I don't feed em I eat em
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bigbrie
Any one ever use and like salt substitute? and what brand's? Thank's in advance
They all have an aftertaste. Doctor tell you you had to quit real salt? Morton's makes (or used to, anyway) a half and half salt that's tolerable, but it's still fifty percent real salt, so it only cuts salt use down by half. The pure fake stuff tastes bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quitting salt is a lot like stopping smoking. Eventially you don't miss it. And soon you can just be tasting real food.

FWIW, after the Dr took me off of salt, I always kept a large bag of Frito's in my work truck in the hot summer time. Just enough salt for sweaty days.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you are taking any meds be sure and check with Dr. or Pharmacist. Some of my RX,s actually say do not use salt substitutes while taking this medication.

Wattsthis
"All I'm say'n is don't get old. You'll live to regret it"
John Wayne Movie...The Train Robbers
B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
No the doc didn't tell me to stop but I am on bp meds and I love salt so I think it would be a good idea to at least cut down my salt consumsion. I have tried a couple of them before and thay all have the bad after taste. So I was hoping that there was something out there that was half way decent.

I don't feed em I eat em
IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
We switched to Mortons lite salt. It has half the sodium of regular table salt. I cant tell the differance in taste and there doesnt seem to be a after taste

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Mrs.Dash

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Graham Kerr suggests cayenne, lemon zest, lemon juice and others spices to kind of trick the senses.He calls them bright notes.

Last edited by 280shooter; 03/27/11.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The American Legion had a lot of guys who couldn't have salt. They had Mrs. Dash with the salt and pepper shakers. I don't think that it's a substitute for salt. You can use it the same way. I like Old Bay on French Fries and Popcorn. You can try them.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
We'll I just tried the morton lite salt with half the sodium of table salt and it's not bad, I like it. and one reason I was looking for the substitute is because I been on a radish kick latly and I like a little salt on them. How does every-body store there radishes? I was taught to cut the greens and ends off and put them in water but I dont know if thats the proper way.

I don't feed em I eat em
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have never done it that way until last week when I got some really hot ones. I put them in water in the fridge for a few days and they are perfect now.

Wattsthis
"All I'm say'n is don't get old. You'll live to regret it"
John Wayne Movie...The Train Robbers
J
J
Ingredients:

* 1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
* 1 Tbsp garlic powder
* 1 Tbsp onion powder
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
* 1 tsp dried savory
* 1 tsp ground mace
* 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tsp dried sage
* 1 tsp dried marjoram
* 1 tsp ground dried grated lemon peel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmark
Ingredients:

* 1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
* 1 Tbsp garlic powder
* 1 Tbsp onion powder
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
* 1 tsp dried savory
* 1 tsp ground mace
* 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tsp dried sage
* 1 tsp dried marjoram
* 1 tsp ground dried grated lemon peel

I have been told to get off salt which is funny because a pound of salt lasts s three years.

Your herb combo sounds really good. We us herbs and spices to impart flavour and no one ever asks to pass the salt at the table.

Go cold turkey and use flavour to enhance taste, you will not be sorry.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wattsthis
I have never done it that way until last week when I got some really hot ones. I put them in water in the fridge for a few days and they are perfect now.
water makes them hotter....well i though so................Q. What causes my radishes to be too "hot"?

A. The "hotness" of radishes results from the length of time they have grown rather than from their size. The radishes either grew too slowly or are too old.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
no salt substitute here. I use Kosher salt, but just hold back a bit when applying it.

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bigbrie
No the doc didn't tell me to stop but I am on bp meds and I love salt so I think it would be a good idea to at least cut down my salt consumsion. I have tried a couple of them before and thay all have the bad after taste. So I was hoping that there was something out there that was half way decent.

I couldn't help noticing that your forum name starts with "Big". I use to salt everything I ate and fought the salt-thingie for a long time, too... and found that BODY WEIGHT has a lot to do with high BP. Tough as it is, you might make a BIG effort to lose some weight since ANY weight loss can help to reduce high BP.

However, if you do lose weight, keep a close check on your BP since you don't want it to get too low, either.

Hope you can beat this high BP... it's really important to keep the BP within a "reasonable" range since high BP is the cause of a good many major health problems, especially as you get older... some of the "problems" get worse and become truly "deadly". Strokes & heart attacks are often common among those folks with high BP and can drastically change your life.

Some folks who are able to lose a LOT of weight find they can get off the BP meds and resume a "normal" life-style again without the "meds". I hope you can do that!

Good luck in your efforts... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (348srfun, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 16penny, 20 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,747
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.