that scope be beat for $200? I have never broke one and I am not too nice to my guns. I agree they are heavier and there is a stigma with the placement of a bushnell logo on a fine rifle, but they flat work.

my expierience with a 3200 was that I could not sell it fast enough. big optical difference between the 4200 and 3200.....at least to me.

I plan on stockpiling the 3-9 4200's as I think they are going to have to go up in price at some point.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have some serious doubts about the "bunch of better options."
Both the Bushnell 4200 and the VX3 Leupolds are right up there with the best when it comes to reliability and performance.
Most Leupolds have more eye relief and larger eye boxes than most 4200 Bushys. That gap narrows with the 4.5-14 Leupolds.
Leupolds do cost more but that's because you also get more. Super hard coatings are one, their advanced gas fill, which I understand the new Bushnell Elites are sort of copying.
You can also buy most Leupolds with a wide variety of reticles and most can be custom fitted with not only special reticles, but adjustment knobs as well.
Still, for playing with a .243 as you describe, I see no reason not to try out a Bushy 4200. I shoot with several that use their 3200's for that sort of thing. Whichever you get, I'd suggest an Adjustable Objective or a Side Focus/Parallax model. E

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I took a chance on a 4-16X40 AO 4200 that I found in a Pawn shop a couple of years back. I really like the scope, I'd put it on par with my 4-12X40 AO VX-II. From what I've understood from a couple of guys that have had problems with their Bushnell is their "Bullet Proof Warranty" isn't that great. I've heard that Bushnell's CS is terrible, if my scope fails I'm SOL since I bought it used. So far it has been a good servicable scope and it sits a top my .25-06.

I'd take a look at Weaver's Tactical Grand Slam scope at Midway. I've got one in 3.5-10X40 and it seems to be a decent scope for the money. I bought it while I'm saving up for a FFP scope that will probably be a Leupold.

I plan on stockpiling the 3-9 4200's as I think they are going to have to go up in price at some point.

It was my understanding that Bushnell dropped the 3200 and 4200 line and renamed it just Elite, and Elite Tactical. They don't show the either 32 or 42 series on their web site anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,381
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.